Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I love the heraldic eagle Morgan design, so I decided to get a tattoo.

morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
image What do you guys think? I was considering maybe the IGWT in Old English above it in a half circle.
It needs more, seems a bit naked. Also considering the laurel wreath around it. It's the 8TF design if anyone's counting.

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO

Comments

• Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, I thought I liked Morgansimage

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You forgot the VAM attribution. image

JK! image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow, the artist did an incredible job!!!
  • Options
    <<Wow, the artist did an incredible job!!!>>

Yes he did. I took an image of the only 8TF I have in 64 and blew it up, so he would have a decent representation to work with.
    During the tattoo process, I may have turned this artist into a Morgan collector. I brought some slabbed pieces with me and he was blown away looking at MS65 pieces. We talked about everything from the designer to Anna W. Williams, to the Bland-Allison Act, key dates, VAM'S, prices, TPG's, old holders, toning, DMPL's, proofs, Pittman Act, to 1921, the last of the Morgans. Tried to do my part in expanding the hobby, while going through the pain of getting inked.
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh My! image

That being said, I will agree with others, the artist did a great job! That would be a big bit at coin shows. image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that the addition of a CC would make it complete.....image Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭
    That's hardcore! Good detail too.
  • Options

<< <i>That's hardcore! Good detail too. >>

Took the words right out of my mouth. Hardcore.
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you flip over to the other side. I would like to see the obv image Nice job image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,983 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice!
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,126 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think that the addition of a CC would make it complete..... Cheers, RickO >>

I'll second that!!!
  • Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah yes the spitting, excuse me..........I mean the flexing eagle variety!
    Love it! image

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The artist certainly did a great job on that one. Well done.

The thought of having a coin design tattooed on me has actually crossed my mind, but know my wife would shoot me.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think that the addition of a CC would make it complete.....image Cheers, RickO >>

Why not go for a complete set?image
  • Options
    <<The thought of having a coin design tattooed on me has actually crossed my mind, but know my wife would shoot me.>>

Go for it, get it done, she may like it. What design do you have in mind?
  • Options
    jmcu12jmcu12 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭
    Or how about a Tailbar?! image
    Awarded latest "YOU SUCK!": June 11, 2014
  • Options
    chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭
    i,m not a big fan of tattoos but I would never say that to someone with a bicep that so easily supports an eagle
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never liked 'em and asked my daughters not to. I lost that round, but I must say your artist did a fantastic job. I'd go MS 64 with a shot at a sticker (despite all the rub). I'd wager even Longacre would approve.
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks NT to me, at least from the elbow down. image
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not a fan of tats at all, especially on women, but I must say, if you're gonna do it, do it right. Consider my weak approval as high praise from the opposition camp. You and the artist did it right.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enjoy your coins while your eyes are good and your skin while your in it! Now you've marked yourself as a free thinker and not one to get in line with the masses. Great way to add to your collection, but be aware, nobody stops at one once they crack the seal on tattoos my friend. Keep us posted on your additions.
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it's great! ....and it sure fits your handle, too. image
  • Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭
    Can't tell if it's the Reverse of '78 or Reverse of '79... image
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    8TF, neat!
  • Options
    magikbillymagikbilly Posts: 6,780
    Hi image

I think it looks great on your arm. It is so prominent and attractive that were it me - I'd leave it be. To add the wreath or motto would detract from the careful placement the artist created, IMHO. Just my .02.

Best wishes,
    Eric

Edited to change "for" to from"
  • Options
    kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Very nice! image
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it
  • Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very Cool Tattoo! IMO, now instead of looking like you could be a main-character on NYPD Blue, you look like you could be cast in the next 'Departed' movie image

I really do think that is one of the coolest ideas for a tattoo I have ever seen, and I got a couple left over from my younger days that still won't rub off.

Erik
  • Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Way better than Firstspouseforever's tatto idea. image

The artist did a great job!
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd go back and get a "CC" just underneath. image
  • Options
    The one time a DDR is bad lol
  • Options
    HighReliefHighRelief Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thats what I call dedication to numismatics with some fine artwork image
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you think maybe you took your username morgansforever a bit too seriously imageimageimage

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    djdilliodondjdilliodon Posts: 1,938 ✭✭
    You got a license for those guns lol? J/K Tatt looks sweet!
  • Options
    <<Do you think maybe you took your username morgansforever a bit too seriously>>

The decision was easy, I enjoy collecting Morgans, I shoot birds of prey, and wanted something outside the norm. The artist has never done a heraldic eagle in his 20 years of tattooing. I'm confident this is not a common request for a tattoo.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You forgot the VAM attribution. image >>

Looks like an A1c reverse. Should have had an A1h done. image
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very hardcore and the artist rendered a very nice job. I usually don't care for tats, but that has cool factor.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭

That could've turned out oh so horribly with the wrong artist, but that tat looks awesome. He did a fantastic job. The shading and layers are great. Props to him.....and for never doing one before?!? Wow.

When you flex those Tri's does it flap like a live bird? image

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Can you flip over to the other side. I would like to see the obv image Nice job image >>

I'm pretty sure that member dizzyfox has the obverse tat? image

...and MWallace has a fugio tat ... and a couple other members too ...

You guys are gonna have to start a gang.

• Options
    shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    Wow, love the detail and you have the delts to cover the wing span image

Just my opinion but you should definitely leave it as is, more is often less on a great piece of art.

When (and where) will Rick Snow get his flying eagle tat?
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭
    This was too cool to let it sink into the forum abyss.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad Shylock spoke up - it's the deltoid that is the key here, not the biceps. image

Trying to figure out how to explain the Schoolgirl tattoo to the wife.....
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    <<Trying to figure out how to explain the Schoolgirl tattoo to the wife.....>>

One of my favorite patterns, that and the Wash Lady design quarter. The driving factor for me was simple, it's a representation of what I collect the most and the best example of an eagle on American coinage IMO. The reverse of a $10 Liberty Head eagle is also quite attractive. Talk to her about it, she may be ok with it, doesn't hurt to ask.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file