Home Precious Metals
Options

NewP: Tombstone Territorial Mint Silver Bar w/ Certificate... anyone seen this before??

illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
This bar was on one of the local coin shop bid boards a few months ago and I hadn't seen one of this type before and couldn't find anything about it online. I figured it was worth trying to win and I was bidding pretty strongly on it, but was outbid by another at the last second... oh well I figured.

Then, this week that person offered it to me as they were trying to raise some funds for another purchase. Sweet!! Still wasn't cheap, but I still haven't seen another so I figured I'd go for it as it looked cool and the certificate is neat too.

Anyone else have one of these or at least seen them before??? The bar does weigh a troy ounce and it's 1 and 5/8 inches by 1/2 inch by 1/4 inch in size.

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never saw one of those before....very interesting... I would buy one of those. PM the price if you don't mind.... will look for them online. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recall seeing similar bars...but not often. The certificate is the first I have seen.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not familiar with it. You might be able to find something by researching the Coin World back issues of 1974.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BTW, note that it is not pure, just concentrate. Hence the "assay" of "Dore' "
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the comments.

Our local coin club just recently acquired a collection of Numismatist magazines from 1909 to the present (9 storage boxes full). Will have to check the issues from around 1974 to see if anything is in there... if not, I'll then check out back issues of Coin World... good idea!

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>BTW, note that it is not pure, just concentrate. Hence the "assay" of "Dore' " >>

What fineness is this or does it vary depending on source and process?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A doré bar is a semi-pure alloy of gold or silver, usually created at the site of a mine. It is then transported to a refinery for further purification. As such, it's difficult to determine the purity.

The link will show you a nice dore bar

Northwest Territorial Mint
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."