Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

82 Cello price (with Ripken) increased $130 dollars from previous auction in May

I know it's just one auction...but wow!

I hope the title is to everyone's satisfaction image

Comments

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>its all about what that top card is in that particular auction >>

And bottom, Al Holland collectors go crazy for this stuff.
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I know it's just one auction...but wow! >>

Maybe the star cello crazy is coming back again.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    your title is misleading. -1
  • Options
    Baez578Baez578 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>your title is misleading. -1 >>

hmmm...let's see...

82 - check
    cello - check
    prices - check
    skyrocketing - (last cello with ripken on top sold for $154)...uh...oh yeah...check

• Options
    one item sold for good money. ONE. nothing is skyrocketing besides that ONE. let's get ahold of ourselves here. shark jumped, ok?
  • Options
    The title should be "The power of Probstein." image

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a psa 9 with Ripken on top AND Schmidt on back I' d be willing to sell for just $275!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>The title should be "The power of Probstein." image >>

No, then we'd have over 100 comments back and forth over love and hate of Probstein and absolutely nothing to do with the original topic. Then someone would bring up Centered-gate and we'd have another 6 pages of pointless comments to sort through, hoping that maybe one or two would be useful.
  • Options
    65%, 54%, 25%.
  • Options

<< <i>one item sold for good money. ONE. nothing is skyrocketing besides that ONE. let's get ahold of ourselves here. shark jumped, ok? >>

Wow

All this from one link and a "misleading" title?

I found the price shocking for a PSA 9 cello with Ripken on top to increase $130 in a matter of months.

Unless you know something that I don't, there aren't many PSA9 cellos (with Ripken on top) for sale so my comparison is with the ONLY other cello available in recent months that fit this criteria.

If you'd like to share some additional sales that perhaps contribute to the thread, I'd love to read it and perhaps it will change my opinion.

• Options

<< <i>I have a psa 9 with Ripken on top AND Schmidt on back I' d be willing to sell for just $275! >>

Grote - I'm thinking you'll get that price sooner than you think image

<< <i>The title should be "The power of Probstein." >>

Ha....didn't even catch that it was a Probstein auction. I'm curious to see the next sale and whether or not this was a fluke or if this is where the market is heading.
  • Options
    thank you mlbfan2. your contribution is appreciated.

to anyone who wishes to report the news, report appropriately. that's all i'm asking. when i open a thread with a hyped up title, i expect to see links with proof that a sudden surge of insanity is occurring right before our very eyes. in this case i was led to believe that the market was rallying again, not just ANOTHER Probstein auction with a cello featuring the face of you-know-who.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The title should be "The power of Probstein." image >>

No, then we'd have over 100 comments back and forth over love and hate of Probstein and absolutely nothing to do with the original topic. Then someone would bring up Centered-gate and we'd have another 6 pages of pointless comments to sort through, hoping that maybe one or two would be useful. >>

You're right, I didn't do a good job thinking that one out. image

Collecting:
  • Options

<< <i>thank you mlbfan2. your contribution is appreciated.

to anyone who wishes to report the news, report appropriately. that's all i'm asking. when i open a thread with a hyped up title, i expect to see links with proof that a sudden surge of insanity is occurring right before our very eyes. in this case i was led to believe that the market was rallying again, not just ANOTHER Probstein auction with a cello featuring the face of you-know-who. >>

Just curious...

Has it ever occurred to you that my thread was opinion? And that your comments above are also opinion? And that this is a forum which is commonly used for fans to express....well...their opinion?

With that being said, how was I supposed to know that the one word would make you "expect to see links with proof that a sudden surge of insanity is occurring?" How was I supposed to know that you would be "led to believe that the market was rallying again? (never knew 82 unopened was falling by the way)" And that my title was misrepresenting?

And this all from one word? SMH

I get the feeling that you thought my thread was some sort of Probstein "pep rally" which certainly wasn't the case. It just so happens that this was my example and there aren't any others.

On that note, thanks for derailing my thread when I was merely looking for other interested unopened fans to chime in on their thoughts of this auction and where 82 unopened was heading in general.
  • Options

<< <i>'82 Cello prices bottoming out! Sellers are practically giving them away! >>

Wow...now that's a steal!

Thanks for your contribution...and for not being sarcastic in any way. You are one of the gems on this board.
  • Options
    have you ever laughed so hard that you blew a snot bubble on your monitor?
  • Options

<< <i>have you ever laughed so hard that you blew a snot bubble on your monitor? >>

Not until this very second! Thanks a lot!

Disclaimer: I am neither pro or anti the thread title or its contents. I am neither a Mad Hatter nor a Man Crusher as it pertains to this thread. I just thought this comment was very funny and it made me blow several snot bubbles on my monitor.
  • Options
    I would just buy one of these instead:

Ripken Rack
  • Options
    elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013

<< <i>65%, 54%, 25%. >>

+1

And THAT, all too often, appears to be the "power of Probstein"! image

Snorto~

P.S. And a reason to do some market research before bidding with large consignment sellers.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>65%, 54%, 25%. >>

+1

And THAT, all too often, is the power of Probstein! image

Snorto~ >>

Shhhhh.

Collecting:
  • Options
    elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013

<< <i>Shhhhh. >>

Oh, right you are, Mike. Let's switch topics. Anyone see that BBCE Facebook post yesterday? image

Snorto~
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>65%, 54%, 25%. >>

+1

And THAT, all too often, is the power of Probstein! image

Snorto~ >>

Shhhhh. >>

Maybe it's the pain meds making me loopy from surgery yesterday but what exactly do these percentages refer to?

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Percentage of bids with seller.
  • Options
    rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭
    I could put this one up for sale and I think we'd push the price a bit higher.

Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • Options
    you really can't put a price on threads like this.
  • Options

<< <i>I would just buy one of these instead:

Ripken Rack >>

Agreed... It would be nice if PSA would encapsulate rack packs. Does anyone know if this is something they've considered?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I would just buy one of these instead:

Ripken Rack >>

Agreed... It would be nice if PSA would encapsulate rack packs. Does anyone know if this is something they've considered? >>

It's been brought up on these forums on many occasions, but PSA has never indicated any interest in taking on that task.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    A rack pack with a star on the back vs. a cello pack with the star visable on the front are miles apart in my opinion.
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

<< <i>you really can't put a price on threads like this. >>

But if you could, it would be worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it.
  • Options

<< <i>A rack pack with a star on the back vs. a cello pack with the star visable on the front are miles apart in my opinion. >>

Interesting... I'm guessing card quality on cellos is the difference maker?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>A rack pack with a star on the back vs. a cello pack with the star visable on the front are miles apart in my opinion. >>

Interesting... I'm guessing card quality on cellos is the difference maker? >>

It is cool to know that the card is in the pack but I would much rather be able to see it not to mention you could be selective on the quality of the star card as well.

Part of the reason these packs do well is collectors like to be able to showcase their collections and you can do so with a graded cello pack. It is just not as cool to say hey look at the back of this pack here is a Cal Ripken rookie card.

I just think the star on the front is immensely better and thus the price spread should always exist.
  • Options

<< <i>

Interesting... I'm guessing card quality on cellos is the difference maker? >>

I would say that the difference is two fold....Ripken collectors prefer to see the front of the card showing versus the back and a graded 9 cello is worth more than an ungraded rack pack that PSA won't grade.
  • Options

<< <i>one item sold for good money. ONE. nothing is skyrocketing besides that ONE. let's get ahold of ourselves here. shark jumped, ok? >>

Another Ripken 9 up for sale today fast approaching the $200 level. Lets see how close it gets to the $280 mark

Ripken psa pack
  • Options
    4 days left too. image
    Thanks for sharing
  • Options
    That's crazy, I could get 4 1982 Topps sets for that price and hopefully at least one would include a Ripken better than that one (1 corner dinged, 2 rounded).
  • Options

<< <i>That's crazy, I could get 4 1982 Topps sets for that price and hopefully at least one would include a Ripken better than that one (1 corner dinged, 2 rounded). >>

The value of this item is based on the card being on top of an unopened pack from 1982 not on the grade of the Ripken card itself.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>That's crazy, I could get 4 1982 Topps sets for that price and hopefully at least one would include a Ripken better than that one (1 corner dinged, 2 rounded). >>

The value of this item is based on the card being on top of an unopened pack from 1982 not on the grade of the Ripken card itself. >>

Understood and that's the insanity. This is a $40-50 novelty in my opinion, but I'm sure there are a still several willing to go more than $200 for this. I can understand unopened going for a premium above the likely value of the cards inside on the chance to pull a monster 10, but when the biggest possible hit in the set is on top and obviously damaged it doesn't make any sense to me.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

The value of this item is based on the card being on top of an unopened pack from 1982 not on the grade of the Ripken card itself. >>

Understood and that's the insanity. This is a $40-50 novelty in my opinion, but I'm sure there are a still several willing to go more than $200 for this. I can understand unopened going for a premium above the likely value of the cards inside on the chance to pull a monster 10, but when the biggest possible hit in the set is on top and obviously damaged it doesn't make any sense to me. >>

You'd have to be an unopened collector to understand, lol.

Though I do agree that price is high for that pack.

• Options

<< <i>You'd have to be an unopened collector to understand, lol. >>

I guess so, though I'd have to get some professional help for my bad case of the ripping itches. image
  • Options
  • Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    Weren't most cellos with stars on top or bottom recently determined to be fakes?? I haven't purchased any unopened material since that whole issue blew up not too long ago.
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options

<< <i>Weren't most cellos with stars on top or bottom recently determined to be fakes?? I haven't purchased any unopened material since that whole issue blew up here not too long ago. >>

Hmmmm, would like more info or link to this discussion.
  • Options
    I believe there was an isolated case of one seller that might have gotten a couple packs with stars on both top and bottom graded that shouldn't have been. So as with anything worth anything out there graded or not I always assume there is a potential for it to have been faked and proceed accordingly. I certainly don't think this is a wide spread problem with PSA graded packs and also I don't think the percentage of bad packs is any greater than bad cards in PSA holders. Again nothing is 100% perfect but I feel very good about buying PSA graded packs and I personally bid on this Ripken pack thinking it's a $200 pack all day long now, but do feel over my fair value when they hit $280 like the last one.
  • Options
    kingbeeswaxkingbeeswax Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭
    That's my pack up for auction and the cello looks really nice and tight on the front adding to the appeal. It is my last one for sale for now and I have one more that needs to be re-cased by PSA, think it has minor damage on the back of case. I am glad they have been going up in value lately image
  • Options
    Well at $255 I think we definitely have a confirmation of the new higher prices for Ripken PSA packs. I for one think the prices have gone higher but still a great pack for the price with more appreciation to come. With the new levels I certainly need to step up my bidding. I thought I was a lock to win this raw pack at $70 but the prices have gone up all around I guess.

Ripken fleer cello
  • Options
    I see another Ripken PSA 9 was sold last week and while they have been coming down from the $283 high sale I think if I'm going to get any more I will definitely have to pay over $200. The prices have certainly come back up since the recession levels.

Ripken pack
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or you could just win that one when it gets auctioned off again.

30-Day Summary
    Total bids: 34
    Items bid on: 8
    Bid activity (%) with this seller: 91%
    Bid retractions: 0
    Bid retractions (6 months): 0
  • Options
    Probably of no relevance that ones been sitting unsold at $200 on BBCE. image