• Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    Regular Proof or Reverse Proof?

Reverse Proof - No way.

Regular Proof - Maybe.
  • Options
    HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NOT A SNOWBALL'S CHANCE INimage

So many people will chat it up on the boards that many people will buy extras to flip.

This will drive the mintage to higher than previous years. You have contributed to making

a low mintage a non reality.image
    " If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Extremely doubtful... certainly not low enough to inspire premiums... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Define "small". If it's more than 150 then it's not "small" in my book. image
    -Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think the reverse proof will be low - but low is relative. Still think it's going to be a good coin in 70 FS.

- Ian
    Ian Russell
    Owner/Founder GreatCollections
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    UHR was not low mintage and look at it. One of a kind gold and sliver moderns tend to do well (except the commemoratives). I expect sales of the Rev. Proof buff to exceed 50K. While short term aftermarket prices will be at the mercy of supply, long term holders should do well.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭
    Some will just buy directly from other sources and get a First Strike Reverse Proof 70 . Is it worth paying the extra $$$ they are charging just to make sure you have a 70 in your collectionimage
    References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
  • Options
    thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's a giveaway thread Here where members are giving their guesses on this subject.
    I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • Options
    nibannynibanny Posts: 2,761

<< <i>UHR was not low mintage and look at it. One of a kind gold and sliver moderns tend to do well (except the commemoratives). I expect sales of the Rev. Proof buff to exceed 50K. While short term aftermarket prices will be at the mercy of supply, long term holders should do well. >>

The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not see the RP buffalo as a one of a kind coin - I see it as a one of a kind gold buffalo. RPs have already appeared in the AGE and ASE series.

There was only one gold eagle reverse proof ever issued (1 oz in 2006) and it was part of a low mintage set (10K mintage). Even with that low mintage, at PR70 the AGE barely keeps up with UHR prices. I expect the reverse buffalo proof with a much higher mintage than the AGE to settle long term at about 60-75% value of the UHR. If long term value of UHR drops or rises, I see this coin keeping step at that percentage. Don't be fooled by initially high prices when these first flood the aftermarket. For the quantity buyers I think it best to view these as quick flippers just as the 5 coin ASE proved to be. I do not see this coin in the same category as the UHR when looking at long term value.A study of the 2006 AGE Reverse Proof is in order for those planning a "flip" strategy.

Edited to add: My opinion on value is based on all the above coins having a 70 grade.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that derryb's post is spot on.

I'd still consider 60 - 75% UHR decent performance as the UHR trades @ $1k over spot raw.

I look at the RP buff as a 2-4 year hold for resale (barring spot gold crash).

In today's investing environment I think that one could do much worse than an rp buff.

I hope that this will remain the only rp buff.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭
    Do you guys plan to send the ones you purchased to be graded or kept in a sealed box?
    References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
  • Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>some people ive talked to think it will >>

No, because there are schmucks like me that's thinking of getting one only because it would look very cool right next to the reverse proof. image
  • Options
    92vette92vette Posts: 528 ✭✭✭
    The most logical comparison to the RP buff, being the RP gold eagle is imperfect IMO, since the Rp buff promises to be quite a bit more visually appealing.
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No!!! It's a flipper thats it. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> I see it as a one of a kind gold buffalo. RPs have already appeared in the AGE and ASE series. >>

You forgot the....2007 APE. All we need is a RP Palladium to complete the series.image
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Too many of us already jumped on the boat.

Edit to add. Lookouts man your stations Icebergs ahead.image

BTW as of today the RP is up to almost 25K.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file