MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
Agree?

Disagree?

Discuss...

Comments

• Options
    khaysekhayse Posts: 1,336
    Disagree.

They are a natural growth of having coins slabbed and I think must be included in that. Any minor negatives caused (and I don't agree the registries are a net negative) would be vastly overwhelmed by the positives of slabbing in general.

-Keith
  • Options
    KoveKove Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭✭
    Registry sets were a brilliant innovation by the grading services to soak up some of their mistakes while adding a fun element to the hobby. Together with advances in digital photography, registry sets grew into a great way to share one's collection.

Some of the sets are wonderful, high-end collections put together by people with a great eye. However, other sets are holding places for overgraded "bargains." I've seen the liquidation of some of these "bargain" registry sets turn into financial bloodbaths for the owner.

For me, I find the online registry sets to be a great way to keep track of my collection, and an easy way to look up what holes I need to fill or upgrade when I'm at a coin show. The thought of competition is pretty far from my mind.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Disagree.

They're harmless if you ignore them and lots of fun if you participate. That's a net gain anyway you cut it.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mixed blessing, but the positives outweigh the negatives.
  • Options
    JcarneyJcarney Posts: 3,154

<< <i>Registry sets were a brilliant innovation by the grading services to soak up some of their mistakes... >>

Please explain.
    “When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.” — Benjamin Franklin

My icon IS my coin. It is a gem 1949 FBL Franklin.
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,455 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The positives far outweigh the negatives! It is a lot of fun and gives you glimpse at what else is out there. It allows us to make connections to other like minded collectors. Tons of funnnnnnnnnnn.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Disagree.

They're harmless if you ignore them and lots of fun if you participate. That's a net gain anyway you cut it. >>

I agree with MrEureka
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Disagree.

They're harmless if you ignore them and lots of fun if you participate. That's a net gain anyway you cut it. >>

I agree with MrEureka >>

add me. m
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

<< <i>Disagree.

yeppers
  • Options
    nagsnags Posts: 793 ✭✭✭✭
    I concur. No systemic negatives for the hobby, and many potential positives.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,407 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They sure caused the price of AU58 coins to go up.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Disagree.

Have kept me playing for about ten years now. Find them great place to show what I have, and as long as one is not locked into the "have to be best" game just down right fun.

One of my sets that was just for fun.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see a lot of good that has come from the registries. One of the biggies for me is being able to share some of my stuff with others.

Harm? Perhaps some people are more concentrated on the number on the holder than on the coin itself than they'd be without the registry and are now a slave to point scores and such, just so they can move up in the rankings. Of course, these people were obsessively competitive already, and the registry simply reduces the overhead of competitive coin collecting.
  • Options
    dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    I don't see them as either harming or helping the hobby, I only see them as clever marketing ploys by the grading services.

Actually, I suppose they could harm those who play the registry game if they simply buy coins for the high numbers on the tags with no regard to what's inside. I've seen a couple top end rated in the past where I thought the overall quality of the set was just awful and was assembled with nothing but the registry game in mind. To be fair, I've also seen much lower ranked sets where the quality was all there and then some.
  • Options
    NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I see a lot of good that has come from the registries. One of the biggies for me is being able to share some of my stuff with others.

Harm? Perhaps some people are more concentrated on the number on the holder than on the coin itself than they'd be without the registry and are now a slave to point scores and such, just so they can move up in the rankings. Of course, these people were obsessively competitive already, and the registry simply reduces the overhead of competitive coin collecting. >>

I concur 100%, especially with the 'harm' part...if you are an overly or naturally (or, as messydesk says, obsessively) competitive person (as I have been 'burdened' with all 3 aspects of competitiveness) to begin with, yes, you just MAY pay more attention to the number on the holder, almost having 'blinders' on, as to the coin itself, at first. It's tough to pass on that upgrade, but hopefully common sense prevails, if the coin is NOT 'on par' with that number. I'm not a fan of 'stickers', but that CAN also be a help to those that have those 'blinders' on.
    I'll come up with something.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While there are positives to the Set Registry program, it has also created distortions in some segments of the coin market, some not so beneficial.
    You can't ignore the effects unless you play in an area that is completely free from Set Registry influences (ie like collecting circ wheat pennies from 1941-1958).

When did the Set Registry first hit the street?
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

When did the Set Registry first hit the street? >>

The paper version started in the late 1990's. Online must have been early 2000's
  • Options
    Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    I think it has hurt some areas, but helped overall. It has created a bubble in certain areas that I fear will crash eventually. The "BEST" of the modern common coins are ridiculously high priced, whereas coins that are every bit as good in a step lower are fractions of that price. For me the value would lie with the lower grade coin, but that's not rewarded in the registries. I also think it rewards people who don't research and fully understand their field. Jumping on a coin simply for the grade on the holder might not be the best way to play this game, even with a CAC sticker and an Eagle Eye seal of approval. I think there's more to this hobby than shelling out cash for a coin, it's more than competing.

I really love the online showcase of the registry, and that I am able to enjoy great collections that I might not otherwise ever see. I also am happy that I can know more of what's out there. The registry stimulates a lot of interest, I love it, I just think one needs to be careful. There are pitfalls associated with registry mentality, so long as one can avoid those pitfalls, I think it's a great thing.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>When did the Set Registry first hit the street? >>

The paper version started in the late 1990's. Online must have been early 2000's >>

Thanks, I just wanted to see if it coincided with the wave of gradeflation that seemed to hit the market during the 1997-1998 time period...and then ran for about 10 yrs.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    RollermanRollerman Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I look at what amounts to "competitive coin collecting" as I do fishing tournments. It seems to take a nice relaxing hobby and make a competition out of it. But if they find enjoyment from it, I'd say do what you enjoy!
    Pete
    "Ain't None of Them play like him (Bix Beiderbecke) Yet."
    Louis Armstrong
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I strongly disagree. The Registry is fun and can be used for all types of collectors. Weather you collect like I do for fun and going for completion or if you are going after top pop and have to be the best ....it can all be done on the Registry.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Mixed blessing, but the positives outweigh the negatives. >>

I agree with this. It's fun to educate other collectors and see how your collection stacks up against others who participate. (Notice how that is worded; I did not say "finest known.") On the other hand the insane prices that some are willing to pay simply because something in grade X yields the most registry points are not always a good thing.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    vibr0nicvibr0nic Posts: 614 ✭✭✭
    Has its positives and negatives.

On one hand, it provides a forum for sharing fabulous collections and accomplishments, which is a positive.

On the other hand, it has glorified collecting as a competitive endeavor based on numbers on plastic, which is a negative.
    I like large size currency and silver dollars.
  • Options
    I regard them as I do the number 666 and the 13th Friday or floor of a building.

Eric

edit to add - mostly image
  • Options
    shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    Early on I found it a plastic race.

Now that more images are attached I find it a great way to find pics of great coins online,
    take it with a grain of salt, and often like some of the lower sets more.

And it pisses me off when great collections are closed for viewing!
    If you decide to register your collection the coins in it should be available.
    I understand why competitive collectors do this just don't think PCGS should allow it,
    either lay your cards on the table or don't list your set.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is addictive! image
  • Options
    JBNJBN Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of the benefits of the registry is the ability to track pedigreed coins through various collections.

For WLH, you can track the Jack Lee coins, the GBW coins, and others through some of their owners.
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    The Registry is the reason I completed a set that I started twenty years ago. No question I buy many more coins because of the Registry, often in series I left alone for many decades. I enjoy the Registry.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,971 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love the registry.

competition

exhibition

order and organization

It is pure marketing genius!

You certainly don't have to be number one to compete or to have fun. I like watching people build their sets and building my own, too.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally they`ve helped me....

...spend more than I would have otherwiseimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    TrimeTrime Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭
    I am not interested in the registry but don't think it has hurt the hobby. It can be positive for those wishing to sell high rated collections. It can be financially painful for those that chase high pops that get displaced by a better graded coin.
    So: If it makes you happy and TPG rewarded, so be it.
    BTW I might change my mind if and when I decide to sell a major collection.
    Trime
  • Options
    CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭
    One huge advantage to the Registry that I had never thought about until I read an article on Numis$ociety.com is the recovery of stolen coins........

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't participate (yet), but have enjoyed viewing numerous monster sets over the years. I think
    the only negative is that it rewards technical grade above all else, but that's minor in comparison
    to the benefits. Further, I don't see a practical way around that nit.
  • Options

<< <i>One huge advantage to the Registry that I had never thought about until I read an article on Numis$ociety.com is the recovery of stolen coins........ >>

Every coin that I own is registered for this reason!
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Registries are terrific for collectors and the hobby.

The harm happens when collectors lack patience to wait to acquire the right coin.
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    vibr0nicvibr0nic Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>One huge advantage to the Registry that I had never thought about until I read an article on Numis$ociety.com is the recovery of stolen coins........ >>

Every coin that I own is registered for this reason! >>

Took you 13 months to post something after registering?

I like large size currency and silver dollars.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Every coin that I own is registered for this reason! >>

Took you 13 months to post something after registering?

image >>

Just wasn't in a hurry. LOL
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Disagree---I sure have met a lot of different collectors by looking at their sets and seeing all of the great looking coins that are out there.
  • Options
    halfcentmanhalfcentman Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭
    I am going to be in the minority here and say more harm.

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Disagree.

I believe the registry sets have done more harm to the hobby than good. The premise is that you can ignore them I believe to be flawed.

They're great for higher end dealers. They're great for the people who can afford the most expensive coins to put into those sets. They bring positive attention to the TPG which slabs these coins.

But they harm the average collector. Say are trying to buy, say a gem type coin of a particular series just because you want one. Whether you like it or not, you are competing with someone who is putting together a registry set of these coins. And some of the people putting together these sets are willing to pay more, sometimes far more, for these coins than the guy / gal who wants a nice type coin. The guy paying $32K for the "finest known" MS 65 RD 1852 Large Cent comes to mind.

You're not buying coins at the registry set level? You're still affected by what the registry set people do. You want a nice MS 64 Capped Bust Half? The run up in MS 65 coins in this series means that this MS 64 is going to cost you more.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I paid $690 for a 29-D 10c in a P66FB holder, upgraded it to P67FB pop 4/0 and wholesaled it for over $8K. Pop now 20 something and the coin is $2K.

I paid $11,000 for a 1911 10c NPF68 (fatty) and upgraded it to PF69*, got $35K. Sold to an underbidder. Last traded CSNS Platinum/Greensboro for $17,000+J.

Registry setsimageimageimage What's not to love?
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    halfcentmanhalfcentman Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I paid $690 for a 29-D 10c in a P66FB holder, upgraded it to P67FB pop 4/0 and wholesaled it for over $8K. Pop now 20 something and the coin is $2K.

I paid $11,000 for a 1911 10c NPF68 (fatty) and upgraded it to PF69*, got $35K. Sold to an underbidder. Last traded CSNS Platinum/Greensboro for $17,000+J.

Registry setsimageimageimage What's not to love? >>

An excellent job making ElContador's point.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Disagree.

this

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Was this question to collectors or investors, or were the answers the point?
    Some of this sounds like distortion is an effect as well.
    Then there is that $90,000...

Eric
  • Options
    Perhaps I misunderstand. I thought this Registry stuff was a "manmade" construct like things you see on the Holodeck in Star Trek: TNG - it only exists within that framework - apart from that it is formless. People striving to have their set listed on an "arbitrary" list...no? Maybe I'm not confused image

I would question something that has dramatic seemingly inexplicable (at least to some) effects quickly. It seems a good thing to question at least.

Eric
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sharing coins and showing what can be accomplished is one thing...

Turning the registry sets into the Academy Awards for coins is another

I think I have made my thoughts clear on this years ago

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    "Turning the registry sets into the Academy Awards for coins is another"

Where is Brando when you need him. image

Eric
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The comical thing is think about the greatest films- Citizen Kane and Casablanca to name two- Did Orson Welles win for Best Director or did the film win Best Picture?

Did Humphrey Bogart win Best Actor for Casablanca?

Well the point is simple... subjectivity has its place and that will not change

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    I agree fully, but John and Walter Huston might not, on one night at least image
    "I'm doing a dance on a mountain of gold!" - Treasure, obviously, is a very currency oriented film. Most everything involves money - the shave, the lottery ticket, the food, the tools, the Burroughs, the potential purchase of the gun/trade for the watch thing with Goldhat, the bit with Ann Sheridan...

Eric

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file