Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

82 Cello price (with Ripken) increased $130 dollars from previous auction in May

2»

Comments

• Options
    Hmmmm......

Still on BBCE unsold at $200. Yet their flying off in the ebay auctions for much more.

Curious.
  • Options
    rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭

I can't recall seeing a 10 sell yet and it's interesting this one is a but it now and not in an auction. I would think those willing to pay $280 for a 9 a couple years ago would be dying to get a 10 for $350, but we shall see I guess.

Ripken
    Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • Options
    We'll it sold! Didn't last long.
  • Options
    My question is when they grade cello packs are they grading the pack, folds, tears only. Or do they also grade the top card? Cause in that particular one the Ripken looked off center L-R?!?

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My question is when they grade cello packs are they grading the pack, folds, tears only. Or do they also grade the top card? Cause in that particular one the Ripken looked off center L-R?!? >>

Grade for packs is based on condition of wrapper and seal. Centering on top card is also a factor but a minor one in comparison. The grade is based primarily on the condition of the pack itself, not the card as if it were submitted as a single for grading to PSA.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>We'll it sold! Didn't last long. >>

Yeah I thought that was a low price, someone got a good deal there.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>My question is when they grade cello packs are they grading the pack, folds, tears only. Or do they also grade the top card? Cause in that particular one the Ripken looked off center L-R?!? >>

Grade for packs is based on condition of wrapper and seal. Centering on top card is also a factor but a minor one in comparison. The grade is based primarily on the condition of the pack itself, not the card as if it were submitted as a single for grading to PSA. >>

As a youngster, I never thought I would see the day where someone was willing to pay for the condition of the packaging over the condition of the actual key card(s) that are showing. Unopened collectors are a funny breed. image
  • Options
    I'm a huge Ripken collector. I contemplated buying this all day. 2 things held me back. I asked the seller a question and I thought he was kinda rude in his response(maybe just me but just didn't like how he answered). Also just the centering on the card L-R. To me it was way off and I feel like that alone would of kept it in a 8 slab at best(not saying I would of cracked it, def wouldn't have). Neat piece but just don't wanna pay that much for what the card would of graded.
    That being said It is an awesome piece and I would love to have one I just think I'll wait to see one that shows better! Price wise was good compared to recent 9 sales.

Thanks for the answers on the pack grading.
  • Options
    VintagemanEdVintagemanEd Posts: 922 ✭✭✭
    I see all sides and opinions on this and while I think unopened
    Packs with stars are very cool who wants to pay a premium for a pack
    With a very OC card? I don't get that one....... I can see a big
    Premium when the card looks Mint and Centered but not this one.
    My thought on this type of thing is always that I could by 4-6
    Psa 9's for the price of this pack which is much more appealing to me
  • Options
    1all1all Posts: 507 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I see all sides and opinions on this and while I think unopened
    Packs with stars are very cool who wants to pay a premium for a pack
    With a very OC card? I don't get that one....... I can see a big
    Premium when the card looks Mint and Centered but not this one.
    My thought on this type of thing is always that I could by 4-6
    Psa 9's for the price of this pack which is much more appealing to me >>

You are paying for the scarcity of the collectible. There are currently 4711 PSA 9 Ripken RC's on the Pop Report which means they are not tough to find. There are a total of 85 graded cello packs with Cal's RC on top. (BTW - there are 346 PSA 10's of his RC).
  • Options
    VintagemanEdVintagemanEd Posts: 922 ✭✭✭
    I get that for a nice centered example that
    Appears to be at least NM-MT but not one like this
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>We'll it sold! Didn't last long. >>

Yeah I thought that was a low price, someone got a good deal there.

>>

Ripken PSA 10 part 2

Looks like the original buyer was just looking to make a quick buck... Or with the bid already atleast $200. Now why didn't I jump in first and do that??