Home Precious Metals
Options

Random fact: avdp oz in Britain not legal unit

LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
Apparently on January 1, 2000, the avoirdupois ounce ceased to be a legal unit of measure within the United Kingdom for economic, health, safety or administrative purposes.

I can understand the economic uses, since the troy ounce is our preferred measure. But what brought this on? image

I'm still waiting for the USA to [officially] convert to metric. I doubt it will ever happen.
ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

Comments

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Apparently on January 1, 2000, the avoirdupois ounce ceased to be a legal unit of measure within the United Kingdom for economic, health, safety or administrative purposes.

I can understand the economic uses, since the troy ounce is our preferred measure. But what brought this on? image

I'm still waiting for the USA to [officially] convert to metric. I doubt it will ever happen. >>

The US is one of three countries that has not adopted the International System of Units (SI) metric system as their official system of weights and measures, along with Burma (Myanmar) and Liberia.[1]

We are sure in "good company."image
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    Does Liberia count as a separate country? All of my modern Liberia coins look like US coins ... image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Does Liberia count as a separate country? All of my modern Liberia coins look like US coins ... image >>

For over 100 years....coins look like US coins because they were probably minted by the Franklin Mint image
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    Actually the 1970's Liberia coins are not similar. I was referring to the later issues, like the 90's and 00's which are basically all NCLT. The older stuff was circulated and I don't think FM struck them.

Besides, Philadelphia (and Paris, and Heaton) struck more foreign nations' coinage than FM.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Schools are teaching the metric system, but the avoirdupois system is so deeply ingrained it may never be replaced. Cheers, RickO