Home U.S. Coin Forum

Quite the numismatic accomplishment

13»

Comments

• baddspellarbaddspellar Posts: 270 ✭✭✭
    Thank you for posting this.

I don't understand all the hate and petty jealousy. I, for one, appreciate the generosity of TDN and other high end collectors in sharing stories and pictures of their collections (and wow, what pictures they are of the Coronet set).
  • 2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't understand all the hate and petty jealousy.

It's sad that threads like this always seem to bring out the class warfare trolls.

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,406 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, lovely set for sure. Perhaps this is not the post to debate the finances of collecting and just to appreciate the collection. I think the wealthy collectors have always had a leg up on the finest pieces and that is just the way it is, fair or equitable is not the debate. Period.
    Norweb and Eliasberg certainly practiced "checkbook" collecting and put together some of the finest collections ever seen (to understate it), getting plenty of help along the way.

I think what some including me are not to crazy about is when a collector is deemed "advanced" or "sophisticated" essentially based on how much they spend. Also, as was just alluded to is that it remains a challenge for those of lesser means to put together significant collections...
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What an amazing set of Morgans, fantastic accomplishment....and that '91CC is awesome..... Cheers, RickO
  • OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First, I don't like Morgan dollars. I find the obverse design simply ugly (although the eagle on reverse is reasonably nice). The seemingly billions of them one has to wade through at any show simply to see some other denomination is extremely boring.

However, this accomplishment is absolutely stunning. WHO CARES if the collector only used one dealer? He still made it happen--not Laura S.

Edit: My keyboard can't spell.

Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone know if any of the coins in this set were actually made new or are they coins which were already graded and the collector was just biding his time until the became available?
    theknowitalltroll;
  • lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,870 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LCoopie = Les
  • krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    When somebody manages to put together the top set in the most-collected series - a series that ain't exactly tiny! - and spends 10 years working on it, all I can say is a sincere congratulations and who cares what it cost, what the amount of financial impact was for the collector, or who facilitated it.

That's a monumental achievement by someone who was obviously dedicated to making it happen, and I salute the collector.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I too would like to stand up and offer my appreciation as to the amount of commitment and work it would take to assemble a set of this caliber.
    Not to mention, taste and an eye for quality....
    Sure you've got to have deep pockets, but to dwell on that aspect is to deny the other components of this multi- pronged accomplishment.

We all work within different financial perameters..

Regardless of that, anyone who would sink more than their entire net worth into a coin purchase has got guts way beyond my own and most likely beyond most of the collecting community..... Commitment, guts....*alls!!! Not sure which, or combination thereof.

Thank you for filling in that spot at the top!
    And don't let those pot shots get you down....

Cheers!!!image

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One thing I'm pretty sure about: these are going to kick the crap out of Newman's Morgans.image

Personalities aside....

I took a long but not hard look at each piece in the set.

I'm sure any of us would debate some of the technical on any particular coin (welcome to the US Coin Forum).

My takeaway from a tour through the images of the entire set was a strong resonance with the underlying zeitgeist, a synergy of freshness, wholesomeness and vibrancy.

For the sometimes-encountered bridge players out there who may be familiar with Marty Bergen - "Points Schmoints". Some kinds of white are really really right.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't understand all the hate and petty jealousy.

It's sad that threads like this always seem to bring out the class warfare trolls. >>

Seems to bring out the requisite butt-kissers in equal measure, doesn't it?

The point so convenientlymissed when you hear the cry of "class warfare troll!" isn't that those of lesser means wouldn't also like to have such a set, or for that matter, the $ needed to assemble it. It's simply that given enough $, it would be quite an easy thing to do to establish contacts, pony up cash, and simply display the required patience to look about for such coins as they became available.

It's then, that the notion of "the person who accomplished this "wasn't" a gazillionaire" is met with deserved derision. Call a spade a spade. It took a lot of money to build this set, more than the vast majority of enthusiastic numismatists will ever be able to devote in their lifetimes -- and present it as such. Then the focus can be on the wonderful coins. No biggie. Seems to fall under the "don't urinate on me and tell me it's raining" guise.
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't know how I missed this thread earlier - congrats to the owner! Thanks for posting it. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko, Big Moose.
  • WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Incredible accomplishment----Congrats!!

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    Major congrats on an incredible set!

Just went through all of them, what a treat.
    Speaking in terms of just eye appeal it doesn't get any better than the 1883 obverse, for my taste. Wow image

• orevilleoreville Posts: 11,915 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Someone rang? I heard something about balance sheets equity and assets. Ugh, I do that for a living.

I just finished a slew of corporation income tax returns on extension today. Ugh.

Wow what a wonderful numismatic accomplishment!

I would love to have seen the collector's face of fear and then joy when he bought that stupendous 1893-S $1. I don't care how much the set cost. At issue is the beauty of each and every coin in this set.

Also at issue is the story behind the purchase of the very first coin of this set and how the collector evolved from buying just the first coin to buying the final coin. wouldn't everyone enjoy hearing or reading the story behind it all?

Whatever happened to the American philosophy of admiring those who set the bar for others to follow in one aspect of coin collecting? Just because one goes for the finest set does NOT mean other sets are less meaningful to each owner or each viewer or friend?

Be positive rather than negative. I promise to be positive.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file