Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Theft Bust Halves

mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

THEFT

A dealer attending the recent Baltimore show has reported the theft of over $80,000 in Bust halves. The coins housed in two books were removed from the dealers show case.

Click below for a complete list of Bust halves:

STOLEN COIN LIST

Anyone with information or comes into contact with persons attempting to sell a large quantity of Bust halves should contact:

Doug Davis
817-723-7231
doug@numismaticcrimes.org

Comments

• Options
    lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    Who was the dealer?
    I brake for ear bars.
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yikes! imageimage
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭
    Hearing this makes me physically sick! I think I would only want to have a table at shows where I was allowed to wear a gun holstered and visible to the public. At first thought it may not be good for business, but on second thought I would probably get even more customers from fellow firearm enthusiasts!
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Who was the dealer? >>

What you see is all the information they are sharing in this alert

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damn!
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I take it that the coins were all raw, not certified. That will make the recovery tougher.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I take it that the coins were all raw, not certified. That will make the recovery tougher. >>

More along the lines of "impossible" I am thinking.
  • Options
    coin22lovercoin22lover Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭
    Does this mystery dealer have pictures of the coins? If he could release those, it would be immensely helpful.
  • Options
    ajmanajman Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭
    I agree that more information is needed.
    Beer is Proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy -Benjamin Franklin-
  • Options
    JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭
    I was not the dealer, but pictures are available. If you see several of these in an unusual place, it would be wise to contact Doug Davis.
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • Options
    coinguy1989coinguy1989 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭

<< <i>I was not the dealer, but pictures are available. If you see several of these in an unusual place, it would be wise to contact Doug Davis. >>

Where are the images?
  • Options
    Were they slabbed? Attributed? It might help if we knew more about what we were looking out for.
    I brake for ear bars.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will check the coin shop in my area...never know... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Were they slabbed? Attributed? It might help if we knew more about what we were looking out for. >>

The OP says they were housed in two books so it appears they weren't slabbed. The list shows the Overton Varieties.
    Lance.
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    That is a very nice group of Capped Bust Half Dollars. Wonder why there were no early dates, or very late dates. This dealer would have been much better off submitting his coins to PCGS, rather than storing them raw in a Bluebook. Finding raw coins like this is nearly impossible, the crooks know it, and the potential dealers to buy the stuff also know it. All the crook needs to say is he inherited it from his grandpa.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Two books taken from the dealers showcase?
    That makes me sick too.

I have questions having never been to a major show.

Aren't there enough security cameras to ID the person?
    I would take some brass ones to pull this off.

Were they taken during the show or overnight?
    I can't imagine letting these out of sight at anytime.

I suppose none of this matters and all that does matter is recovery and prosecution.
    All thieves will get theirs one day.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>All thieves will get theirs one day. >>

...or one night.

I hope they are recovered, thoughts and prayers are with the victim here.

Erik
  • Options
    Some people use binders and plastic sheets to stick their slabs in like people do with baseball cards.

Maybe blue books is a term of art with which I'm unfamiliar.

I'm a little skeptical to think there is a hoard of these high grade coins and attributions all raw. Usually a dealer would allow someone to review coins one book at a time. Anyone else wonder if they were insured?
    I brake for ear bars.
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hate to hear this kind of stuff.
    I assume the coins are raw so recovery will be tough.
    Maybe some of the pics could be shared with some EBay sellers who might keep an eye out if they show up for sale.
    Hopefully some security cams got a potential pic of the thief.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think you can fit 100+ slabs in a couple of books. I think the listing would have cited a TPG grade.

They're raw and not especially high grade, but nice nonetheless.

I'd guess the dealer was insured. But I've heard crazier things.
    Lance.
  • Options

<< <i>Hate to hear this kind of stuff.
    I assume the coins are raw so recovery will be tough.
    Maybe some of the pics could be shared with some EBay sellers who might keep an eye out if they show up for sale.
    Hopefully some security cams got a potential pic of the thief. >>

That's why I think the identity of the dealer is important. I know guys who overgrade, so they say a coin is au50, and PCGS thinks it is xf35. It would help if this stuff belongs to one of those guys.
    I brake for ear bars.
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not the dealer involved in this situation, and I don't think it is important to know who the dealer is. I do know who it is, and I believe that the coins were graded properly.

Let's all keep our eyes out for these raw coins, and maybe some or all of them can be recovered.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,526 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ouch, i hope they bust em real good.
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any updates on this?

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,526 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Will check the coin shop in my area...never know... Cheers, RickO >>

same here. ya never know
  • Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

We are told that photos exist. Are the images available for distribution to coin dealers? Since every Bust half is unique is some way, the pictures would be a great tool.

Who had the images?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file