Home Precious Metals

Silver bar question

A newbie to PM stacking question.

I know the #1 rule on numismatic coins is never, ever clean. My question is - how acceptable is a baking soda / tinfoil bath for bars? Is original age based toning as desired on bars as on coins? Does it matter? Is it OK for dogs and cats to get along?

Seriously though - I like my bars shiny - I know they are bullion, do the same cleaning rules apply to bars as coins?

My gut says no, but what say you? POM - I am talking about the E bars I just bought from you! image

Comments

• VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>...Seriously though - I like my bars shinny - I know they are bullion, do the same cleaning rules apply to bars as coins?... >>

There is no comparison between cleaning numismatic coins and cleaning silver bullion. On bullion I clean if I want to but don't worry too much about shiny these days.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,917 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With all the counterfeit bars coming on the market these days, I would leave the older bars alone. The toned aged look of the older bars make them look authentic while the look of a freshly scrubbed bar looks suspicious. Just my opinion.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Seriously though - I like my bars shiny - I know they are bullion, do the same cleaning rules apply to bars as coins? >>

I'm with you. Common bullion rounds & bars, do not carry a numismatic premium and are pegged to spot. As such, the "cleaning or dipped" rules applied to coins, do not apply. I like mine tarnish free, and so do most buyers. Just like coins, some buyers prefer tarnished rounds or bars. It depends on your taste. On the other hand, rare collectible bars are best left alone.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,917 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dipping is okay but I won't buy a bar that has been polished or otherwise harshly cleaned or abused..

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• Thanks for the info - I did do a dip on one that had ugly black toning (An NCM old pour 10 oz) - wish I took befor pics - but after turned out great - I will look to post a pic later. image
  • OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My silvers bars have allready suffered from enough DIPS image

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Lets see if this works - photobucket from iPad

• I like!
    Gold is for savings. Fiat is for transactions.

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,710 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm still at the same address if you would like to unload that crappy, shiny, silver chunk at
    a small loss.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com

• << <i>I'm still at the same address if you would like to unload that crappy, shiny, silver chunk at
    a small loss.

bobimage >>

I will keep that in mind Bob! Haha! image

• << <i>

<< <i>Seriously though - I like my bars shiny - I know they are bullion, do the same cleaning rules apply to bars as coins? >>

I'm with you. Common bullion rounds & bars, do not carry a numismatic premium and are pegged to spot. As such, the "cleaning or dipped" rules applied to coins, do not apply. I like mine tarnish free, and so do most buyers. Just like coins, some buyers prefer tarnished rounds or bars. It depends on your taste. On the other hand, rare collectible bars are best left alone. >>

The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I prefer the fresh look in coins - or - better stated - as minted. I only have a few bars, not my area of focus.... but I would prefer them clean as well. Tarnish is just ugly to me. Cheers, RickO