Home Precious Metals

Gold $1330 Silver $22.25 Platinum $1450 Palladium $710 Rhodium $1025 .... about right here, going hi

Comments

• cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,942 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's no question that there will have to be a debt repudiation and a new currency

Actually I think there is a HUGE question.

I'm describing the whipsaw effect that's happening with increasing volatility. We don't get to know when they are going to crack the whip. All assets, including gold, the markets, the dollar - are going to be jerked around all over the place.

Didnt we go through this about 5 years ago?

I find it disturbing that kids with any ability at all would have to settle for something so contrived as a profession.

Me too!! Back in the good old days image, if people couldnt find good work they relocated. Now they just sit in their dying towns. There are plenty of good, high paying, technical jobs for those who are willing to leave their comfy little cocoon.

Business grows where population grows.

Read up on the Crash of '29

This is my favorite book.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Steady as she goes

HE>I

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's a very good book on the Great Depression, which includes the Crash of '29.

The Forgotten Man, by Amity Shlaes
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Steady as she goes >>

Yep, right about at "par", aren't they? Give or take..

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• s4nys4ny Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭
    I think lower for gold and silver now. All this talk of shut down and default
    is doing nothing to prices.
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do not forget that the central banks creating currency from thin air are also hoarding gold. Why would they be doing this?

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

Do not forget that the central banks creating currency from thin air are also hoarding gold. Why would they be doing this?

Maybe because it became obvious to the central banks that the central banks' gold price manipulation was eventually going to fail after Gordon Browne sold off 60% (395 tons) of Britain's gold in 1999-2002 at an average price of $275/oz.

At the time, it was known central bank policy to keep selling gold in order to suppress the price, and 'old Gordon managed to hit the sweet spot right as gold starting to make a worldwide price recovery.

I knew it would happen.

<< <i>Do not forget that the central banks creating currency from thin air are also hoarding gold. Why would they be doing this?

Maybe because it became obvious to the central banks that the central banks' gold price manipulation was eventually going to fail after Gordon Browne sold off 60% (395 tons) of Britain's gold in 1999-2002 at an average price of $275/oz.

At the time, it was known central bank policy to keep selling gold in order to suppress the price, and 'old Gordon managed to hit the sweet spot right as gold starting to make a worldwide price recovery. >>

Right, the price suppression was not very successful, since just a decade later it's more than quadrupled to $1275/oz, and gold price "inflation" has outpaced the rate of inflation of prices of most other goods and services, during that time frame. "Pricing-in" anticipated inflation in other stuff that we're STILL waiting for. If prices don't start going up for "stuff", then should gold come down? Some prognosticators are calling for sub-$1000..

gold will likely hit $1000 in the intermediate term.

Revealed: why Gordon Brown sold Britain's gold at a knock-down price (Hint: it involved protecting major US banks)

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

<< <i>gold will likely hit $1000 in the intermediate term.

Revealed: why Gordon Brown sold Britain's gold at a knock-down price (Hint: it involved protecting major US banks) >>

Now I get it. In another thread you mentioned a fondness for Sci-fy. Its all making sense to me now. image

So now gold is going to $1000? Funny how when gold was going from 1500-1800 the gold bulls were so vocal on what a piece of .... the stock market was. How risky it was. How people were fools. How easy it was to lose 30-50% by owning stocks.

I sincerely how those who invest in ALL ASSETS realize the psychology behind investing. And most especially the role of emotions like fear and greed. And the role these emotions play in the development of manipulation and conspiracy theories.

<< <i>

<< <i>gold will likely hit $1000 in the intermediate term.

Revealed: why Gordon Brown sold Britain's gold at a knock-down price (Hint: it involved protecting major US banks) >>

Now I get it. In another thread you mentioned a fondness for Sci-fy. Its all making sense to me now. image

So now gold is going to $1000? Funny how when gold was going from 1500-1800 the gold bulls were so vocal on what a piece of .... the stock market was. How risky it was. How people were fools. How easy it was to lose 30-50% by owning stocks.

I sincerely how those who invest in ALL ASSETS realize the psychology behind investing. And most especially the role of emotions like fear and greed. And the role these emotions play in the development of manipulation and conspiracy theories. >>

You haven't gotten it since 2008. I have been on record here for a while that PMs will most likely trend a bit lower. I am also on record that markets are manipulated, something it takes quite a bit of emotion to deny.

Stock market is still a POS (more than ever) and is a reason gold will trend lower as the coming great equity purge takes most asset classes down with it. Anyone still heavy in equities is a fool. And as in 2009 metals will be among the first to recover and will once again see new highs. Don't assume my outlook for anything has changed unless I say it has.

You missed my point. Your love of Science Fiction is why you are so drawn to manipulation and conspiracy.

. Anyone still heavy in equities is a fool.

I think you said the same thing in 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, ect.

The "banksters", LOVE your enthusiasm and attitude.

Right, the price suppression was not very successful, since just a decade later it's more than quadrupled to $1275/oz

The price increased after they stopped their selling, as you well know.

I knew it would happen.

Your guess is as good as mine in a manipulated market, unless you are connected. Your 30-50% is entirely possible now for just about every market, not just gold or stocks, and you're loving the volatility, aren't you?

<<Anyone still heavy in equities is a fool.>>

I think you said the same thing in 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, ect.

The "banksters", LOVE your enthusiasm and attitude.

And YOU are missing the point, if anyone is. The ZIRP is specifically geared to move stocks, and that's what it's doing. So, according to most investment banking houses, the best investments are in stocks, same recommendation that they've always made. Talking their own book, same as you and me.

What we discuss here, for the most part, is the rationale for the positions you, and I, and everyone else have taken. Same as always. The banksters can love my enthusiasm and attitude or not - I care about them as much as they care about me.

Seeing the precious metals & banking markets for what they are - has made me financially secure, and that's what I care about. Screw the banksters and the politicians.

I knew it would happen.
    Meanwhile, even with the nice move today, only palladium is priced higher than the figures in the thread title.

<spinning their wheels>

Ok! We're back to [slightly] above the figures in the first post. How long will we stay above? any guesses?
    maybe as long as a week this time??

declining odds of any future taper should keep metals going in the short term. More public discussion of US dollar's role in the future world economy is doing the same - the talking heads are starting to catch on.

If you listen to 10 seconds worth of CNBC, you get a feeling that the entire economy is powered by how much Netflix can be applied across multiple platforms. Ugh.

I knew it would happen.
  • VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If you listen to 10 seconds worth of CNBC, you get a feeling that the entire economy is powered by how much Netflix can be applied across multiple platforms. Ugh. >>

I thought it was the new iPad Air?! image
    Watch or listen to Bloomberg instead of CNBC. I do.

• CakesCakes Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>declining odds of any future taper should keep metals going in the short term. More public discussion of US dollar's role in the future world economy is doing the same - the talking heads are starting to catch on. >>

This I agree with.

I am making a bold statement that silver will not dip below $22 in the next 4 months.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.

<< <i>

<< <i>declining odds of any future taper should keep metals going in the short term. More public discussion of US dollar's role in the future world economy is doing the same - the talking heads are starting to catch on. >>

This I agree with.

I am making a bold statement that silver will not dip below $22 in the next 4 months. >>

I'll take the other side of that prediction, and will go further and state that I think it will break $20 again before year end; tax loss selling

lots of folks will use the opportunity to "write off" bad bets to offset gains on good bets in fiscal 2013.

Baley has a chance of being right, especially if volatility is the new order of the day. I don't trust any of these short term moves, but I have (almost) total confidence in a deteriorating dollar and a deteriorating bond market.

I knew it would happen.
    deteriorating bond market

Greatest bull market ever?

Yep, a $85 billion/month (and soon to be increased) deteriorating bond market.

It's almost as if there's no limit to the "balance sheet expansion". And no end to the euphemisms that they use to describe what they're doing. But there is.

I knew it would happen.
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <deteriorating bond market

Greatest bull market ever? >

probably yes. The best organized and sneaky run ever. Quiet, fluid, liquid and most don't know how to participate.

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

<< <i>Yep, a $85 billion/month (and soon to be increased) deteriorating bond market.

It's almost as if there's no limit to the "balance sheet expansion". And no end to the euphemisms that they use to describe what they're doing. But there is. >>

Bond market was going up long before QE.

Dont interpret me as saying bonds are a buy as I dont really see any relative value, but the uptrend has still not been broken. When it is you will know it, but may not benefit as predicted/anticipated.

Aaaaaand back down below the pivot points again.

et tu, palladium?

and silver, ah silver, where did that 10% go..

• renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

This I agree with.

I am making a bold statement that silver will not dip below $22 in the next 4 months. >>

It was bold alright. I've made a couple myself. image
    The OP prices are starting to look pretty good in hindsight...

How long do you think it will take to get back there?

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

This I agree with.

I'll take the other side of that prediction, and will go further and state that I think it will break $20 again before year end; tax loss selling

lots of folks will use the opportunity to "write off" bad bets to offset gains on good bets in fiscal 2013. >>

As long as the stock market keeps raking in gains, Gold & Silver will remain in the dumps. Your $20 prediction makes sense though.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
    might we see a year end gold rally as record shorts get closed for tax purposes?

• DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    1200 level is being tested right now.
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
    It seems like the new numbers the markets prefer is about $1250 gold and $19.50 silver; Below that, they go back up. Above that, and it's back down.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It seems like the new numbers the markets prefer is about $1250 gold and $19.50 silver; Below that, they go back up. Above that, and it's back down. >>

and both seem fairly priced? How about thatimage

*actually I think silver maybe maybe overvalued
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
    So far is appears, that the winner is Rhodium.
    Precisely where it's supposed to be about right now.

HE>I

<< <i>So far is appears, that the winner is Rhodium. >>

Isn't that an interesting correlation: if you compare the current prices with the headline prices, the declines have been in order of rarity of the elements.

Silver's down the most, then gold, then platinum, palladium exactly the same and rhodium actually up five bucks!

Hey! Look at that, prices are aaalllmmoooossstt back up to where they were in September! How exciting

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,966 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow! It's like deja vu all over again!
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
    yup right back to the pivot points. What a surprise! Winky face

But the volatility remains profitable. Happy face.

Palladium has taken the lead away from Rhodium.
    you bet! thumb up and winking

• roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pivot point is the $1321-$1322 level which marked the April 2013 crash low. Ever since then this level has been support/resistance in either direction. One of the most important levels of the past year.

Silver got to within 13c of the $20.00 level today. Another key level.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
    metals will follow the oil price. I'm expecting a bit more short term drop.

Silver seems like the "play" if one is at that point of "entry". I've been working in metals most of my life. And it "moves".
    Some say it just sits there. That's true. I won't even mention Flea Markets for gold at scrap price.

HE>I

rounding the corner on a year since the OP.. gold about where it was, silver down a buck, platinum up fairly nice, palladium the clear winner.

liquidity/spread on palladium and rhodium, though, means physical still underwater, even with the gain? image

<< <i>I think palladium can drop 50% over the next year. >>

Theres one I got wrong.