Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

By now, this has GOT to be the only reason why I still go to coin shows!

DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭✭
I'm not sure why, but I guess unbridled optimism must be why I still go to the local monthly coin show. There's nothing there that's geared to the small-time collector like myself anymore. No "grab boxes" with anything I'd need, no 2x2's either..... just showcase after showcase of higher-end, slabbed coins, silver, and gold. I'd do better at the "youth" table outside the entrance to the coin show hall - - at least THERE they have Whitman blue folders, circulated coins, etc for YN's!

These days, I find nothing I need at all, or what I do need is way over-priced. The room's aisles are too narrow, and filled with mostly aging, overweight, odious older men barely hobbling about on their own, or using walkers & carts, blocking my passage. (DISCLOSURE: I'm also older, oversized, & wearing an eye patch, but at least I have seen a bar of soap and deodorant stick in the past 3 days!). Nobody thinks or cares to move their chairs or butts in so others can either get by or look at the same table's goods, people stand double-wide to prevent getting by as well, and nerdy types who don't look up or notice any other humans in the room (or appear to know what deodorant and shampoo is) stride quickly in my way or against the flow of traffic to stand right in front of the spot I was heading to.

Despite my observations at one month's show confirming how out of place I felt the previous time I went, for some unknown reason, I still go back once in a while, only to be disappointed yet again and reminded of why I said I wouldn't return after the previous time.

So there I was this morning, once again at the show, disappointed by the lack of anything I was looking/hoping for, including the guy who usually at least comes with Whitman folders. I was just about to turn around and walked out when I saw her in all her natural beauty!

(This is the part where true coin lovers would insert: " a glistening, MS-65 Flowing/braided/capped-hair dollar" or "a Proof Peace Dollar", etc....)

Not me...... what I saw was a true aberration. Something I'd never seen at any previous monthly coin show I had attended there..... a stunning young brunette in tight jeans that accentuated her perfectly-shaped tush, and wearing a top which highlighted her tremendous figure, and stopped just about an inch or so above her jeans....... And she was actively looking at coins!! Not bored while accompanying a boyfriend, but actually searching for and examining coins!!

I'm sure it was her boyfriend also looking at coins next to her, but it doesn't matter......

...... I think I'll be heading back to the coin show again next month when it comes around again!!! LOL!

- - Dave imageimageimage

Comments

• Options
    MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭
    You shouldn't talk about my girlfriend like thatimage
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options
    crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623
    I will never get my 2mins back I spent reading that.
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stop taking whatever you took that caused the hallucinations. image
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And why weren't you looking at coins?

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    MowgliMowgli Posts: 1,219
    Seeing such a girl at a coin show is rarer than most coins.
    In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some of those drag queens are scary good. And a few of `em do collect coins, y'know. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Seeing such a girl at a coin show is rarer than most coins. >>

Shame too. Nickel a dozen at comic cons image
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    Seems to me your interests have shifted and you should indeed stop going to coin shows and perhaps head on down to those parts of town that have the "shows" you are now more interested in.

Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    DaveGDaveG Posts: 3,535
    Also, I've noticed that, in general, people who go to antique shows (and even flea markets) are more polite than the people who go to coin shows.

Sometimes I have to bark "excuse me!" right in someone's ear to get him to move to the side of the aisle at a coin show!

Check out the Southern Gold Society

• Options
    s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I will never get my 2mins back I spent reading that. >>

Laughing uncontrollably! I will never get the two minutes back that I have spent laughing
    and typing, but it is a high point of the day! One of the best all time comments!
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    grilloj39grilloj39 Posts: 370 ✭✭

<< <i>I'm not sure why, but I guess unbridled optimism must be why I still go to the local monthly coin show. There's nothing there that's geared to the small-time collector like myself anymore. No "grab boxes" with anything I'd need, no 2x2's either..... just showcase after showcase of higher-end, slabbed coins, silver, and gold. I'd do better at the "youth" table outside the entrance to the coin show hall - - at least THERE they have Whitman blue folders, circulated coins, etc for YN's!

These days, I find nothing I need at all, or what I do need is way over-priced. The room's aisles are too narrow, and filled with mostly aging, overweight, odious older men barely hobbling about on their own, or using walkers & carts, blocking my passage. (DISCLOSURE: I'm also older, oversized, & wearing an eye patch, but at least I have seen a bar of soap and deodorant stick in the past 3 days!). Nobody thinks or cares to move their chairs or butts in so others can either get by or look at the same table's goods, people stand double-wide to prevent getting by as well, and nerdy types who don't look up or notice any other humans in the room (or appear to know what deodorant and shampoo is) stride quickly in my way or against the flow of traffic to stand right in front of the spot I was heading to.

Despite my observations at one month's show confirming how out of place I felt the previous time I went, for some unknown reason, I still go back once in a while, only to be disappointed yet again and reminded of why I said I wouldn't return after the previous time.

So there I was this morning, once again at the show, disappointed by the lack of anything I was looking/hoping for, including the guy who usually at least comes with Whitman folders. I was just about to turn around and walked out when I saw her in all her natural beauty!

(This is the part where true coin lovers would insert: " a glistening, MS-65 Flowing/braided/capped-hair dollar" or "a Proof Peace Dollar", etc....)

Not me...... what I saw was a true aberration. Something I'd never seen at any previous monthly coin show I had attended there..... a stunning young brunette in tight jeans that accentuated her perfectly-shaped tush, and wearing a top which highlighted her tremendous figure, and stopped just about an inch or so above her jeans....... And she was actively looking at coins!! Not bored while accompanying a boyfriend, but actually searching for and examining coins!!

I'm sure it was her boyfriend also looking at coins next to her, but it doesn't matter......

...... I think I'll be heading back to the coin show again next month when it comes around again!!! LOL!

- - Dave imageimageimage >>

Thanks for adding to my coin collecting knowledge. Who says you can't learn something new on the PCGS boards everyday...men are too old and the girls are too pretty; oh don't forget the aisles aren't wide enough. Throw in some Whitmans...pretty up the men, ugly-up the women, widen-up the aisles and I'll see you at the next coin show.
    Gold Coins
    Silver Coins

e-bay ID: grilloj39
    e-mail: grilloj39@gmail.com
  • Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

I think that you meant to post in this thread.
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So your the old guy i worn my girl's about.....

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Someone needs to go to the supermarket more often.image
  • Options

LOL. I was thinking that too.
  • Options
    TireKickerTireKicker Posts: 870 ✭✭

<< <i>Someone needs to go to the supermarket more often.image >>

All the best,

Rob

Successful Trades with: Coincast, MICHAELDIXON

Successful Purchases from: Manorcourtman, Meltdown
  • Options
    410a410a Posts: 1,325

Yeah, yeah! The guy's got one eye. One good eye. image
  • Options
    Rayman311Rayman311 Posts: 423 ✭✭✭

+1

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Certainly the high point of coin shows...when I lived in Seattle, there would frequently be attractive ladies in attendance... sometimes with a collector and sometimes collecting....certainly the minority, but very welcome. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭✭
    It certainly made MY day, after another discouraging coin show foray. image
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, that same thing is what keeps me going to the gym! image
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    the only reason I leave the HOUSE ! thanks for breaking up the monotony of the board !
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm not sure why, but I guess unbridled optimism must be why I still go to the local monthly coin show. There's nothing there that's geared to the small-time collector like myself anymore. No "grab boxes" with anything I'd need, no 2x2's either..... just showcase after showcase of higher-end, slabbed coins, silver, and gold. I'd do better at the "youth" table outside the entrance to the coin show hall - - at least THERE they have Whitman blue folders, circulated coins, etc for YN's!

To je puni govana
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    PRECIOUSMENTALPRECIOUSMENTAL Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭

• Options
    PRECIOUSMENTALPRECIOUSMENTAL Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭
    Almost sounds like a gun show-Was someone selling beef jerkies?
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One thing I do like about setting up at show is girl watching. A guy will come in with a really hot gal and I will watch them as they work their way around the bourse room. You know he must have some real money to get her.

But one thats actually interested in coins, well that sure is a rarity.
    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>One thing I do like about setting up at show is girl watching. A guy will come in with a really hot gal and I will watch them as they work their way around the bourse room. You know he must have some real money to get her.

But one thats actually interested in coins, well that sure is a rarity. >>

Cougar, I thought you were an older woman.
    Lance.
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    Dave, thanks for adding some much-needed levity to the forum. image We have just about the same number of posts and joined around the same time, too. image
  • Options
    This is why girls feel uncomfortable at coin shows. You've literally taken to a forum to talk about how you were oogling over her ass.
  • Options
    So what I would try to do is walk up to the young lady and say..."hey, you collect coins?-what a surprise! Me too...We should exchange phone numbers to talk coins some time..." If she responded positively, I might ask..."Can I check out your bust halves?" or..."Ok girl, now show me that Standing Liberty type 1..." This is an awesome thread. Not enough women into coins.
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So what I would try to do is walk up to the young lady and say..."hey, you collect coins?-what a surprise! Me too...We should exchange phone numbers to talk coins some time..." If she responded positively, I might ask..."Can I check out your bust halves?" or..."Ok girl, now show me that Standing Liberty type 1..." This is an awesome thread. Not enough women into coins. >>

... and you wonder what keeps them away? Could it be creepy old guys who act like they have never seen a female before.
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    TassaTassa Posts: 2,373 ✭✭

<< <i>This is why girls feel uncomfortable at coin shows. You've literally taken to a forum to talk about how you were oogling over her ass. >>

Exactly-well, at least it's one of the reasons.
  • Options

<< <i> "hey, you collect coins?-what a surprise! Me too...We should exchange phone numbers to talk coins some time..." If she responded positively, I might ask..."Can I check out your bust halves?" or..."Ok girl, now show me that Standing Liberty type 1..." >>

Yes, flawless strategy. Gets 'em every time. Try it and report back.

I'm all for good fun, but this thread is pretty gross.
  • Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    This string is worthless without a photo, keep your cell phone ready!!
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file