Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How would you go about getting this reholdered, better to leave it?

panexpoguypanexpoguy Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
Hope the images worked. New to this concept. Would like to get this in PCGS holder. What are the ups and downs? What would you do with this? Thanks for the education.

Comments

• Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

no pics yet... keep trying (copy the image address or run it through photo bucket)

Erik
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,511 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You have no images at all. You need to open an account with a photo service site, like Photobucket, and then use the picture icon on the site, next to the U, to access the Photobucket pictures so that they can be viewed here.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...or you could right-click on the photo and select "copy image address" and then select the picture icon (4th button) located to the right-side of the Underline button, then paste the image address inside the box and wallah image

Erik
  • Options
    Figure it out, but images are different sizes, need some practice. This is currently in a pretty old NGC holder (though I don't know how old)
  • Options
    That is an NGC "Soap Bar" holder as some call it.

My advice is not to reholder it unless you think it will upgrade.

You will have to pay the grading (Crossover-Fee) and a % fee based on value.

Morgan Everyman Set
    Member, Society of Silver Dollar Collectors.
    Looking for PCGS AU58+ 1901-P, 1896-O, & 1894-O
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    I like it where it is.image
    Becky
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,511 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would leave that one alone. I don't think that there is any upside to cracking it out because it appears to be a bit dull.

The Pan-Pac half dollar often comes with so-so luster, even in Mint State, and this piece appears to be on the "quiet side." The coin appears to be a very nice, original piece, but I doubt that you will do better than MS-66, and there is strong possibility that you will get a lower grade. There is also the matter that it is in an old NGC holder. There those who view these pieces like coins in PCGS holders with a green label or housed in a "rattle slab." In other words some people think that NGC's grading was more conservative during that era.

My advice is leave it where it is.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree....leave it as is.

Tom

• Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll bet the coin is pretty. The pics not so much. Send it to PCGS for a cross.

K
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Leave it as is....Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,025 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Leave it as is....Cheers, RickO >>

esp. Seeing that it is a Green label, no-line Fatslab!

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am in the leave it as is camp

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    leave it. nice coin!
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suspect the coin looks better in hand than in the photos.

I would leave the coin just as it is unless you intend to sell it soon.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,485 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I like it where it is.image >>

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    I was thinking of trying for a crossover. But I am fine with leaving it where it is. No plans to sell it ever. Waited too long to actually get one!
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    BTW, welcome to the boards! image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image Please leave it in the old no line soap bar slab as...

imageimage
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    Not in a million years would I even think of cracking that out of its old NGC slab.

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let it be, let it be, let it be.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Send it in with a box of chocolates and cross your fingers.
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    My only concern is that the old no line NGC holders allowed for the coins to continue to tone. This one certainly has enough toning already, doesn't need to get any darker.

Some people believe the old NGC holdered coins are worth a premium. I do not believe this, and I have had all my fat NGC holdered coins re-holdered. If you want to try for a crossover to PCGS at same grade, you have nothing to lose, and certainly a bit to gain in value. The PCGS charge of 1% of value for crossovers is really not much.

If I owned this coin, I would try for the PCGS crossover at grade. If it fails, I would have NGC reholder the coin.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Store it in a good environment.
    Other than that, leave it as is, and maybe send to CAC if it hasn't been already.

That's the only thing I would think of doing to it.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    KoveKove Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭✭
    It's unfortunate in the commem market, but the value of that coin (which looks nice to me) will be dragged down by some of the lesser Pan-Pacs that NGC has put in 66 holders in the 20 years since that one was graded. If I owned the coin, I'd attempt a cross to PCGS and get a sticker on it.
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    LEAVE IT WHERE IT IS!!! (It's worth more in that holder than any other you can get today)
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    First attempt to photograph my own coin. Ever. Are these better than the original post or just 'different'
    [URL=http://s1247.photobucket.com/user/panexpoguy/media/panpacobvfinal.jpg.html]image[/URL]
    [URL=http://s1247.photobucket.com/user/panexpoguy/media/panpacrev1.jpg.html]image[/URL]
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It's unfortunate in the commem market, but the value of that coin (which looks nice to me) will be dragged down by some of the lesser Pan-Pacs that NGC has put in 66 holders in the 20 years since that one was graded. If I owned the coin, I'd attempt a cross to PCGS and get a sticker on it. >>

This. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    I think the coin may be already too dark to grade 66 again if the current pics are accurate.
    I would leave it in its tomb.
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How do YOU like the pic? Does it look like the coin in hand?
    I think it's a great commem and agree with leaving it in current holder.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin. Your last photos show luster better than the first photos.

To answer your question, answer this one first....... WHY do you want to get it in PCGS plastic?

Acceptable reasons would be for the PCGS Registry (if you play that game), to maximize resale potential (uncertain in this case), or perhaps, you just like the look of PCGS slabs better.

If for any other reason, leave it alone. Others have correctly stated that it might not cross at grade. If it crosses at a lower grade you end up with

A) the same coin
    B) a new holder
    C) a lower numerical grade
    D) less money in your bank account (grading fees)

More downside than upside in my opinion.
  • Options
    thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Steady as she goes. Let her continue sleeping in that vintage bed.
    I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful coin regardless of which holder you choose to have it in. Perhaps worth more in PCGS plastic these days, but it's really up to you. Might be nice to see the edge, in the new style pronged holders. Don't think the toning was influenced by the holder, but I have had Washies tone up quite a bit with the old white anacs slabs.

Anyway -- not sure how PCGS grades high-level pan-pac's. The overall deeper toning on your example may garner a 65 grade from PCGS, but of course from an image, that's a WAG. Doesn't matter, again, what they grade it, if you intend to keep it forever -- IMO. Just do what you want with it, and enjoy the coin. image
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm in the "get it in a PCGS holder" camp.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You have a beautiful coin. To get it "re-holdered" doesn't change the fact that is still a knock-out.
  • Options
    crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623
    I don't think it will ever bring 66 money but I am all but certain in thinking it will bring the most it will ever in it's current holder.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,718 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My advice is to buy an attractive PCGS MS66 PanPac half and sell this one to someone who'll pay the premium that everyone seems to indicate there will be on this coin just because it's in an old holder.

Edit: Actually, buy a PCGS MS65 that is more attactive than this one. (Not a fan of the overall dark toning.)
  • Options
    I like this coin just fine. It has a good deal more luster on the front than I am able to show as I have not imaged coins before, all my work is in stamps so flat stuff is easy. It has a pinkish/rose/copper front and back and then goes into some greens, and purples at the edges. I don't need a higher grade, but I would not want it to keep toning if it is fact progressing in the holder. I like it just where it is now, which is why I bought it. If it is stable in this holder, then I would leave it. If it is unstable, then I would prefer to have it in PCGS since most of what I have is in PCGS. If it didn't cross, I would be out some money but nothing else, right? Thanks for the education.

A couple more shots just for practice.
    [URL=http://s1247.photobucket.com/user/panexpoguy/media/test2.jpg.html]image[/URL]
    [URL=http://s1247.photobucket.com/user/panexpoguy/media/test.jpg.html]image[/URL]
  • Options
    CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NGC was once pretty lenient about putting lusterless PanPac s and other commems such as ARKs into 65 or better holders, and there is no way you should try to reholder it now.
    Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type
  • Options
    When I push the saturation the image gets more like it looks in person. This is probably the best representation. If it is stable, I will leave it where it is.
    [URL=http://s1247.photobucket.com/user/panexpoguy/media/saturation.jpg.html]image[/URL]
  • Options
    Depending on what part of the country you are located, take this to one of the big coin shows.

Many forum members have tables and/or attend them. Have one look at it in hand.

Another option is to have Todd Pollock or someone else photograph it.

My opinion is to leave it as is.
    Morgan Everyman Set
    Member, Society of Silver Dollar Collectors.
    Looking for PCGS AU58+ 1901-P, 1896-O, & 1894-O
  • Options
    This best shows the luster and color on the front. Last image, I am done!
    [URL=http://s1247.photobucket.com/user/panexpoguy/media/luster.jpg.html]image[/URL]
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its just fine in its NGC holder. Unless you want it in a new NGC holder I would leave it alone. I would call NGC and see if I could get it reholdered at 66 or upgraded to 67. Its a really nice coin.
    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,888 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's a coin whose time to sell has come. It will continue to darken and be worth less. If you love it and want to keep it get it in a new holder.
    Lance.
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To my eye, the only type of toning that's flattered by a prong-less NGC holder is vivid rainbow.
    Compounded with the fact (previously stated by mozin and Lance) that the coin will get darker
    from that era of NGC plastic, I would try to cross it to PCGS (maybe even at 65+ minimum).
    Failing that, I'd unload it and reinvest in a different Pan-Pac. The issue is not rare with pretty
    toning.
  • Options
    Despite other opinion, I think it's a clean, solid 66.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file