Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

To me this is plain stupid............

DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
I know that despite my feelings about CAC.......it does add value to some who want JA's blessing but this is going too far.

There is a 1941-S dime PCGS64FB with a Gold CAC on ebay............PRICE $175!!!

Price list for 41-S PCGS listing:

64FB 19
65FB 37
66FB 55
67FB 275

Now I know (from what is stated on these forums) that the Green sticker is solid for grade and Gold is undergraded by a point.

So this should be priced at 65 money for the value assumed by sticker.

Instead it is priced at over 3X 66 money which is 2 points over grade.

So it looks to me that the whole sticker thing is more of a prestige thing and not about value at all!

Comments

• Options
    CoppercolorCoppercolor Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭
    While dating a girl in college and lieing on the beach one day I noticed there were pink grains of sand mixed in with yellow white and orange. We began collecting them in a jar because they were pretty and rare. Her dad had over 300 baseball hats he'd found along the highway hung in the rafters in his beach house basement rafters.

Since then I've never been surprised what people are drawn to collect and how heavily motivated to accumulate
    I'd like my copper well done please!
  • Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭
    No one has a gun to your head telling you to press the BIN button. People can (and do) ask whatever they want for their collectibles. Just because you wouldn't pay it, doesn't mean that someone else won't.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    PatchesPatches Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭
    I know it's frustrating because it sounds like you want the coin...but it isn't worth $175 if nobody pays that. Let it sit and rot for many years and wait for another opportunity. And by the way, Gold doesn't mean it's undergraded by 1 point...it means he thinks it should grade higher. I bet some AU58 golds could go MS-65 with his gold stickers.
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    You can ask anything you what for anything. It sure doesn't mean anyone will pay that amount though......image
    Becky
  • Options
    No I don't want or need the coin....I just look at all 41-S's for varieties.

If it was a variety I probably would buy it and send it to PCGS for reholder and attribution.......and sell the cracked out Gold sticker to some collector here for moon money!image
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>There is a 1941-S dime PCGS64FB with a Gold CAC on ebay............PRICE $175!!! >>

funny how people always leave the most important part out. never ceases to amaze me.

O-B-O!

edited to add: if anything is to be picked on, seems to me it is the fact that it says FB in the title but isn't on the holder.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When not dealing with a standardized product, the seller tries to differentiate his product from that of the competition in order to attempt to get the maximum price for it. It's all marketing. You either go with the program, or you don't.

Before you buy a product which you anticipate selling later on, an intelligent purchaser tries to learn the most prudent manner to obtain the product, and when buying it, is also thinking about how he will sell it later on.

Paying a strong premium for a product which is not scarce, is a guarantee of not getting your money back when you sell it. I don't care what the product may be. Many people get buried in coin purchases. I'm not one of them.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The value of a rare coin is what a willing buyer and seller will agree on. I think the "willing buyer" is probably rarer than the coin in this example.

Why not go find an inexpensive MS64 to fill the hole.
    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,193 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I know that despite my feelings about CAC.......it does add value to some who want JA's blessing but this is going too far.

There is a 1941-S dime PCGS64FB with a Gold CAC on ebay............PRICE $175!!!

Price list for 41-S PCGS listing:

64FB 19
    65FB 37
    66FB 55
    67FB 275

Now I know (from what is stated on these forums) that the Green sticker is solid for grade and Gold is undergraded by a point.

So this should be priced at 65 money for the value assumed by sticker.

Instead it is priced at over 3X 66 money which is 2 points over grade.

So it looks to me that the whole sticker thing is more of a prestige thing and not about value at all! >>

The bold/underline is wrong.
    A gold sticker indicates the coin is simply under-graded. Could be a point. Could be two. Could be three.

peacockcoins

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I once bought an original roll of 1941-S dimes. I could tell it was original in a tube because all the coins were from the same couple of die marriages/die states and all had matching surfaces including especially the edge reeding. Beautiful coins most 64-66 and about half FB. Sold off a few but still have most of them.. these are common coins.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No one has a gun to your head telling you to press the BIN button. People can (and do) ask whatever they want for their collectibles. Just because you wouldn't pay it, doesn't mean that someone else won't.

How very true.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,767 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's simply a BIN or best offer; just walk away.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of course it's stupid.

If two experts appraised your home for widely different amounts, you'd be pretty nervous about its actual value. Banks and potential buyers wouldn't even look at the higher value. If both appraisals came in about the same, everyone would be more comfortable with the transaction.

In our hobby, a knowledgeable individual looks at your house from across the street (through plastic), can't even see see the basement (rims), and determines that the first appraisal service got it wrong. Funny huh?

Do I submit coins to CAC and look for coins wearing a bean when buying? Yes, of course. Do I think it improves the coin? Of course not, but I'm not blind to what the market thinks. If I was one of those collectors who bought but never sold, I'd think the sticker game was pretty silly.
  • Options
    KoveKove Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭✭
    As others have correctly stated, a gold sticker means the coin is undergraded by AT LEAST one point.

My AVERAGE upgrade on cracked out gold stickered coins is 1.5 points.

It would not surprise me one bit to see a gold stickered 65 end up in a 67 holder. But, I wouldn't pay 67 money without seeing the coin in-hand first.
  • Options
    It's a 64!! So a 2 point upgrade would be 66 worth 55....NOT....175!!!!
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, the things we THINK we know, but we find out we DON'T know....

As stated by others, your assumption is incorrect regarding the gold sticker.

Always good to get your story straight before you start a rant image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It's a 64!! So a 2 point upgrade would be 66 worth 55....NOT....175!!!! >>

Higher grade does not equal higher price. It's also about scarcity. Like it or not, there are far less PCGS64 + CACs than there are PCGS66 graded coins. Similar concept for "lowball" grade collectors. A coin may be plentiful in G/VG/F grades, but scarce in Poor-Fair grades, and command a higher price despite the lower grade.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,000 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At one point, gold beans were scarce and there were a couple folks paying dumb money for them because they were collecting them. Now they are not so scarce, but smoeone is still hoping to land moon money for them.
  • Options
    >>>Like it or not, there are far less PCGS64 + CACs than there are PCGS66 graded coins. <<<

I really like this statement!image Are we now collecting by least graded coins in a grade pop!image

UNBELIEVABLE!!!
  • Options
    vibr0nicvibr0nic Posts: 614 ✭✭✭
    This just in: Someone has a ludicrous asking price on eBay. Details at 11.
    I like large size currency and silver dollars.
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This just in: Someone has a ludicrous asking price on eBay. Details at 11. >>

This. image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,000 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This just in: Someone has a ludicrous asking price on eBay. Details at 11. >>

Yah, but who wants to wait until 11?image
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,888 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OGH + gold CAC. I'm sure the seller figures that to some people this is rare and enticing, and much more collectable than a recently graded MS66.

It may not be for any of us. But I wouldn't be shocked if someone paid a $100 premium for it.
    Lance.
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see people asking ludicrous money for coins all of the time. I don't see how some of them stay in business, but that's not my problem. It's old news.

I go to shows and some dealers have had the same coins in their cases for over a year. It's like they have a traveling museum rather than they are selling coins. So what? I don't understand the point of the OP. I have been collecting coins for 50 years, and this is one thing that has remained the same. If you don't like the asking price of a coin, don't buy it.

I forgot to mention one thing. I won't pay a premium for a sticker, a plus, a star, etc. But I will pay a premium for a coin that is nice for the grade. I make that determination for myself.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭

Seriously, the last thing we need is threads about overpriced coins on ebay...
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,485 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>No one has a gun to your head telling you to press the BIN button. People can (and do) ask whatever they want for their collectibles. Just because you wouldn't pay it, doesn't mean that someone else won't. >>

P. T. Barnum and I agree with you. There's a sucker born every day.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crazy!!

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭
    Gotta say, it's a really nice looking coin. I guess the OGH gives it a premium in the sellers opinion.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options

<< <i>It's a 64!! So a 2 point upgrade would be 66 worth 55....NOT....175!!!! >>

The only person who seems to think it's "worth" $175 is the seller. A BIN price doesn't really mean anything.
    “When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.” — Benjamin Franklin

My icon IS my coin. It is a gem 1949 FBL Franklin.
  • Options
    thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You can ask anything you what for anything. It sure doesn't mean anyone will pay that amount though......image >>

image Very true.
    I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I need to do an ebay BIN where I have a dime priced for a HUGE amount...just to get a thread generated about it image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

<< <i>>>>Like it or not, there are far less PCGS64 + CACs than there are PCGS66 graded coins. <<<

I really like this statement!image Are we now collecting by least graded coins in a grade pop!image

UNBELIEVABLE!!! >>

I have one of these in PCGS 15, but with 2 gold stickers on it.........I want $595 for it.......

......I collect old stuff......
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I predict (you read it here first) - even after all the OGH coins have been cracked and maxed out in new holders, people will still pay more for OGH coins just because they are in "classic" holders, even if everyone acknowledges that there no more undergraded coins in OGH holders.

Collectors needs distinction, and we are getting to the point where even a generic coin like an 1881-S Morgan in 63 or 65, with zero chance to upgrade, will be worth more in an OGH than a "regular" holder.
  • Options
    machoponchomachoponcho Posts: 355 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I predict (you read it here first) - even after all the OGH coins have been cracked and maxed out in new holders, people will still pay more for OGH coins just because they are in "classic" holders, even if everyone acknowledges that there no more undergraded coins in OGH holders.

Collectors needs distinction, and we are getting to the point where even a generic coin like an 1881-S Morgan in 63 or 65, with zero chance to upgrade, will be worth more in an OGH than a "regular" holder. >>

Exactly my observations. It is getting less and less about the actual coin and more and more about the opinion of condition relating to the coin. Even beyond that, we are now paying premiums based on what the coin is housed in and what kind of official stickers are affixed to the coin holder. For better or worse, this is what the market has turned into and has shown no signs of divergence.

As to the OP, the dime is likely what would be called MS65FB or MS66FB by the "normal" standards in professional grading rooms today. As you have rightly pointed out, that would still only boost value to $40 to $60 or thereabouts. Any premium beyond that the seller is hoping to net because of the gold CAC sticker. That gold CAC sticker is worth a premium in and of itself because it is collectible. For better or for worse. . .
    I have existed since the creation of this world and will exist until its end. Only my form will change. For these 80 human life years, I have the benefit of having a functioning body and consciousness. I will not waste this opportunity.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    People buy, and pay premiums for, labels, stickers, plastic, inserts all the time..... collectors do that..... to some it is important, to others, it means nothing. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    If you don't like the price, don't buy it.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file