Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

$10,000+ card sells for $50 in PWCC auction

13»

Comments

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>For all you Monday morning qb's who obviously would never have made a mistake of this magnitude, why don't you put all your collective heads together and build a better mousetrap? Yeah, that's what I thought. >>

We don't need a better mousetrap. We just need the mousetrap we have to work properly.

And for the record, I'm not bashing PWCC. I have no experiences with Brent but everything I've heard from those in the hobby who I respect and know has been positive about him. I'm also not advocating for any kind of lawsuit. But I do believe PWCC made a mistake in this example. It's a mistake that happens a great deal on ebay (albeit, usually not with consignors, just people selling their own items), it just happens to be the biggest in magnitude that we're aware about.
  • Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>For all you Monday morning qb's who obviously would never have made a mistake of this magnitude, why don't you put all your collective heads together and build a better mousetrap? Yeah, that's what I thought. >>

We don't need a better mousetrap. We just need the mousetrap we have to work properly.

And for the record, I'm not bashing PWCC. I have no experiences with Brent but everything I've heard from those in the hobby who I respect and know has been positive about him. I'm also not advocating for any kind of lawsuit. But I do believe PWCC made a mistake in this example. It's a mistake that happens a great deal on ebay (albeit, usually not with consignors, just people selling their own items), it just happens to be the biggest in magnitude that we're aware about. >>

Agree with Reggie completely. PWCC does a good job with their listings overall. But in this case, Brent shat the bed and needs to change the sheets.

• Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭

<< <i>PWCC does a good job with their listings overall. But in this case, Brent shat the bed and needs to change the sheets. >>

LMFAO!!! Quote of the year!! That was the perfect opportunity for an "antique roadshow" type moment, where the customer finds out their item is valuable! Instead, it was more like the coin dealer who ripped off the little old lady who didn't know what her coins were worth.....
  • Options
    Indy78Indy78 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭
    So, what should a knowledgeable buyer do in a case like this one?
  • Options

<< <i>So, what should a knowledgeable buyer do in a case like this one? >>

I predict the buyer will turn around and consign the card, list it properly, and realize a nice proft. Keep this thread open - and keep a lookout for the card. I predict it will show up in 2-8 months.
  • Options
    sportscardtheorysportscardtheory Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

I predict the buyer will turn around and consign the card, list it properly, and realize a nice proft. Keep this thread open - and keep a lookout for the card. I predict it will show up in 2-8 months. >>

The buyer said it's staying in their collection.
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    But in this case, Brent shat the bed and needs to change the sheets.

And just how would you propose he do that? Come on the board and offer up a mea culpa? Or simply learn a lesson and do better next time?
  • Options
    I'd be quite content with learn a lesson and do better next time. My comments weren't meant to be interpreted as anti-PWCC. I just found all the comments blaming PSA or the consignee to be detrimental to the condition of my brain.
  • Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭

<< <i>But in this case, Brent shat the bed and needs to change the sheets.

And just how would you propose he do that? Come on the board and offer up a mea culpa? Or simply learn a lesson and do better next time? >>

If I had made the mistake (and we have all made mistakes), I would do the following

1). If the seller ever came to me about this, I would apologize and admit the mistake. I would offer them free consignment services for life. Brent doesn't owe an apology to anyone here because nobody here was harmed.

2). I would make sure I learned as much as I possibly could about back and color variations on t206s before ever selling another one on eBay.

3). I would never let it happen again.

• Options
    Most of these big sellers usually list only what it says on the flip and if
    PSA or SGC made a mistake then they do not catch it. Couple of months
    back Rick listed a N173 as a N172 because that is is what it said on the
    flip. He was told about it and took it down and corrected it. The main
    difference this time around is no one reported the problem to Brent
    so the listing went the full distance.
  • Options

<< <i>

I predict the buyer will turn around and consign the card, list it properly, and realize a nice proft. Keep this thread open - and keep a lookout for the card. I predict it will show up in 2-8 months. >>

Actually he is a collector and said he is going to keep it for his collection. Of course he can always change his mind but this is what he said very recently, publicly.

It is my opinion too that this is a 10k-15k card in todays market.
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    I would offer them free consignment services for life.

Well, now that isn't an unreasonable request, why not just ask for his left one while you're at it. If I were in Brent's shoes, and a disgruntled customer made a demand like that, or expected that as just compensation, I would say it was a pleasure doing business with you, but we have reached an impasse.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps it was mentioned earlier, but I'm too lazy to read through the whole thread, but did the owner of the card himself know the rarity of said card? If not, that's pretty lame. If I'm collecting cards like that, I'd endeavor to do as much research as possible before selling any.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Since otwcards decided it was time to derail this thread......my turn.....

Unbelievable
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Since otwcards decided it was time to derail this thread......my turn.....

Unbelievable >>

Derail? Just an excuse on your part.

My simple point was that many were throwing stones... If you don't get it, I'm not going to bother to explain it any further.
  • Options
    I don't think anyone is throwing stones. People are conversing about a topic....listen to the song and chill out.
  • Options
    the topic "he who lives in glass houses shouldn't throw stones" means that someone shouldn't ridicule someone for doing something that they themselves are probably guilty of doing.

I can totally promise you that selling a $10,000 card for $50 is a topic that I doubt very seriously that anyone else will ever encounter in their lifetime.....

your statement is totally befuddling and doesn't fit the topic at all.
  • Options
    everybody is a expert after the Auction is over, Guess what you all missed it or card would have never sold so low.
  • Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭✭
    Here's a chance to make up for it if you missed it and hit a big score:
    Wagner
  • Options
    the last thing im going to say (maybe). someone said if the seller didn't know what they had then its their fault. well, who consigns a normal T206?? When the 'Black Swamp' find popped up the owners thought they were worth a few bucks is all & look what that turned out to be. The person taking IN the product should have complete knowledge of the items they are taking in. Some one said if they gave them a 3200 box of Pro Set should they go through and find the errors? YES!! You are paying them a fee for their knowledge & connection to the right buying people. If its too much for you to look over each submission maybe you should step back and realize your over your head in submissions or hire more knowledgable people. You people who have started off your comments with ' Im not bashing (or other wording) PWCC, BUT....' thats the same thing as saying, ' im not racist, BUT...' why you afraid to say something against them if thats how you feel? I thought I was surrounded by adults, your going on like a group of 4 year olds who want the purple sucker but got the red one. Simple, don't like what they did? Don't consign to them, simple. If you don't consign at all, whats your gripe??
  • Options
    How many of you all are just upset you missed this listing?
    Plano, Tx. Card Show #5, Sunday March 6, 2016 at Adat Chaverim (Northeast Corner Independence and Spring Creek) in Plano Tx 9Am to 4 PM. See you there!
  • Options
    I may have missed it so sorry if this has been pointed out already -

but how do we know that the consignor didn't consider the back and just determine that it's the black version faded out?
  • Options
    georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭
    So, since it is likely that PWCC is aware of the situation, what is their downside of not honoring the auction and relisting the card appropriately?

Otherwise, do you go back to the ethical debate with regard to the buyer? In the "old lady/lawyer/etc" thread awhile back, it seemed just as many people weighed in as paying fair value no matter what mistake(s) the seller made as those that would allow a buyer to benefit from an offer made to them by the seller. Would the buyer be ethically charged to pay fair value if their bid was $10k and the 2nd bid was for $50.55?
  • Options

<< <i>So, since it is likely that PWCC is aware of the situation, what is their downside of not honoring the auction and relisting the card appropriately? >>

The buyer has already received the card.
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Why didn't the consignor put in a safety bid? >>

Why didn't you? >>

That wouldn't be possible, since I'm not the consignor.
  • Options
    esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭
    Thanks in part to this thread and the one at Net54, I wonder how many people who don't normally collect T206s will be scouring eBay T206 auctions in the near term.
    Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks in part to this thread and the one at Net54, I wonder how many people who don't normally collect T206s will be scouring eBay T206 auctions in the near term. >>

I was considering it, but then decided against. I don't think any of these will slip through again any time soon and you're more likely than ever to have sellers pushing faded black as brown.
  • Options

<< <i> You people who have started off your comments with ' Im not bashing (or other wording) PWCC, BUT....' thats the same thing as saying, ' im not racist, BUT...' why you afraid to say something against them if thats how you feel? I thought I was surrounded by adults, your going on like a group of 4 year olds who want the purple sucker but got the red one. Simple, don't like what they did? Don't consign to them, simple. If you don't consign at all, whats your gripe?? >>

I'm not going to go back and reread the thread but I'm fairly certain I'm the only one that used the term 'bashing' so I'm assuming your comment was directed at me (which in itself is a measure of irony capable of splitting atoms, but I digress). I believe your analogy to be flawed. If I had written "I'm not bashing PWCC, but..." and then gone on to actually bash PWCC that would be one thing, but I didn't. I simply qualified my statements because there tends to be an underhanded tone to posts on here about consignors or posts that hide behind agendas. I don't have an agenda and I don't have a dog in the fight. I don't collect T206s in any fashion and don't search for them on ebay. There was literally zero chance I was going to see this auction before it ended and a not-too-far-from-zero chance that, even if I had seen it, I would have known enough to watch it or place a bid. So your assumption that I'm in any way sour in my feelings is wrong. I'm also not afraid to say anything against them if I had something to say that was against them. I pointed out that I believe PWCC made a mistake and all parties are best served taking it on the chin and moving on.

So I'm not posting in this thread because I have a 'gripe,' as you put it. I think this type of mistake isn't a rare occurrence on ebay. However, I do believe it represents the far extreme of that spectrum and that, in and of itself, is something interesting to me to discuss. That's what this is, afterall; an internet message board for us to discuss hobby-related things. The simple act of discussing it does not preclude an agenda and I believe it's your mistake to assume so.

Stay up, playas.