I never thought I'd see California unseated

New king of the Morgans

Comments

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,159 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow that is just amazing!!

I bumped into California collection at the grocery store last week.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it took ten years to take the top spot , one can only imagine the achievement a collector "feels". Kudos to the team who assisted.
    That's an incredible coin posted.
  • Options
    AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A huge congrats! And a great accomplishment for a hard working person...
    That 93-S is amazing! And best of luck for his hunt to improve the set...

ABimage
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    That collector didn't just 'unseat' the California Collection, but IMO, annihilated it. Each coin grades, on average, more than 0.2 points higher than the California Collection. And when looked at in terms of how much room there is for improvement, that is quite a strong overtaking...although still almost 0.2 points on average shy of Jack Lee!

I'm sure I will have fun browsing the Coronet Collection this morning image
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That collector didn't just 'unseat' the California Collection, but IMO, annihilated it. Each coin grades, on average, more than 0.2 points higher than the California Collection. And when looked at in terms of how much room there is for improvement, that is quite a strong overtaking...although still almost 0.2 points on average shy of Jack Lee!

I'm sure I will have fun browsing the Coronet Collection this morning image >>

California stopped a few years ago, so he has no plus coins. Would be amazing to see his set get a g at the plusses but that isnt going to happen. Coronet has 36 plus coins which is pretty amazing.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That 93-S is stunning.

Damn!
  • Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭

<< <i>That 93-S is stunning.

Damn![/q

I agree!!
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275

<< <i>

<< <i>That collector didn't just 'unseat' the California Collection, but IMO, annihilated it. Each coin grades, on average, more than 0.2 points higher than the California Collection. And when looked at in terms of how much room there is for improvement, that is quite a strong overtaking...although still almost 0.2 points on average shy of Jack Lee!

I'm sure I will have fun browsing the Coronet Collection this morning image >>

California stopped a few years ago, so he has no plus coins. Would be amazing to see his set get a g at the plusses but that isnt going to happen. Coronet has 36 plus coins which is pretty amazing. >>

Ahhhh, that is the impression I was getting...since I haven't seen any additions in about that same time.
    So, with many 'plus' coins, the Cali Collection could easily be at about the same level!
  • Options

<< <i>That 93-S is stunning.

Damn! >>

Agreed. With the Norweb coin dipped out, this Vermuele coin is the undisputed King of the Morgans! image
  • Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations to the collector and to Legend. It's great that he ran them through Trueview and uncovered his set so we can enjoy the photos. The 93-S is special but I would love to see that 91-CC. Looks spectacular.image

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,762 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>In fact, a world class major grader (John Albanese of CAC) who saw this said said it best: "crack these coins out and put them in capital plastic holders. >>

Hmmm... I would advise against this.

Just saying.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are several coins in the new #1 set that my brain is simply reeling at the concept of.
    What a set!
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,951 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well a beautiful set to be sure, but just to interject some reality. Its not hard to have someone like Legend do all the bird doging and find the coins if all you have to do is pay, that is a smart way to approach things if your goal is to own the pissing rights; but does that make you a great collector?? I guess it depends on what you consider a collecter to be. I also find the following Legend statements to be in conflict:
    "The owner of this collection is not a gazillionare, he is a hard working businessman"
    "At that time he had never spent anywhere near $1 million dollars before on a coin. Sure, he was nervous, however unlike so many other collectors he knew to have a great set, he needed the BEST-so the 93S was not to be denied him!"

Now I'm a hard working businessman that owns my small business and I could never ever drop one million on a single set much less a single coin; sorry Legend but anyone that can pay for a set like this is not your average joe sitting in a cube crunching data 9 to 5 this fellow has serious financial backing.
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options

<< <i>Well a beautiful set to be sure, but just to interject some reality. Its not hard to have someone like Legend do all the bird doging and find the coins if all you have to do is pay, that is a smart way to approach things if your goal is to own the pissing rights; but does that make you a great collector?? I guess it depends on what you consider a collecter to be. I also find the following Legend statements to be in conflict:
    "The owner of this collection is not a gazillionare, he is a hard working businessman"
    "At that time he had never spent anywhere near $1 million dollars before on a coin. Sure, he was nervous, however unlike so many other collectors he knew to have a great set, he needed the BEST-so the 93S was not to be denied him!"

Now I'm a hard working businessman that owns my small business and I could never ever drop one million on a single set much less a single coin; sorry Legend but anyone that can pay for a set like this is not your average joe sitting in a cube crunching data 9 to 5 this fellow has serious financial backing. >>

Wow. Just...wow. image
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I just hope nobody dips that one in the future, what a perfect Morgan! Great pedigree to boot! >>

A new breed of numismatists are awakened by now. This is apparent and obvious. There are two camps. I'm with you.
    In the quest for profit, things happen, brother.
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ultimate eye candy!

Congrats all around.

The entertainment can never be overdressed....except in burlesque

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,950 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In looking at the individual coins in rhe collection I noticed 3ms 67 1901's .

When were they made ?

Must have been in the last 6-9 months

Upgrades I'm thinking
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Well a beautiful set to be sure, but just to interject some reality. Its not hard to have someone like Legend do all the bird doging and find the coins if all you have to do is pay, that is a smart way to approach things if your goal is to own the pissing rights; but does that make you a great collector?? I guess it depends on what you consider a collecter to be. I also find the following Legend statements to be in conflict:

Now I'm a hard working businessman that owns my small business and I could never ever drop one million on a single set much less a single coin; sorry Legend but anyone that can pay for a set like this is not your average joe sitting in a cube crunching data 9 to 5 this fellow has serious financial backing. >>

Wow. Just...wow. image >>

Yeah, wow, pretty accurate assessment for almost all of us

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

No kidding and I doubt the owner of this set only worked 9 to 5 to achieve his goals in life. We are all wired differently and all have different end games.

MJ

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

No kidding and I doubt the owner of this set only worked 9 to 5 to achieve his goals in life. We are all wired differently and all have different end games.

MJ >>

Certainly, and you missed my point completely, why is legend making a statment that this owner is not wealthy when in fact he would have to be very wealthy to have them assemble this set?? Perhaps he was a long time hard worker that won the lottery, mabey he is a CEO of some large company; I have no way of knowing how he came to afford such a set nor do I care. But to go out of the way and make it a point to say the owner is not rich when he clealy is, is silly.
    My Lincoln Registry

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,762 ✭✭✭✭

Yea, I thought Legend's comment here was a laugh riot. Anyone that can drop a million on ANYTHING is not your average Joe. And if you can spend that kind of money on a SINGLE COIN, then you are indeed a "gazillionare".

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    Perhaps you guys define gazillionaire differently than I do - you are letting that chip on your shoulder cloud your vision
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not collect Morgans but I can appreciate nice things, which even includes Morgans some times. I browsed the set and saw many very nice coins. When it comes to Morgans, the thing I always look at first, especially a top set....is the CHEEK. There were several coins in that collection that had flawless cheeks. That is not easy! Congrats to the owner and builders of the set.
    The Best High Grade Mercury Dime Toners For Sale! + 2 Varieties :smile:
    https://greatcollections.com/Collections/1120/The-Keyman64-Mercury-Dime-Collection/2024-07-07
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

MJ >>

Certainly, and you missed my point completely, why is legend making a statment that this owner is not wealthy when in fact he would have to be very wealthy to have them assemble this set?? Perhaps he was a long time hard worker that won the lottery, mabey he is a CEO of some large company; I have no way of knowing how he came to afford such a set nor do I care. But to go out of the way and make it a point to say the owner is not rich when he clealy is, is silly. >>

Nope I did not miss your point. It resonated loud and clear. Just have a way different read on this.

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

<< <i>

Yea, I thought Legend's comment here was a laugh riot. Anyone that can drop a million on ANYTHING is not your average Joe. And if you can spend that kind of money on a SINGLE COIN, then you are indeed a "gazillionare". >>

You have to remember the kind of clients legend deal with. On a relative basis as far as her clietele I think LS comment is true.

• Options
    Mj this quote from member red tiger in another thread sums it up well.

" Like I have often written, this forum tends to be dominated by ten-percenters, top 10% in income, top 10% in net worth, because that is the primary market for PCGS graded coins. The rest of the world still goes on, and most of the rest of the world doesn't collect like many on the forum do."

Baised on the tone and content of your posts you are or feel that you are in that top group, I am not so my reality is different than yours and TDN's. But it is statements like this from legend; statements that smack of arrogance; that I would never buy from legend, not that I matter to them anyway.

Eddited to add:

No TDN no chip on my shoulder I'm perfectly happy with my life, you and mj and I are on different levels, not something I have an issue with.
    My Lincoln Registry

• Options
    CalGoldCalGold Posts: 2,609 ✭✭
    The California collection is “closed” with no information of the grades of individual coins and no photos provided. So unfortunately a visual comparison at least by photo cannot be made, which is a shame because I am sure a lot of collectors would love to see what the California set looks like. The number three set is Trueviewed so you can compare coins by photo.

Which set is “better”? Depends on what “better” means. If you cast the total registry set numbers aside, I suspect that each set contains individual coins that some may think are “better” or at least “more eye appealing” than the comparable date coin in the other set. A comparison may also reveal differences in preferences by the collectors, such as a preference for white coins over toned coins.

p.s. Collecting certain coins at all–like proof gold--and Morgans in top pop grades-- has long been a rich man’s game, so get over it. This thread should be about the coins not the collector's bank account.

CG
  • Options

<< <i>Mj this quote from member red tiger in another thread sums it up well.

" Like I have often written, this forum tends to be dominated by ten-percenters, top 10% in income, top 10% in net worth, because that is the primary market for PCGS graded coins. The rest of the world still goes on, and most of the rest of the world doesn't collect like many on the forum do."

Baised on the tone and content of your posts you are or feel that you are in that top group, I am not so my reality is different than yours and TDN's. But it is statements like this from legend; statements that smack of arrogance; that I would never buy from legend, not that I matter to them anyway.

Eddited to add:

No TDN no chip on my shoulder I'm perfectly happy with my life, you and mj and I are on different levels, not something I have an issue with. >>

Your perception of her statements frankly come off as arrogant.
    Besides your missing some great opportunities not buying from them.

Last coin I bought from legend was a gem Proof 67 cameo 1885 nickel for 5650. Reasonable.

• Options
    stealerstealer Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Yea, I thought Legend's comment here was a laugh riot. Anyone that can drop a million on ANYTHING is not your average Joe. And if you can spend that kind of money on a SINGLE COIN, then you are indeed a "gazillionare". >>

I can't seem to find where Legend calls their client an "average Joe" in their report. Perhaps you can copy paste the incriminating statement?

Some really gorgeous coins in the set, that 84S is a beast for just a 64.
  • Options

<< <i>Mj this quote from member red tiger in another thread sums it up well.

Eddited to add:

No TDN no chip on my shoulder I'm perfectly happy with my life, you and mj and I are on different levels, not something I have an issue with. >>

I'm a fan of Red Tiger's and while I don't agree with his percentages there are germs of truth in his statement. As for your assertions you are filling up the stat sheet with air balls. Really.

Anyways, enough of this back and forth it is detracting from this accomplishment. The set speaks for itself. Congrat's to the owner. Well done.

MJ
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,894 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats to the set owner

No chip here either, but in all fairness it seems to be more of a financial accomplishment that a numismatic one.

My vision is not clouded and really enjoy what I buy and own.

That is all that matters.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭
    I must admit I've never been a huge fan of Morgan's because 99.999% of them do NOT LOOK LIKE THIS ONE!!!!! imageimageimage

However, this one coin would do nicely if I was looking for "the look"!!!!! image

<< <i>image >>

Oh, I forgot to add, "Daaaaay-YUM™"

• Options
    No chip here either, but in all fairness it seems to be more of a financial accomplishment that a numismatic one.

1) all coin collecting has a financial aspect to it. To look down one's nose at a set because it's more expensive than yours is petty.

2) I cannot fathom what would motivate someone to denigrate such an accomplishment. You know NOTHING about how closely the owner of the set worked with Laura, what research he has done, what he has mentally put into the set. Such statements are totally out to lunch.

3) some people on the board ruin it for the others.
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice set. Too white for my tastes, though.
  • Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IIRC the 91-CC is the Eliasberg MS68PL....

I held the 93-S in-hand (raw, no flip) before the Vermeule Sale. Definitely OMG. Technically maybe 0.4 pts less than the Norweb coin, but always flashier and prettier. I was in a cab in Baltimore with HRH and JD when the 93-S came through and was asked what I graded it. Scarcely a a tough callimage
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great set. Congratulations!

(I'll not get dragged into the class warfare argument du jour image )
  • Options

<< <i>3) some people on the board ruin it for the others. >>

So if someone has a different viewpoint than yours thay have ruined the board, lol. Wow just wowimage
    My Lincoln Registry

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,637 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>... But it is statements like this from legend; statements that smack of arrogance; ... >>

I'm' not sure why you interpret it ("not a gazillionaire") in this way.
    I think Laura was trying to put the relative affordability of some of the set coins into a perspective that we all could relate to.
    Are you working on a set where you have had to "stretch" to buy some of the coins?
    I.e. you had to rethink your budget or limit temporarily?
    There have been a few related threads on this in the past, such as "What was your first $1000 coin?".

The other part of it ("just a working man") is likely more about how he got the money,
    instead of whether that level of assets is available to any working man.
    The alternative way of having those assets is by inheritance.
    Laura's point may be again that $1m might seem like too much to spend on a coin,
    if you started your career with few assets and worked for everything over the years.
    Vs. inherited the same money.
    I am not trying to say that people who have inherited money tend to spend it unwisely.
    Everybody is different, but there could be transitions where you wouldn't spend $X in the past, but now you are more willing.

I suppose it is in any top-end dealer's interest to encourage buyers to bend their budget limits to buy the expensive coins.
    I don't think it is purely a profit motive, though. It is more like a trust between client and agent,
    where the agent invests time (and seller relationships) in finding those top coins, and hopes the client is still interested in buying them.

I would expect the Coronet owner has at least $50m in assets, as it would seem unwise to put say, over 50% of your assets in coins.
    I don't have the stats, but if you are a business founder in a growing market, having $50m may not be that unusual.
    I know my friend's boss has a construction company and has several vacation homes; he probably has $50m.

[Edit:] Probably the $50m guess just exposes my lack of knowledge about the series - it is kind of awkward to present a number,
    but I was trying to gain some perspective. I was thinking there would be a couple of coins which cost over $1m, and many at $250/500/750k.
    Maybe $10-15m total. Then I inflated it assuming someone would not want more than 20-30% of their assets in coins.
    It's a lot of assumptions and probably uninformed estimates, so could be way off....
  • Options
    When I bought my very first million dollar coin back in 1999, my net worth was less than the purchase price. To presume any driven collector has a minimum net worth to own anything they do is to assume too much.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>3) some people on the board ruin it for the others. >>

So if someone has a different viewpoint than yours thay have ruined the board, lol. Wow just wowimage >>

Apparently you are having interpretation issues today. Yes, some who choose to denigrate a great set as merely a financial accomplishment (for example) ruin the experience of the chatroom for others. Why do you think most high end collectors leave here sooner rather than later?
  • Options

<< <i>No chip here either, but in all fairness it seems to be more of a financial accomplishment that a numismatic one.

1) all coin collecting has a financial aspect to it. To look down one's nose at a set because it's more expensive than yours is petty.

2) I cannot fathom what would motivate someone to denigrate such an accomplishment. You know NOTHING about how closely the owner of the set worked with Laura, what research he has done, what he has mentally put into the set. Such statements are totally out to lunch.

3) some people on the board ruin it for the others. >>

The rich are different than you and me" - F. Scott Fitzgerald... I had angst and yet I feel his is very different. Sisyphus and that boulder, up the hill, down the hill, up the hill...

There's always schadenfreude, but the contempt I feel from you makes your blind arrogance all that more difficult to tolerate. The wonder coins you share with us are a testament to your exquisite good taste. The condescension you show to almost anyone here, at least for some, actually diminishes the pure numismatic virtue of the posts.

Honestly, have you learned anything at all here about anything but chopmarks (and testing punches? imageimage
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    Whatever. You and I are on break ... ie, ignore
  • Options
    What made you think I was speaking with you as my audience? imageimageimage
  • Options
    Back to the Morgans. This is a very dedicated collector and quite the accomplishment
  • Options
    You denigrated yourself just by posting back. Please don't dignify my remarks with a responseimage

The coins are superb, I'm sure. Many of the hoi polloi (those of us with a net worth under $10M) could not hope to emulate or approach your expertise. That the owner of these put together this set is applaudable and surely a monumental task, requiring persistence, taste, money and a sense of value. Hopefully your friend has that93-O MS66PL. I had the last paddle up when the Barbara Goldfreed coin was sold by Ed Milas in IIRC 1980. Gone in sixty seconds.

Barbara was a loud, abrasive knowledgeable woman collector so disliked by fellow Chicago collectors that they refused to bid on her really nice stuff, and knocked a lot of her coins. The 93-O was condemned by many as having a weak strike and does. PCGS MS66PL (Stronger DMPL reverse). IIRC last seen in a Bowers sale probably no later than 2005. Aspersions were cast on the too-dipped 93-CC gem DMPL. Gossiped as a a proof because MS was rarer in that quality and finish.

BTW, many of those abstaining dealers were farming out their bids to hide their interest by silent misdirection. They'd personally participate until 20% below too low and drop out. Confederates, often multiples of them, and not knowing all of what a dealer doing, were essentiallyworking blind beyond that, as was the true bidders intent. The human drama before the Internet was a great deal of the fun of it.

Don't respond .. below you ... I will say that your ability to outgrade me on the MS61 93-O impressed me more than the '94 $1

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file