Home U.S. Coin Forum

If one were to attempt to make a Morgan date set...

erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭✭✭
What would be the best way to do it in say MS64/65? Places to shop, references to use, etc??

Comments

• I'd focus on a specific mint instead of a complete date set. At the end of the day, a "date set" is really just an accumulation of individual coins. A mint specific set has a recognizable theme.

Carson City 1878-1893 or New Orleans 1879-1904 are the best bets in my opinion, especially Carson City which has a huge collector base.

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very worth doing a DATE set. As noted, save up for the 93-95 and even cut some slack on the 95.

I ...had.... a raw set back in the 70's that I....KICK.... myself for selling. Capital holder and all. P/L 1921 even. The 95-O was AU.
    Stunning.

But.... well.... dumb dumb dumb.

The guy who bought it had to BREAK IT UP to sell it.

Oh the old days.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I assembled a CC set...it was great fun.... you may have to back off on the 64/65 target on a couple of dates though... depends on your discretionary funds... Cheers, RickO
  • earlycoinsearlycoins Posts: 282 ✭✭✭
    What I'm going to say is merely opinion. But it's the way that I conduct my own purchases and collecting.

Select and purchase quality over quantity. Best to stick with PCGS & CAC, if you have a desire of liquidity.

If you're seeking a "set," GoldClause's suggestion regarding specifying a mint is a great idea.

There are so many examples of many of these coins out there, that selecting your grade specifically to the population is important. Some of these coins are available in hundreds or thousands of examples. If you can't achieve an example that in some way sets your purchase apart from pretty bullion, but mounted in plastic, and at a higher price, it's sometimes best to pass up the date.

The last thing you want to occur is to find yourself seeking buyers for moderately-priced plastic, when there may not be any.

Before you purchase anything, do your research. Get the best books into your library, and understand what it is you're seeking. Mr. Bowers tomes are a great place to start. One is in print, the other I believe, out.

As for places to shop, everyone has their favorites. I'm a huge Legend fan. Fair prices, honesty, knowledge. And the absolute finest quality for the grade.

Lastly, unless you really know what you're doing, be very afraid of eBay, and somewhat fearful of auctions, unless you have an expert bidding for you. That small extra percentage can save you a great deal of heartache, and help save your investments.

Oh, and while you're doing all this, have fun.

EC

• DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1893-94-95 years alone make a date set in MS65 a hefty undertaking.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,432 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have started and quit on the Morgan dollar date set a couple of times. Depending upon your budget, I suppose you could go for MS-65, as others have said it gets hard for the '93, '94 and '95. I've always been partial to very select MS-64 coins myself. They are just about as pretty and a lot less money.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try shooting for a full set buying the best example for dates that you can afford. I would not go for a date set with all the coins in 64/65.

There is something to appreciate about looking at a set in various grades as long as you like them.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• daOnlyBGdaOnlyBG Posts: 1,060 ✭✭
    IMO, there are enough MS65 common dates to go around... I'd actually skimp back on the common dates (MS62-3) and look to spend money on higher grade key dates. Of course, if your budget won't even allow that, perhaps you should specialize in a certain time period or mint. I think having a Carson City collection is a wonderful idea.
    Successful BST transactions with: blu62vette, Shortgapbob, Dolan, valente151, cucamongacoin, ajaan

Interests:
    Pre-Jump Grade Project
    Toned Commemoratives
  • AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Date set for Morgans is a great way to go. Although the 93-95 slots can be more expensive you get to avoid some of the rarer branch mints so it is doable.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭
    anyone ever consider a 20th century morgan set? 1900-1904,1921

• << <i>anyone ever consider a 20th century morgan set? 1900-1904,1921 >>

How about a Denver mint Morgan Set. image
  • LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Date Set 63-65 depending on the tougher ones.

When I first set out for the complete slabbed 97 coin set a long time ago, I had in mind a grade of 63 for as many as I could afford. I later realized I had to add some lower grades on tougher dates/mintmarks but could get better grades on others. I completed the set, and crossed all to PCGS which weren`t already in them. Now it`s just an occasional upgrade here and there to try for an average grade of 60.0 on the overall set. Tough to do for me at least.

Again, Date Set, 63 to 65 would be my goal, minus the 95 maybe as a AU?.

• Collect what makes you happy. If your long term goal is to make and/or maximize profit then go for high grade slabbed coins or with one of the selections mentioned above.

My set which is complete except for the 1895, was put together over many years. For some of the rarer ones I had to go with a grade that I could afford. Now that it is complete I do occasionally work on upgrading a few coins when the opportunity comes around. Mine was started with the goal of completing the set. Future profit was not an aim and it still isn't, although I've had most of them so long that there is some price appreciation and of course gradeflation has bumped most of my set up at least 1 gradeimage
    I live in my own world. But it's OK, they know me there.
  • I have done two... they are a challenge but certainly rewarding. The first one was in a Dansco album and the second one I had a Capital holder made. I have also started gathering CC Morgans, and will maybe put them all into a PCGS multi-holder when complete. Some DMPL color coins are not too difficult to find... It takes an aggressive search (dealers, attending shows, auction houses) to complete one in any sensible amount of time, whether well funded or not so well funded.
  • TonerGuyTonerGuy Posts: 590 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have done two... they are a challenge but certainly rewarding. The first one was in a Dansco album and the second one I had a Capital holder made. I have also started gathering CC Morgans, and will maybe put them all into a PCGS multi-holder when complete. Some DMPL color coins are not too difficult to find... It takes an aggressive search (dealers, attending shows, auction houses) to complete one in any sensible amount of time, whether well funded or not so well funded. >>

The one in the Capital holder is beautiful. Well done.

After seeing yours, I considered copying it.... and well that thought lasted a second or so.

• << <i>

<< <i>I have done two... they are a challenge but certainly rewarding. The first one was in a Dansco album and the second one I had a Capital holder made. I have also started gathering CC Morgans, and will maybe put them all into a PCGS multi-holder when complete. Some DMPL color coins are not too difficult to find... It takes an aggressive search (dealers, attending shows, auction houses) to complete one in any sensible amount of time, whether well funded or not so well funded. >>

After seeing yours, I considered copying it.... and well that thought lasted a second or so. >>

You don't have to copy it, you can just buy mine image
  • koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think a date set is an excellent way to go. I've assembled date sets in AU and MS in the Buffalo 5c, Mercury 10c, Peace $1, and Indian head $2.50 gold. Date sets of have allowed me to to put these together-it wouldn't have been financially possible for me with the cost of the Mint marked stuff. I've thought of trying a Morgan date set.
  • mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Trying to do one in XF/AU and match them all would be challenging enough and fun to aquireimage
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Say 'MS 64' would be "ooh"
    Say 'MS 65' would be "whoa".

Either is a great attempt.
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    >>>How about a Denver mint Morgan Set. image<<<

I like this.image A one coin set of Morgans.image

<< <i>

<< <i>

After seeing yours, I considered copying it.... and well that thought lasted a second or so. >>

You don't have to copy it, you can just buy mine image >>

Thats no fun. The fun is in the hunt! But whomever does buy that set with have hours of enjoyment just staring at it. The collection in slabs diminishes that pleasure. To be able to present them in the manner you have is just about the best way possible IMHO.
  • NapNap Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a big fan of completable sets. Given that many can't afford to buy key date Morgans, even in low grade, it's nice to be able to put together a date set of classic coinage without selling the farm.

There was a recent thread on "old school collecting"

Well, it doesn't get more old school than this. I would suppose the majority of old tyme collectors considered different mint marks to be varieties, and not necessary to complete a set of coins.

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

You don't have to copy it, you can just buy mine image >>

Thats no fun. The fun is in the hunt! But whomever does buy that set with have hours of enjoyment just staring at it. The collection in slabs diminishes that pleasure. To be able to present them in the manner you have is just about the best way possible IMHO. >>

True, It was a risk to crack these out but I am happy to hear at least some agree with the presentation. It is still a thrill for me to open it up and take a look. I will update the listing with some 1080p video that really shows the interaction of light with luster. Pictures don't really do the job. TonerGuy, why don't you do a set with Peace dollars? That would be killer.
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Too bad they never circulated that well would of made for a real challenge finding them in the wild.
    BTW even the Everyman's set got hard to complete when it got to the Key dates. image
  • OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,903 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For those of us on more limited budgets, a five-coin set could be fun.

The set could incorporate one coin from each mint, one coin from each decade, and the first and last years struck.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

<< <i>
    True, It was a risk to crack these out but I am happy to hear at least some agree with the presentation. It is still a thrill for me to open it up and take a look. I will update the listing with some 1080p video that really shows the interaction of light with luster. Pictures don't really do the job. TonerGuy, why don't you do a set with Peace dollars? That would be killer. >>

I thought about it. It wouldnt be as dramatic or attractive as Morgans. Once you got past the 22-26 coins - coins with attractive toning for 21, 27, 28, 34 and 35 examples are extremely difficult to find. Half the coins would be nice and the other half boring.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file