Home Precious Metals
Options

So when will you sell or bail out?

tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
We had a lot of discussion about who would start buying and at what price before the drop.

Now, who will sell off when the price goes up? What's your threshold to sell or bail out?
COA

Comments

• Options
    BanemorthBanemorth Posts: 986 ✭✭✭
    I'm not selling until we're $40+ again. As for buying I added 130ozs as soon as we dipped below $20. I'm getting ready to pull the trigger again. I missed out on the sub $19 silver and am hoping to see that again. You can't go wrong at these prices though (unless you're looking for a quick flip.)
    Justin From Jersey

Successful Transactions With: JoeLewis, Mkman123, Harry779, Grote15, gdavis70, Kryptonitecomics
  • Options
    ZubieZubie Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭✭
    I sold almost everything a year and a half ago for a down payment on a house. I'm just now in a position to start stacking again and won't sell anything until my two boys are getting ready for college...15 years from now
    Positive BST Transactions with:
    Overdate, BestMR, Weather11AM, TDEC1000, Carew4me, BigMarty58, Coinsarefun, Golfer72, UnknownComic, DMarks, JFoot13, ElKevvo, Truthteller, Duxbutt, TwoSides2aCoin, PerryHall, mhammerman, Papabear, Wingsrule, WTCG, MillerJW, Ciccio, zrlevin, dantheman984, tee135, jdimmick, gsa1fan, jmski52, SUMORADA, guitarwes, bstat1020, pitboss, meltdown, Schmitz7, 30AnvZ28, pragmaticgoat, wondercoin & MkMan123
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭
    If we see another parabola in the next few years I'll try to sell off some as close to the top as I can perceive so I'll have very little $ in what I have left in the stack then cost average buy on the next leg down or bottom. I'm alot smarter now than when it happened before (mostly thanks to the folks on this PM Forum).
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since I do not subscribe to any "doomsday scenario's" that seem so prevalent when dealing in PM's, I sell whenever there is a substantial profit to be made, just like any other asset class and buy when I feel the item is undervalued. Other than PCGS certified numsmatic silver or gold coins, I do not accumulate PM's for potential replacement of our fiat currency. Cash, under normal circumstances, will always be king.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Minus any nice GSR swaps, 20+ years unless dire circumstances require liquidity.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    when i need the money, it's my long term savings account (in lieu of CDs)

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I need the money. Cash flow is good and I won't retire until 2020-2022. 8-10 years is a long time for me to continue stacking.

• Options
    mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭

<< <i>When I need the money. Cash flow is good and I won't retire until 2020-2022. 8-10 years is a long time for me to continue stacking. >>

This... My stack is earmarked to assist with living between the ages of 50 and 65. Currently 40.

That said, I am currently unemployed but my wife is still working.

• Options
    yellowkidyellowkid Posts: 5,486
    I guess a PM pile now looks like my stock portfolio did five years ago. I didn't sell stock then and I won't sell PM's now, it's all about long term.
  • Options
    mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    "When I need the money."

Yep
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    When it's above $40, most likely. If its above $50, sell it all. If it's meandering between $25-$35 doubtful.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No plans to sell.... it would get tempting at $75 (silver) and $2500 (gold).... image Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>When it's above $40, most likely. If its above $50, sell it all. If it's meandering between $25-$35 doubtful. >>

I wish I had done this two years ago. Right now I would be reloading.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll only sell when I need the money for a necessary purchase or when the government starts showing fiscal responsibility by getting its financial house in order (balanced budget and paying down the national debt), whichever comes first.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭

<< <i>when i need the money, it's my long term savings account (in lieu of CDs) >>

Me too.
    Becky
  • Options
    vprvpr Posts: 604 ✭✭✭
    As I mentioned in another thread, I won't sell at $40 or $50. At those prices, I will be buying. Now, I'm just on the sidelines waiting for the right time. I won't buy much till I can figure out what's going to happen with China. If it slows down significantly, gold could drop back down to $800. Things that go up so much for such a long time usually correct for a long time too. Gold has not gone down enough, IMO.
    References: Too many to list. PM for details. 100% satisfaction both as buyer and seller. As a seller, I ship promptly and keep buyers updated.
  • Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    Bought 8.5 oz AGE's last 2 days. Hope i never have to sell. savings account much like others hereimage
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>When it's above $40, most likely. If its above $50, sell it all. If it's meandering between $25-$35 doubtful. >>

I wish I had done this two years ago. Right now I would be reloading. >>

I am! image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    vprvpr Posts: 604 ✭✭✭
    And besides, I hate the idea that I can't one day wake up, turn on my computer and liquidate my physical PMs. I would have to post an ad (or get ripped off by a dealer), hope that I get paid and ship out the stuff. Also, PMs pay no dividends. I might just invest in the ETFs instead of holding physical metal. I'm still searching for stocks that outperform PMs, when PMs start going up.
    References: Too many to list. PM for details. 100% satisfaction both as buyer and seller. As a seller, I ship promptly and keep buyers updated.
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When the DJIA = 1 oz of Au.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)