Home Precious Metals

Gold $1330 Silver $22.25 Platinum $1450 Palladium $710 Rhodium $1025 .... about right here, going hi

BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
These current numbers and relative values appear to be about "right" to a lot of people in the market for these things, as if they represented equilibrium spots, because here we are again

Here's a live link, the thread can be ttt when one or more of the values hits again, and the changes in ratios can be compared

Where do you see these numbers in the 1 year, 2 year, 5 year timeframes? about right here, higher, lower?

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

Comments

• PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭
    Short term, a bit lower. Long term, higher or much higher.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,633 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The prices are at equilibrium, until they aren't. It never matters how equilibrium was attained. That's just the way it is. Demand is a funny thing.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    equilibrium is nothing more than the current price. What is "about right" to the buyers and the sellers is all that really matters.

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess my point is that these prices feel like they're about "fair value" for these metals, such that folks who feel the same are likely to buy more of them if they fall 15-20%, will probably sell some of them if they rise 15-20%, and in between, might just sit tight and wait.. and wait... and wait.

FWIW, Relative Strength Index for gold is on the lower end of normal, indicating a somewhat oversold condition. I work with odds. Aside from the unknown FED QE results this coming week, odds are very good that gold should climb. When gold climbs the other flavors follow. I'm expecting tonight's metal openings to show a bit of improvement. That's my two ounces worth of opinion.

Edited to add: Summers has just announced he will not take the FED chairman job. Odds of gold climbing just increased.

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

• With Larry Summers declining interest in Ben's Fed job, I think gold and silver go higher now. QE alive and well.
  • WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭✭
    Up from here.
    Summers withdraws from FED Chairman race

I can only speculate that he knew he was not going to be chosen. This opens the door wider for further QE. My earlier guess on the dark horse Geither may happen after all. My fear of Geither is his expertise in dollar devaluation and his unusually close relationship with Wall St. banks. Tonights overseas metal action should start responding shortly. I believe one of the metal market indicators will be the response of the dollar index and that is heavily dependent on the announcement's affect on the euro and the yen.

gold live price action

Initial market reactions

• SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭
    The question is...... will gold rise along with interest rates?
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!

<< <i>The question is...... will gold rise along with interest rates? >>

depends on where all of the money fleeing the bond market would run to. As long as US equities are promising gold could suffer. What gold really needs is for money to flee the bond market and equities market. Just holding it in dollars until something shows an up swing is the most likely choice. Money gotta eventually go somewhere, it tends to burn holes in the pockets of speculators since their goal in life is to turn money into more money.

Let's see. Obamacare defunding debate vs. full implementation. Fiscal cliff debate............................nah, let's talk about Syria and Larry Summers. Good diversion.

I knew it would happen.

<< <i>Let's see. Obamacare defunding debate vs. full implementation. Fiscal cliff debate............................nah, let's talk about Syria and Larry Summers. Good diversion. >>

FED leadership probably has more affect on my dollars and on my gold than any other single item. I'm focused.

• renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Such a rudderless ship...the U.S.S. United States is" -comrade yoda.
  • VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We have an interesting week ahead. Let's plan on re-visiting this thread next Sunday night and see where equilibrium is then.
  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>With Larry Summers declining interest in Ben's Fed job, I think gold and silver go higher now. QE alive and well. >>

Gold is lower now than when QE2 and QE3 were announced. Why would more QE help?
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• << <i>

<< <i>With Larry Summers declining interest in Ben's Fed job, I think gold and silver go higher now. QE alive and well. >>

Gold is lower now than when QE2 and QE3 were announced. Why would more QE help? >>

More $ available for JPM to short paper metals with image
    Gold is for savings. Fiat is for transactions.

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole
  • DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1 yr: maybe all down or flat/sideways.

Up for the rest of the longs I'd think.
  • carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭✭
    Tapering is being priced in now. all going lower.
    Sub $20 Ag on the horizon

Loves me some shiny!
  • Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All much lower !!! image
    Timbuk3
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The industrial metals will be going higher: improved world economies with robust car sales and a substantial rebound in housing construction. Unfortunately my cloudy crystal ball indicates that Gold & Silver will be trading within a 10% range of the current price in the foreseeable future. "The old supply and demand" dance routine.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
    Ok, they've all moved a little lower than the values listed in the title, with the exception of Rhodium, which is the same.

If the supposition that these are dynamic equilibrium prices would be correct, then they will again cross the values and be higher in the near future, and then keep oscillating around them in this fashion, a few days or weeks lower, then a few days or weeks higher, and so on.. not breaking and staying significantly higher nor lower. Maybe it will remain true until it's not?

<< <i>The industrial metals will be going higher: improved world economies with robust car sales and a substantial rebound in housing construction. Unfortunately my cloudy crystal ball indicates that Gold & Silver will be trading within a 10% range of the current price in the foreseeable future. "The old supply and demand" dance routine. >>

with over 1 trillion a year in QE distorting the whole prism of financial and market performance, how could anyone really trust the health or result
    of any sector.

I WANT auto and housing to be doing well but I really don't KNOW if they are because 85 billion a month is distorting the optics.

I DO know from hard stats that all hints of tapering have pushed rates higher , instantly chilling refinancing and other housing activity.

Loves me some shiny!

<< <i> instantly chilling refinancing and other housing activity. >>

Really? How about some stats to substantiate that comment.

The only thing that I see that have cooled of are gold & silver.
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,191 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The market is climbing. The paranoia is quelled. Adjustments are made and easing is tapering off. Nobody predicts the future very well. One thing to watch is how stable prices are when war is shelved and the people have spending money. Gold and silver have a resting place to find before they set a tone in the market again.... Just my humble opinion from the bench.

HE>I

I think palladium can drop 50% over the next year.

<< <i>

The only thing that I see that have cooled of are gold & silver. >>

Mortgage apps plunge, refinancing hits 4 year low as rates soar

"The data come just a week before U.S. Federal Reserve policymakers meet to consider slowing a massive bond-buying program, which includes purchases of mortgage-backed securities.

The Fed's support has been a major factor in boosting home prices in the United States after a slump during the crisis, and many economists worry that a pullback now may set back the housing market's nascent recovery.

Borrowing costs have soared by more than a percentage point since late May on views the Fed will soon taper its $85 billion per month in buying of MBS and Treasuries."

Home-Sales Frenzy Eases

Sorry, I am not going to trust market performance during a 1 $trillion government distortion scheme.
    That doesn't mean that the end of tapering will mean permanent malaise, in fact that markets could really take off on any good news , post tapering,
    for the very reason I state. It would be seen a genuine.

Loves me some shiny!

<< <i>

<< <i>

The only thing that I see that have cooled of are gold & silver. >>

Mortgage apps plunge, refinancing hits 4 year low as rates soar

"The data come just a week before U.S. Federal Reserve policymakers meet to consider slowing a massive bond-buying program, which includes purchases of mortgage-backed securities.

The Fed's support has been a major factor in boosting home prices in the United States after a slump during the crisis, and many economists worry that a pullback now may set back the housing market's nascent recovery.

Borrowing costs have soared by more than a percentage point since late May on views the Fed will soon taper its $85 billion per month in buying of MBS and Treasuries."

Home-Sales Frenzy Eases

How soon we forget, that mortgage rates are at historical lows. It wasn't that long ago, that a fixed rate of 7% was considered low. J6P will get used to "realistic" rates and if the home prices remain stable and fixed rates remain at historical averages, will resume the pent up demand of being a home owner. "Home-Sales Frenzy Eases," does not mean that the bottom has dropped. Your first link from 8/2 is no longer available but we should get up dated data tomorrow.

Like Magnets, B!+@&amp;! (shout out to BB) these prices in the headline want to draw the metals back up toward? time to turn around and go back up a bit?

As far as real estate, the distressed/foreclosure sales are declining, sales are regioinally brisk, and prices are inching up in fits and starts, and it's location, location, and features as the top 3 most important qualities for bidding wars

• Well...I guess the news today on "no ending to QE" or "no tapering" should answer this question about the impact on Gold and silver prices.
    Yep, that was quick, now the prices are above the headline. Sooo, now they are expected to top out and then decline toward them again?

<< <i>Well...I guess the news today on "no ending to QE" or "no tapering" should answer this question about the impact on Gold and silver prices. >>

As expected for silver, it was short lived. Back to normal sideways and a 10% up or down trading ranges from the $22 price level for the foreseeable future.
    I don't see any upward pressure for gold at this time, but Rhodium looks interesting.
    Aaand, just like that, they're back below suggested "par" value pivot points. Fun!

(but us buy-and-holders aren't making any money)

<< <i> Sunday September 15, 2013 9:42 PM (NEW!) "We have an interesting week ahead. Let's plan on re-visiting this thread next Sunday night and see where equilibrium is then." >>

ok...so what is your assessment?

<< <i>

<< <i> Sunday September 15, 2013 9:42 PM (NEW!) "We have an interesting week ahead. Let's plan on re-visiting this thread next Sunday night and see where equilibrium is then." >>

ok...so what is your assessment? >>

Well Wednesday's big announcement brought a short lived rally and now we're back where we began. I see more potential upside for silver (and more volatility). I'm not a technical guy, I go from the anecdotal indicators and my gut. I believe we'll see $26 silver within 6 months, that's +20% from today. Gold? More modest gains over the winter with a peak in the $1480 range.

The macro picture is still bullish for PMs but no all-time high numbers are on the immediate horizon.
  • mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    Oh boy, more "gut" predictions of 20% jumps ahead.
    Again, nothing personal implied but we keep hearing these empty predictions over and over again.
    I know I have no idea where PM prices are headed.
    Just along for a partial ride.
    Enjoy!
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more

<< <i>Oh boy, more "gut" predictions of 20% jumps ahead.
    Again, nothing personal implied but we keep hearing these empty predictions over and over again.
    I know I have no idea where PM prices are headed.
    Just along for a partial ride.
    Enjoy! >>

I done well with my PM purchases over the last few years. The U.S. Gov't is hell-bent on propping up a supposed $17 trillion economy and must have magic planned because there will be no middle-class to do it. We're well on our way to the top 10% having 95% of the income and wealth in this country while the bottom 75% will have a negative net worth, effectively being "low income". That's not a recipe for a strong economy and my guess of a 20% gain by spring? It's peanuts, $4/oz.
  • s4nys4ny Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭
    Gold acts like it is going lower.

<< <i> The U.S. Gov't is hell-bent on propping up a supposed $17 trillion economy and must have magic planned because there will be no middle-class to do it. We're well on our way to the top 10% having 95% of the income and wealth in this country while the bottom 75% will have a negative net worth, effectively being "low income". That's not a recipe for a strong economy and my guess of a 20% gain by spring? It's peanuts, $4/oz. >>

Yep, that's the hyperbole that's being broadcast. Meanwhile, all metals remain priced below the figures in the headline.
    The rhetoric appears to be losing its effectiveness, or else the supply of metal "products" has caught up to demand.

<< <i>Gold acts like it is going lower. >>

and it will. it's the plan as it gets transfered from weaker to stronger hands. When the strong hands are full, gold will find its destiny.

<<Gold acts like it is going lower. >>

and it will. it's the plan as it gets transfered from weaker to stronger hands. When the strong hands are full, gold will find its destiny.

Once gold "finds its destiny" (because it's best to anthropomorphize the metal, all the better for it to be loved in its personification), and

once gold rises to where it "should be", then WHO will buy it from the "strong hands"??

Are the Weak Hands who are selling it down these days expected to turn into buyers again at $2000 or $5000?

When the time comes to sell, sooner or later everyone has to take the market price, no matter how strong their hands.

They can still dig it out of the ground at $1100 or so. Lots of marketers making profit each step of the way from mine to PCGS PF70DCAM

I'm not convinced the all-powerful THEY that everyone frets about "want" to fill their hands with gold and drive it higher; they make more on the churn, over the long run. Too much of a peak and a blow-off top tends to sour the game for a generation or more image

There are threads in this forum saying gold came from Outer Space. Maybe the strong hands know that Aliens are going to come back to save anyone who owns gold and destroy the remaining human scourge?

Isnt religion wonderful?

You don't think the Space Brothers will take fiat paper money in exchange for tickets on the starship Salvation?

Unfortunately the Space Bros made a pact with the Chinese and Iranians to not accept any US dollars or Euros.

<< <i>There are threads in this forum saying gold came from Outer Space. Maybe the strong hands know that Aliens are going to come back to save anyone who owns gold and destroy the remaining human scourge?

Isnt religion wonderful? >>

do your homework or no cookies for you.

Gold did come from outer space

Everything came from outer space. And that's where it's going back to, someday. Voyager I is just the first little pebble we've thrown back out there.

It's quite possible that gold at $500 will be more valuable than gold at $5000.

There's at least as good a chance that space invaders will come back to save anyone who owns gold and destroy the remaining human scourge as there is a chance that the government will reverse the direction of the debt balloon. Not only are they not even trying to reduce the increases in debt & spending, they are pretty much hell-bent on expanding it in every direction.

While money velocity is almost zero, most economic indices remain static while asset prices climb. Since this strategy of money creation is not accomplishing its dual mandate of full employment and price stability, there are no more bullets left. We are indeed trapped at the end of the maze. If QE stops, the stock market drops, probably with gusto.

In 2008, gold dropped in tandem with stocks - and then recovered much faster. This time is no different other than in the magnitude of the drop in stocks and the speed of gold's recovery. Other structural changes have taken place since 2008 that suggest a fast recovery in gold prices after a multi-market crash - the IMF has placed gold in their new paradigm as a Tier One asset, the US has unsuccessfully tried to enact a financial embargo on Iran using the SWIFT system and that has backfired as most of the developed countries have signed on to using bilateral trade agreements with gold as a key backing asset, both Russia and China have continued to stockpile physical gold at an increasing rate, and several countries including Germany have demanded repatriation of their own gold from out of the US and London vaults, with little success at this moment.

Obviously, there's nothing afoot and gold is just a barbarous relic. <<sarc>>

In addition, it's pretty clear that most of our trading partners are pretty ticked off about our spending and money creation policies, since it devalues THEIR holdings of OUR debt. So, what happens when the dollar finally gets pushed aside in trade settlement, and phased out as the world's "reserve currency" and trade settlement vehicle? Well, it does seem obvious to me that the dollar will drop in relative terms whenever we want to buy something that comes from overseas, which means rising prices over here.

The question in my mind is what happens when it becomes obvious to most Americans that there's nothing left to get free from the government and that prices are twice as high as they were two years ago? How much confidence in the currency is there likely to be when it's being printed faster and is worth noticeably less? We do have an attention-deficit problem, but at some point it will simply be self-evident that prices are up more than incomes and handouts. Most people who have any assets or savings will be looking for ways to preserve them, just like now - only more so. And since most all governments are proven to have a nasty tendency to grab people's private holdings, the incentive to move towards precious metals will be more pronounced, imo.

So what happens if QE is cut off? The stock market crashes immediately, taking gold with it. If there's a realization that there's no protection of assets, stock prices could ultimately fall by 90%, just as gold could fall by 90% to $500. Bonds would crash immediately by even more than 95% because there are no bogus Fed bond purchases being made to keep rates down and there's no income being derived from them. At that point, if the shock of a bad selloff is bad enough there will simply be waves of liquidation, and any announcement of resumed QE won't be enough to stop a panic. What happens after a panic when everyone has stacks of depreciating cash in hand? Liquidity is no good when there's a loss of confidence. Pick your assets wisely.

Read up on the Crash of '29 or view some of the reasonably good videos on utube.

* - pick your number, 90%, 95%, 50%, 60% it's all relative.

I knew it would happen.
  • OperationButterOperationButter Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Well thought out Jerry, thanks for sharing
    Gold is for savings. Fiat is for transactions.

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole
    There's at least as good a chance that space invaders will come back to save anyone who owns gold and destroy the remaining human scourge as there is a chance that the government will reverse the direction of the debt balloon

You are correct. It will not be the G reversing course, but rather the economies as dictated by demographics, and the G will follow. Just as it always has.

So what happens if QE is cut off? The stock market crashes immediately, taking gold with it

I doubt it. But if so, then what insurance (as it has been recently called), does gold offer? Seems the best asset to own would be those lousy US dollars.

Forgot to add....the Space Bros made a pact with Russia also. image

There's no question that there will have to be a debt repudiation and a new currency. (Hint, Hint............don't own bonds). The problem that I'm reading about concerns a debt-for-equity swap that will place a bunch of residential real estate in the hands of the banksters, paid for by our bailouts and raises in our taxes. This is the problem. Until the bankers and politicians are held accountable and prosecuted for theft and financial malfeasance, things will continue to deteriorate in a very bad way. (It's a fairly tall order to expect justice to be delivered on the bankers & politicians, but still not impossible to hope for.)

As this travesty unfolds, the kids will end up being renters in the bankster-owned real estate on a permanent basis as serfs, because the better jobs will have already been exported, making it very difficult to dig themselves out of debt. (The debt repudiation will only apply to the government debt, but not personal debt - which we've already seen several times in the past few years.) We have a local coffee company advertising for their barrister training and "promotions" that involves 4 tiers of training to become a coffee server. I am not impressed. In fact, I find it disturbing that kids with any ability at all would have to settle for something so contrived as a profession.

<<So what happens if QE is cut off? The stock market crashes immediately, taking gold with it>>

I doubt it. But if so, then what insurance (as it has been recently called), does gold offer? Seems the best asset to own would be those lousy US dollars.

You aren't understanding it. I'm describing the whipsaw effect that's happening with increasing volatility. We don't get to know when they are going to crack the whip. All assets, including gold, the markets, the dollar - are going to be jerked around all over the place. Throw in a sharper, and more progressive tax structure and you will find it nearly impossible not to lose big at some point, and on the other hand be heavily taxed in the process of making any gains. Unless you lay low, period. Really, really low.

....the Space Bros made a pact with Russia also. image

You know, I had to google Space Bros to even know what you were talking about, lol. I did play Space Invaders tho'.image

I knew it would happen.
    oops, wrong thread, again.