OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
But I just saw this head line
"OBAMA Wants to FOCUS on the ECONOMY"

That kinda scares meimage

Steve
Promote the Hobby

Comments

• Options
    It's hard for me to take seriously/truthfully almost anything I see or read in mass media these days. I've pretty much (95%) tuned it all out at this point.
  • Options
    mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It's hard for me to take seriously/truthfully almost anything I see or read in mass media these days. I've pretty much (95%) tuned it all out at this point. >>

I have lived my life like this... Only a year a go I started paying attention to the news... I stopped watching again. It is clear that all news is either biased or agenda based...

Waste of my time and life.
  • Options
    bosco5041bosco5041 Posts: 1,303

<< <i>

<< <i>It's hard for me to take seriously/truthfully almost anything I see or read in mass media these days. I've pretty much (95%) tuned it all out at this point. >>

I have lived my life like this... Only a year a go I started paying attention to the news... I stopped watching again. It is clear that all news is either biased or agenda based...

Waste of my time and life. >>

I watch the news very little 3 or 4 times a week, it can also be very depressing.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It does seem that his version of "helping the middle class" is quite a bit different than the middle class's version of being helped.

I continue to believe that if the government really wanted to stimulate anything, they would direct the Fed to hand out all of the QE money directly to the people, instead of to the banks. It's really very simple. Better yet, eliminate the middleman and issue it directly from the Treasury. It's all imaginary money anyway, so there's no net difference except that the banks take a disproportionate "cut" for doing absolutely nothing.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    I don't know if there is a common reason why folks stack PMs. We could likely come up with a top 5 list or even a top 10 list
    of what we suppose the reasons are. Even if stated, I'm not sure that's the full reason.

(Obama isn't focusing on the economy. He's looking on Monster for his next job.)

-Gold (PM) Fever *
    -Hoarding *
    -Investment
    -Alternate Investment in a portfolio *
    -Collecting (hobby, inherited, ...)
    -Alternate source of Money
    -Bought early and cheap
    -Hidden investment
    -Hedging
    -Greed
    -Continue to stack to make up for higher priced purchases
    -Undetermined (unsure, token stacking)
    -Hiding from wife*
    -Caught up in it
    -Selling and flipping of course (sort of diff from stacking)

I can't take a news report serious when the reporter stands on a corner in the middle of the night, or in front of an important building, to tell you about something that happened 12 hours ago.
    (Especially when its been reported and everyone in the country already knows the info.)

COA
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only focus will be on destroying more of the economy. Then they get to 'fix' it, using Detroit and Europe as the models.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really worry when the government 'focuses' on something they know nothing about.... no good can come of this. The largest reason for manufacturing fleeing the U.S. is government over regulation and taxation. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    "OBAMA Wants to FOCUS on the ECONOMY"

This headline has been around for the last few years and is usually followed by a speech by the big O followed by a presser with Jay Carney (he got the right last name) talking about the gov helping to grow the middle class. In the years of focusing on the economy, the middle class got squat. Well if you were in a lower class, you got some freebies to help make you feel like middle class but the middle class has shrunk considerably. Middle class being those people that could purchase a home (without government help), buy a relatively new car, have a savings account with a balance, have some upward mobility and a positive AGI (pays taxes). We're going to see this headline for a week or two "OBAMA Wants to FOCUS on the ECONOMY". Expect to see lots of well spun big three stories and expect the same result.

If you want to know what is happening on the economy or in the world, watch BBC US edition on TV. You get a full, no advertising, 30 minutes of spinless news followed by 30 minutes of no advertising, no spin business news. One hour a day and you got what you need to know. But, on BBC US you probably won't see more than a short blip on "OBAMA Wants to FOCUS on the ECONOMY" because "IT'S NOT NEWS".
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> I know we stack because we worry about the Economy >>

NOT

Am I the only one who "stacks" for potential profit motivation?
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A lot of good points here, especially about the News and Banks.
    I do watch the BBC, I've lost confidence in news and press
    in this country, except for local weather and events.

But not to sound sarcastic or funny, but when I scanned that
    headline "Obama wants to FOCUS on the economy" the two
    vowels in the word "FOCUS" were both U's, Thats what I saw
    in my mind, and I thought thats kinda funny and it ain't no BS
    nor is it News, and thats what kinda scared me, because he's
    FOCUSed on way too much allready in this country.

So its just another good reason to stack.

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    yellowkidyellowkid Posts: 5,486

<< <i>

Waste of my time and life. >>

I read three newspapers a day for 40 years, I skim one now on line. Got rid of my TV ten years ago, don't even turn it on now when I check in to a hotel. I really don't feel as if I'm missing much, and I'm much happier without all the "noise".

ed. for spelling
  • Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I quit watching news on the second election.
    I thought LaBama was concentrating on Crayon's killer?
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    bosco5041bosco5041 Posts: 1,303
    I just love the feel of a handful of silver dollars.
  • Options

<< <i>It is clear that all news is either biased or agenda based... >>

So true.

And most people have no clue of this.
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

NOT

Am I the only one who "stacks" for potential profit motivation? >>

You are not alone.image
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

NOT

Gains on any gold that has only kept up with a declining dollar are in reality, after taxes, actually a loss. The hope is that one lost less holding the gold than one would have by holding devalued dollars. Tax consideration will tell the final truth. While one has to pay taxes on gains measured in dollars, unfortunately one is not able to deduct losses on a dollar that suffered value destruction at the hands of its managers.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    unfortunately one is not able to deduct losses on a dollar that suffered value destruction at the hands of its managers

It's easier to tax via inflation than by actually having to vote on it.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

NOT

You are not alone.image >>

Count me in as well. Perhaps someday I will see what I have envisioned come to fruition though I must admit I expected that moment to have arrived by now.image
  • Options
    I like Kyle Bass.

And there is a way out, but its a 4 letter word, and not that 4 letter word.

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

The US media is a wasteland.

Go for the other 5%.

Now days Al Jazeera is more likely to tell the truth than NBC which can lie on multiple levels at once. They report "news" that isn't news at all and report it incorrectly.

There no truth in Tass and no news in Investia except now days.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Runaway train - one of the reasons that I stack:

• Options
    Currency Markets: The Next Crisis Has Begun

"Smart money has known for months this was coming. I strongly suspect the manipulation in gold over the last 8 months was done to transfer physical metal from weak hands into strong hands in preparation for this event. Now it's time for gold to do its job of protecting wealth during a currency crisis. . . And ultimately all the manipulation will succeed in doing is to cause price to rise much further and faster than would have occurred if gold had been allowed to trade freely."

• Options
    I strongly suspect the manipulation in gold over the last 8 months was done to transfer physical metal

Is it not possible that the decline in gold was just simply the result of plain old trading after a 12 year run. Why does every move have to be related to some conspiracy or manipulation theory?

The PM bulls message would be much more freely accepted without such rhetoric.

• Options

<< <i>Is it not possible that the decline in gold was just simply the result of plain old trading after a 12 year run. >>

No, not when there is record demand and when there is so much evidence of manipulation. And don't ask for the evidence, its been provided on many occasions and endorsed by some of the best minds in the metals market. FED and FOMC market manipulation, executed by the banks to whom they provide great profit, have taken plain old trading out of the equation. Successful repeal of the Glass Steagall Act was accomplished for the purpose of making this possible. Only a miracle can make a blind man see.

Question: Have equities been juiced upward or is that just the result of plain old trading?

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I stack because I can't get around the course with my irons like Mickelson.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Question: Have equities been juiced upward or is that just the result of plain old trading (POT)?

Why plain old trading of course.

It's just that that >70% of the trading is done by HFT's owned by the major banks and huge hedge funds and funded via the FED's various QE programs.
    What's not to like?
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    "It's just that that >70% of the trading is done by HFT's owned by the major banks and huge hedge funds and funded via the FED's various QE programs.
    What's not to like?"

I know there are still day traders out there and plenty of folks who like to peck at their portfolios and you gotta admit, it is entertaining and it can be profitable for the regular guys. But "What's not to like?"...the banksters+gov are playing a game with the devil and we all know that the devil will be paid. Any regular folk affected are simply collateral damage and it ain't about them in the first place.

Hey Buddy, can you spare and ASE?

• Options
    Roadrunner, as you know I hate HFT and do believe the stock market will suffer quite dramatically as a result someday, but even HFT can only effect prices for very short periods of time. The 40% decline in gold cannot be explained by HFT.

No, not when there is record demand and when there is so much evidence of manipulation

This is where manipulation and conspiracy theories are born--thru a lack of understanding. Record demand will only result in higher prices when that demand exceeds supply. Prices can even go higher when there is not record demand. It is an imbalance in the demand/supply equation that moves prices.

People often think that record demand must equate to record prices and this unfortunately is not usually the case.

Have equities been juiced upward or is that just the result of plain old trading?

Equities have not been "juiced upward". Many companies have strengthened their balance sheets and increased earnings. This makes a company more valuable and is the reason for higher equity prices.

• Options

<< <i>This is where manipulation and conspiracy theories are born--thru a lack of understanding. Record demand will only result in higher prices when that demand exceeds supply. Prices can even go higher when there is not record demand. It is an imbalance in the demand/supply equation that moves prices. >>

And I would argue that since 2008 at a minimum, the demand side of you equation has been manipulated ("controlled" if that makes you more comfortable) through massive infusions of funny money and in the case of certain future's markets through the use of massive shorting (with a guaranteed profit for the shorters) at the direction of the FOMC. Additionally, the supply side of your equation when applied to metal futures in particular becomes adulterated by allowing the leveraged trading of many multiples of the actual metal held.

If gold were traded in a true, unmanipulated market, as are tomatoes at the farmer's market, the price would be through the roof. The ultimate manipulation of gold, or any commodity for that matter, is the fact that price is set by paper promises for quantities that are many, many times greater than the actual supply. Current futures trading allows for an increase in supply for pricing purposes without actually requiring an equal increase in the physical suppy to back those paper promises. That in itself is market manipulation.

While supply and demand will always determine price equilibrium, having control of that supply number (whether it is real or not) or control of the demand (funding or directing those who bid) allows the controller to determine price. In essence control has been assumed by someone other than actual market players. No different than any other type of control coming out of Washington.

• Options
    If gold were traded in a true, unmanipulated market, as are tomatoes at the farmer's market, the price would be through the roof

Or would it be a lot lower?