Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

MATT HARVEY - Say it ain't so!

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.

Comments

• Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    I saw that, I'm not a mets fan but that sucks
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    This is really sad news to get. Harvey has been a huge positive for New York and fans from both sides of river have really embraced him. I hope this passes quickly and he is back on the mound at full power in the spring.
  • Options
    WaltWalt Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭
    Karma for the Heyward hit.
  • Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really hate it for him. Although I am a Braves fan, the pitcher inside me always wants certain guys to do well. I decided to acquire some of Harvey's cards this season and have no regrets even with this news! He has been great and I have enjoyed watching him. I hope when he does come back he can get some run support...well, maybe not AS MUCH when he faces the ATL! image
  • Options

<< <i>Karma for the Heyward hit. >>

He didn't hit Heyward.
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

He didn't hit Heyward. >>

Ha!

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

How's Ryan Howard and the Phillies doing?? LoL..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>

He didn't hit Heyward. >>

Of course he didn't. A lot of Braves fans(self excluded) have just decided to make the excuse that because they lose a guy batting .253/13HR/37 RBI for the season....who didn't even reach the Mendoza line until the middle of June is the main reason they are no longer a contender! image This thread is for Mets/Harvey fans and Heyward(or anyone else) should never have been mentioned!
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    Well, the Mets do have Dice-K now....
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's baseball Susan. -John Sterling
  • Options
    jwgatorsjwgators Posts: 460 ✭✭
    I guess the new innings limit for young starters should be 175 now instead of 200.
    Joel
  • Options
    Back in the days before the MRI and all the Educated Doctors and sports Medicine pitchers pitched with these injurys not knowing they had them and were very Good. This is not the first type of injury that ever occured now this is my question if not for the MRI would he still be pitching not knowing about the issue and thought it is just a little painful. But now that he knows about it wait and see then have surgery. My guess is he will not. And he will be back next year. Because as we all know he was not the same pitcher about 2 or 3 Starts before the All Star Game one was against the Giants and they said blisters. Mets made a big mistake with this kid two many innings and rushing him for All Star appearance. Two many innings too early in his career legs were getting tired and he tried to make up for velocity by throwing with his elbow harder and then this will occur. Met management take the blame do not drop the ball.
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>Back in the days before the MRI and all the Educated Doctors and sports Medicine pitchers pitched with these injurys not knowing they had them and were very Good. >>

Who pitched with a torn (or partially torn) UCL and was still "very good"?
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That's baseball Susan. -John Sterling >>

(Suzyn) image
  • Options
    Baez578Baez578 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>That's baseball Susan. -John Sterling >>

(Suzyn) image >>

"Oh my Gawd Jawn....there goes the first pie of the season!"
  • Options
    1985fan1985fan Posts: 1,952 ✭✭

<< <i>Back in the days before the MRI and all the Educated Doctors and sports Medicine pitchers pitched with these injurys not knowing they had them and were very Good. >>

Right...guys pitching with an elbow or shoulder surgery is perfectly fine. You can't be serious with this nonsense can you?

<< <i>This is not the first type of injury that ever occured now this is my question if not for the MRI would he still be pitching not knowing about the issue and thought it is just a little painful. >>

This is the same insane 'logic' that says NFL players with concussions used to walk it off...and we see how well that's playing itself off. Increased medical knowledge is never a bad thing...well except to those who love ignorance.

<< <i> But now that he knows about it wait and see then have surgery. My guess is he will not. And he will be back next year. >>

I hope for his sake he has the surgery. Otherwise he'll just have shoulder issues down the road.

<< <i>Because as we all know he was not the same pitcher about 2 or 3 Starts before the All Star Game one was against the Giants and they said blisters. >>

You think it might possibly be because of the injury? Nah that doesn't fit in your world.

<< <i> Mets made a big mistake with this kid two many innings and rushing him for All Star appearance. Two many innings too early in his career legs were getting tired and he tried to make up for velocity by throwing with his elbow harder and then this will occur. Met management take the blame do not drop the ball. >>

Innings don't necessarily mean injuries. Look at Strasburg. Injuries happen.
  • Options
    ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭
    I don't understand what is happening in baseball, namely the way these young pitchers are being handled. As we all know back in the 50's-70's and even 80's, the number of innings weren't scrutinized, the bullpens weren't used excessively like they are now, and it was just expected for guys to pitch nine innings and go into the 130's on pitches. Now, we have all these young guys being handled with kid gloves, carefuly calculated pitch counts, etc....yes is it my imagination or are these guys getting more and more serious arm injuries? I mean the Nationals could not have been more careful with Strasburg and he got hit with it. Now we have Harvey who was on a pitch count all year. It just seems like this stuff is not helping (if anything it is making it worse). Let's go back to the days of Seaver, Koufak, Drysdale, Gibson, even Gooden and Clemens. They just pitched.
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • Options
    RoarIn84RoarIn84 Posts: 859 ✭✭
    I think the argument is that pitchers throw faster pitches with more movement on them than they did "back in the day".... This of course requires even more unnatural arm snappage to get said movement and speed on a regular basis. Has not the average fastball gone up at least an extra 5-6 MPH in the past 30yrs? Those factors, along with the even more scandalously omnipresent "agents-protecting-their-billion-dollar-babies" argument have shaped the game into what it has become. I would guess........
  • Options

<< <i>I don't understand what is happening in baseball, namely the way these young pitchers are being handled. As we all know back in the 50's-70's and even 80's, the number of innings weren't scrutinized, the bullpens weren't used excessively like they are now, and it was just expected for guys to pitch nine innings and go into the 130's on pitches. Now, we have all these young guys being handled with kid gloves, carefuly calculated pitch counts, etc....yes is it my imagination or are these guys getting more and more serious arm injuries? I mean the Nationals could not have been more careful with Strasburg and he got hit with it. Now we have Harvey who was on a pitch count all year. It just seems like this stuff is not helping (if anything it is making it worse). Let's go back to the days of Seaver, Koufak, Drysdale, Gibson, even Gooden and Clemens. They just pitched. >>

Spoken like a true old man! image I agree with you. The argument seems to be that these..."kids" are throwing different pitches nowadays and it causes a lot more arm stress. I think that pitch counts and not enough exposure to long innings actually hurts the pitcher more than it helps!
  • Options
    Koufax and Ford they pitched with arm trouble all their lives. till one had to leave or the Doctors told Sandy he would lose his arm and the other Ford pitched till arm went totally dead. Another point us Met fans are missing is Jon Niese arm troubel had to leave also Mejia and Hefner. I predict Warthan and a lot of other people on mets front office will be gone by the end of the year.
  • Options
    Don't forget about Beachy. He may need another Tommy John after just 5 starts.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It almost makes sense for pitchers to have TJ surgery before they get to the bigs. Just get it over with early. Are there any stats on what percentage of pitchers need TJ surgery at some point in their careers? It seems like it would be >25%.