Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Today's an important day to me....

Today is the day. After spending over 40 years rooting for one pro football team they finally pushed me over the edge. Oh sure, I've questioned many draft picks over the years (perhaps all of them) and I even questioned the drafting of Trent. But you give up the season after two games? You trade your #3 pick in the draft one year later for a 1st rounder next year to a team that will make the playoffs and therefore be a much lower pick? When you do NOT have a decent RB behind the guy? Drafting Weeden without ever giving McCoy a real chance, "pushing" Holmgrem out last year in the middle of a season.....sure all those things helped bring me to this edge I've been leaning on for a while. But now my frustration has led to a place I never thought I'd be- OUTSIDE looking in. F'get y'all!

Football may never feel the same....but I think my next purchase (that won't be a card of course) will be a Calvin jersey or a Lions hat.
I'm a big Nolan Ryan fan OK???!!!

Comments

• Options
    Besides the guys that their favorite teams are the ones who last year won a championship, we;ve all been through what you are going through. It's horrible. Your choice though on bailing. Wouldn't blame you. I bailed on a 10 year favorite Nascar driver this past year, becuse he consitently sucked and made the races no fun.
  • Options
    You also forgot to mention the owner, who is being investigated by the feds...
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You also forgot to mention the owner, who is being investigated by the feds... >>

After seeing this trade I'm gonna assume it is for smoking crack.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And here I thought you hooked a young brunette, dark eyes, 'bout 130 with double D's...
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No joke the Browns are a disaster and have been since Kosar, good for you on moving on!
  • Options
    Sorry about your old team, but welcome aboard the detroit lion roller coaster.
  • Options
    eyeboneeyebone Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭
    sounds like how i have felt after 45+ years of watching toronto maple leaf ineptitude. you will get over it.

eyebone
    "I'm not saying I'm the best manager in the world, but I'm in the top one." Brian Clough
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    Don't buy the Calvin jersey. Buy the Johnson jersey. He's way cooler and gets to do all the fun stuff while Calvin plays football.
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    I'm a Giants fan... More ups and downs than you can shake a stick at.

Teams that look like they'll be fun and on the rise are Indy, St. Louis and Miami. They'll be pushing the Broncos, 49ers and Seahawks pretty soon...

It could be worse. You could be a Steelers fan.

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    How can you possibly stop rooting for a team that has done this well over the past TEN seasons? lol

2004........ 4.......12
    2005........ 6.......10
    2006........ 4.......12
    2009........ 5.......11
    2010........ 5.......11
    2011........ 4.......12
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options

<< <i>And here I thought you hooked a young brunette, dark eyes, 'bout 130 with double D's... >>

That's an impressive memory!

And thanks for putting my mind to thinking about much more positive things!!!
  • Options

<< <i>How can you possibly stop rooting for a team that has done this well over the past TEN seasons? lol

2004........ 4.......12
    2005........ 6.......10
    2006........ 4.......12
    2009........ 5.......11
    2010........ 5.......11
    2011........ 4.......12
    2013........0........2 >>

Oh Douglas my friend, if it were just the losing trust me I could handle it. It's the frustration watching the decisions being made and knowing that as they are being made they are ensuring that the team will never improve. From Couch to Winslow to Frye to Weeden....and now trading away the first guy in a long time that I thought was actually going to work out. It's a franchise addicting to screwing up.
  • Options
    This could be the Browns push to draft Johnny Football next year
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    Why do the browns have such bad luck with draft picks? Whenever I think of the browns, I always think of the 1981 playoff game against the raiders when sipe threw that interception, and cost them a game they shouldve won.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Don, I can understand your frustration. I could not believe it when I read the report.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very funny Scott, but I'm the only one except other Steeler fans on this board that can say SIX RINGS!!! I think that's enough to say don't you think? Btw After the loss to Tennessee I know its going to be a long year for me as a Steeler fan. They started like this in 89 and made the playoffs. They lost 51-0 to the Browns on opening weekend.
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options

<< <i>Very funny Scott, but I'm the only one except other Steeler fans on this board that can say SIX RINGS!!! I think that's enough to say don't you think? Btw After the loss to Tennessee I know its going to be a long year for me as a Steeler fan. They started like this in 89 and made the playoffs. They lost 51-0 to the Browns on opening weekend. >>

Crotchlessberger is from my hometown and even that wasn't enough to make me sway your way. I will admit that when he went there I watched in amazement as most Cleveland fans did jump ship to PBurgh. That was hard to believe....kind of like a die-hard OSU fan crossing over the U of M way. I just couldn't do it. Congrats on having the better team though. You've had 2 rough games. Cleveland fans have had 25 rough years.

Thanks for the support guys. After a few hours it is kind of starting to sink in and I'm even beginning to feel a little positive about it. I kind of wish I would've done it back when Barry was in Detroit though. He was the best and I would've felt like I could've rooted for him more. Oh well....perhaps there's an outside shot at the playoffs this year now!
  • Options
    jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    I feel your pain. As a Reds fan, the playoff drought from 1995-2009 seemed like 100 years. Don't give up. It makes the good times even sweeter if you stick with your team.
  • Options
    Come over and be a fan of the re-energized Chiefs!!!
  • Options
    Baez578Baez578 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Very funny Scott, but I'm the only one except other Steeler fans on this board that can say SIX RINGS!!! I think that's enough to say don't you think? Btw After the loss to Tennessee I know its going to be a long year for me as a Steeler fan. They started like this in 89 and made the playoffs. They lost 51-0 to the Browns on opening weekend. >>

Amen to that! Steeler fan since the Mark Malone days....been through the good, the bad, and the ugly. Ill never forget o'donnell gift wrapping that cowboys Super Bowl...ugh

On a side note, I'd feel the same way if I were you about the Browns. Such loyal fans and ownership gives them nothing. What are they thinking?
  • Options
    As a Kentucky Wildcat football fan, since I was knee high. I totally understand.

It gets to the point where the weekends are ruined because you care too much about a team that you have no control over.
    ** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
  • Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    Buy a Lions hat? Are you kidding me? The Lions are the worst franchise in the history of sports!!!!

2004........ 4.......12
    2005........ 6.......10
    2006........ 4.......12
    2009........ 5.......11
    2010........ 5.......11
    2011........ 4.......12

That win total for those awful Browns teams is still 8 more games that the Lions have won sense 2003 (and 1 playoff win in 50+ years) The Lions might have some star power now but that just makes us a Pig wearing lipstick!
  • Options

<< <i>

Amen to that! Steeler fan since the Mark Malone days....been through the good, the bad, and the ugly. Ill never forget o'donnell gift wrapping that cowboys Super Bowl...ugh

On a side note, I'd feel the same way if I were you about the Browns. Such loyal fans and ownership gives them nothing. What are they thinking? >>

Mark Malone, Cliff Stoudt, David Woodley.. I suffered through those bad years too. But sticking with your team through the bad times just makes it that much better when they do turn things around!
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    I think Trent will be a good Colt.
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    At least Cleveland fans will always have that NBA title that LeBron brought them & that glorious World Series title from 1997. Just think how bad it would be without those championships. Oh wait.......
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options

<< <i>Buy a Lions hat? Are you kidding me? The Lions are the worst franchise in the history of sports!!!!

2004........ 4.......12
    2005........ 6.......10
    2006........ 4.......12
    2009........ 5.......11
    2010........ 5.......11
    2011........ 4.......12

That win total for those awful Browns teams is still 8 more games that the Lions have won sense 2003 (and 1 playoff win in 50+ years) The Lions might have some star power now but that just makes us a Pig wearing lipstick! >>

I understand what you are saying but I can't pick a team on top or one that is already close to being there. That would make me feel too much like a "Bandwagoner" and my conscience won't allow that. So I pick a team that at least if they're losing they have a dynamic player (Calvin) that I can still root for. Being a Browns fan for so long I have not had that since the days of Ernest Byner or Kevin Mack. That's a long, long time. And during that time even though the Lions were losers for most of it they've had two of those dynamic players come through town. I can't imagine what that must've felt like.

Plus Detroit's even closer to me then Cleveland if I want to catch a few games image

• Options
    I am a die hard Lions fan, and I have to agree that you may want to reconsider 'adopting' the Lions. Outside of the Chicago Cubs, I cannot think of a franchise that has tortured it's fans more. Bottom line, my Lions fandom has driven me to the point where you are at now several times. I keep getting sucked back in, but I've found that pessimism really is the only effective defense mechanism. That said, they still get my blood pressure up, and a fall Sunday without a cursing outburst at the television is incredibly rare.
  • Options

<< <i>I am a die hard Lions fan, and I have to agree that you may want to reconsider 'adopting' the Lions. Outside of the Chicago Cubs, I cannot think of a franchise that has tortured it's fans more. Bottom line, my Lions fandom has driven me to the point where you are at now several times. I keep getting sucked back in, but I've found that pessimism really is the only effective defense mechanism. That said, they still get my blood pressure up, and a fall Sunday without a cursing outburst at the television is incredibly rare. >>

Sounds like I might've been a Lion fan for years and didn't realize it...
  • Options

<< <i>
    Sounds like I might've been a Lion fan for years and didn't realize it... >>

Yeah, the grass is always greener. Ironically enough, when I saw the news about the trade tonight, I commented to my wife, "this is the sort of thing that the Lions would do".
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Ups and downs? Don't you have to have "ups" in order to have ups and downs??

What happened in Cleveland tonight is nothing short of disgusting. The true victims are the fans... the season ticket holders. It's borderline robbery. I haven't felt this bad as a Cleveland sports fan since LeBron chose to take his talents to Souff Beach. Ups and downs... you don't know what it's like unless you've been a Cleveland sports fan. There is not one city in this country who has had it worse in their history, and I'll debate that with anyone who wants to try. I'm actually happy for Trent... maybe he can salvage his football career and become the stud RB that we know he can be. All you fools who ran out to grab Willis McGahee in your fantasy league, you need slapped in your face, and should have your man card revoked.

My only saving grace is the fact that I'm also a Baltimore sports fan, and I have my Ravens and Orioles. True, the two football teams can be very conflicting, but it works out. I cheer for where I happen to be at the time, and I'm happy when they both succeed.

I'll still always be a pi$$ed off Browns fan... and the silver lining is maybe this trade will make it easier for me to obtain four good tickets to the November 3rd Ravens@Browns game that I'm taking my parents (Ravens Roost Members) and brother to.

At least we still have our BUCKEYES!! image
  • Options
    Consensus among several execs & scouts around the league is it was a very good move by the Browns.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options

<< <i>At least we still have our BUCKEYES >>

And the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame........

and the Bengals aren't too shabby either.
  • Options

<< <i>Ups and downs? Don't you have to have "ups" in order to have ups and downs??

What happened in Cleveland tonight is nothing short of disgusting. The true victims are the fans... the season ticket holders. It's borderline robbery. I haven't felt this bad as a Cleveland sports fan since LeBron chose to take his talents to Souff Beach. Ups and downs... you don't know what it's like unless you've been a Cleveland sports fan. There is not one city in this country who has had it worse in their history, and I'll debate that with anyone who wants to try. I'm actually happy for Trent... maybe he can salvage his football career and become the stud RB that we know he can be. All you fools who ran out to grab Willis McGahee in your fantasy league, you need slapped in your face, and should have your man card revoked.

My only saving grace is the fact that I'm also a Baltimore sports fan, and I have my Ravens and Orioles. True, the two football teams can be very conflicting, but it works out. I cheer for where I happen to be at the time, and I'm happy when they both succeed.

I'll still always be a pi$$ed off Browns fan... and the silver lining is maybe this trade will make it easier for me to obtain four good tickets to the November 3rd Ravens@Browns game that I'm taking my parents (Ravens Roost Members) and brother to.

At least we still have our BUCKEYES!! image >>

I don't think I could've put it any better. And isn't it ironic that the Bucks have two completely capable QB's and the Browns haven't had one for a quarter of a century?

To be honest with you today ticked me off a lot more than LeBum leaving. I saw him play in high school a couple of times and while you could certainly see he'd be a star his attitude along with his family's attitude was enough for me to never be a fan. I knew it would hurt the Cavs but I still was glad to see him go.
  • Options
    The Browns are very lucky that they're in Minnesota this Sunday, because it would be very ugly up there this weekend. Maybe a week will let the fans cool off.
  • Options

<< <i>Consensus among several execs & scouts around the league is it was a very good move by the Browns. >>

The execs are scouts are morons...

Even if the Browns DO use the Colts' first round pick and not trade down for someone else who they wouldn't have to spend much money on, they will end up with an upper 20s pick because the Colts are gonna be stellar this season. Worthless...
  • Options
    Agreed. Boneheaded move by the Browns. The Colts just improved their lot, and the Browns move backwards, as usual.
  • Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭

"Amen to that! Steeler fan since the Mark Malone days....been through the good, the bad, and the ugly. Ill never forget o'donnell gift wrapping that cowboys Super Bowl..."

The good, bad and ugly? To me (lions Fan) that sounds like Bill Gates complaining about his tax bracket.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Consensus among several execs & scouts around the league is it was a very good move by the Browns. >>

Were the execs and scouts interviewed after also smoking crack?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Guys, I disagree. I'd never give Browns management (oxymoron?!) credit for anything but the articles I saw were criticizing Indy for giving away too much:

Cleveland got another first round pick which they will use next year. No more nonsense of trading down.
    Richardson was a nice back but come on, he's not a game breaker & had shown a tendency to be injury prone.
    Indy will have a great season? Maybe, maybe not. They won 10 last year by winning a lot of close games & they actually fall back a bit this year. They haven't looked great thus far.

This mess was created when they drafted a running back at 3. RB's being what they are now, you don't draft a RB at 3 unless his name is Adrian Peterson (something the Browns also didn't do).

I'd just like to see how the trade plays out before calling it a disaster. Yes, some execs & scouts are idiots but many of them got there because they actually know something about the game.
    Ron Burgundy

• Options
    72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭
    I would of thought that folding the team and moving them to Baltimore would of been the push over the edge. If you can forgive that this is a small bump in the road. My guess is that trent was a de-motivator and a cancer in the clubhouse and that trading him will work out great for you.
    Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars
  • Options
    72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭
    My neighbor is a Browns fan and we live in Connecticut. He works at ESPN and was featured in their ESPN magazine a few months ago because his office looks like the city of Cleveland threw up all over it. His whole downstairs of his house is painted Browen and orange and all he wears on Sunday is Brown and Orange. Every Sunday morning he happily puts up two large inflatable Browns guys/balloons before the game and every Sunday afternoon he depressingly takes them down. I am a Giants fan and since Eli beat tom Brady and the Patriots twice in the super bowl he couild lose all the rest of the games of his career and i will be happy.
    Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars
  • Options

<< <i>I would of thought that folding the team and moving them to Baltimore would of been the push over the edge. If you can forgive that this is a small bump in the road. My guess is that trent was a de-motivator and a cancer in the clubhouse and that trading him will work out great for you. >>

Yes, one sure would have thought. But even back the thought never crossed my mind once I knew we were getting a new team.
  • Options
    GRGR Posts: 550 ✭✭
    Ive stuck with my Raiders for ten years since 5th grade, i played fantasy football and picked Rich Gannon, its been ten straight losing seasons im not from California and I dont have a single friend here on the east coast whos a Raider fan, but I stick with my team. If you can't stay loyal to your team through good and bad don't even bother calling yourself a fan! Its boring if a team wins all the time, oh the Yankees didn't win the world series last season im so shocked they only win a title like every other season, like whats the fun in that i mean really what do you do after that order a new hat and eat a creme cheese and cucumber sandwich! I want a team that has character hell thats why we root for Rocky to beat that Russian!! Underdogs are the best! Orioles and Raiders for life, never giving up and one day when we win that championship im gonna be screaming running naked in the street and drink until they have to pump the jack daniels out of my liver! (: DONT GIVE UP RYAN THEY NEED YOU!!! (To buy 300 dollar game tickets at ticket stub.com) (;
    Nathan Wagner
  • Options
    This is dumber than the Indians trading two reigning Cy Young award winners in consecutive seasons. Let that one sink in for a moment...
  • Options

<< <i>Ive stuck with my Raiders for ten years since 5th grade, i played fantasy football and picked Rich Gannon, its been ten straight losing seasons im not from California and I dont have a single friend here on the east coast whos a Raider fan, but I stick with my team. If you can't stay loyal to your team through good and bad don't even bother calling yourself a fan! Its boring if a team wins all the time, oh the Yankees didn't win the world series last season im so shocked they only win a title like every other season, like whats the fun in that i mean really what do you do after that order a new hat and eat a creme cheese and cucumber sandwich! I want a team that has character hell thats why we root for Rocky to beat that Russian!! Underdogs are the best! Orioles and Raiders for life, never giving up and one day when we win that championship im gonna be screaming running naked in the street and drink until they have to pump the jack daniels out of my liver! (: DONT GIVE UP RYAN THEY NEED YOU!!! (To buy 300 dollar game tickets at ticket stub.com) (; >>

Hopefully nobody had to pump any J.D. out already.

I'm having SERIOUS 2nd thoughts here about dumping my team. My 2nd thoughts began once I realized that I have the word Brownsfan in BOTH my ebay username AND my main email address that I've used since the 1900's. I'm going to have to take several days to think about this!!! If I end up sticking with the Browns at least I'm already use to losing all the time.
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even though this hurts my fantasy team this week, it's good to see the Colts finally get a decent RB. Trent should have a much better opportunity on a team with a passing game. With Ray Rice hurt and this trade, looks like it's the Lamar Miller and Joquie Bell show for me this week.
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    Richardson will be huge in Indy. You watch how he will thrive behind that offensive line and having Luck as the QB. This will be the best thing for Richardson and the worst thing for the Browns.
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the party, pal.

XXOO

Astros Fan
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    It'll be fun to revisit this thread at season's end & a year or two from now. The level of vitriol for the trade of a guy who averaged 3.5 yards per carry seems excessive.
    Ron Burgundy