Home Precious Metals
Options

2009 UHR raw prices

CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
I am looking to buy a 2009 UHR raw but I can't find one for below 2K. I know it sounds weird but I like to put my hands on a coin so slabbed is out of the question. If I can get one closer to spot culled or damaged would be fine. Any ideas?

Thanks,

BC
Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.

Comments

• Options
    nibannynibanny Posts: 2,761
    Do you really want to put in your collection one of the most beautiful coins ever (imo) in cull/damaged condition?

I haven't seen any under $2400. One of our fellow member (don't recall who he is, though) has one with hairlines.
    Not sure he is willing to sell it, for the right offer he may be.
    Though, don't expect it to be very close to spot.
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    Its bullion... why pay such a premium?
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Its bullion... why pay such a premium? >>

Most likely for the same reason that you're paying a premium for your so called "classic bullion" coins. It's normally referred to as supply & demand.image
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

I know your kidding
  • Options

<< <i>

Most likely for the same reason that you're paying a premium for your so called "classic bullion" coins. It's normally referred to as supply & demand.image >>

What an ass image
    UCSB Electrical Engineering....... USCG and NASA
  • Options
    mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    Wookin' pa nub.
  • Options
    vprvpr Posts: 604 ✭✭✭
    I'm looking to buy one as well, but certainly not at current premiums. The mintage was so high that at some point, premiums will drop to a few % over spot. That's when I will buy.
    References: Too many to list. PM for details. 100% satisfaction both as buyer and seller. As a seller, I ship promptly and keep buyers updated.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm looking to buy one as well, but certainly not at current premiums. The mintage was so high that at some point, premiums will drop to a few % over spot. That's when I will buy. >>

You may have a long wait for that to happen. If anything, prices have stabilized and are beginning to rise once again. Raw UHR's are selling for $2500+
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm looking to buy one as well, but certainly not at current premiums. The mintage was so high that at some point, premiums will drop to a few % over spot. That's when I will buy. >>

That's what I thought would happen, too, but it hasn't, at least not yet and maybe never. Bought a single one from the mint the first day, keep waiting for them to come down closer to melt, but they aren't... and we're not alone, lots and lots of people willing to pay a steep premium, so good luck getting one or more cheap

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    vprvpr Posts: 604 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

That's what I thought would happen, too, but it hasn't, at least not yet and maybe never. Bought a single one from the mint the first day, keep waiting for them to come down closer to melt, but they aren't... and we're not alone, lots and lots of people willing to pay a steep premium, so good luck getting one or more cheap >>

It's a cool piece to have but not at these premiums. Considering the mintage and the number of coins graded MS70, I just can't justify it. I will continue buying the low premium stuff. Maybe in 20 years or so, the premiums will come down. Either way, to me it's just cool looking bullion.
    References: Too many to list. PM for details. 100% satisfaction both as buyer and seller. As a seller, I ship promptly and keep buyers updated.
  • Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    Mine is prize of my stack. It would cost someone 2x's going rate! I really love it! Thanks, Tomahawk!!!image
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    ZubieZubie Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭✭
    I bought 2 UHRs in 2009 for $1189, had them graded (PCGS MS69s) and flipped them for $800 extra each...
    And I have been regretting it ever since.
    I ended up biting the bullet and bought a raw on ebay for $2700 which I thought would be a PL for sure, ended up a MS70.
    I've been thinking about buying 2 more for my kids and was hoping the price would drop, but, no luck.
    In my opinion, a UHR is a must have coin if you are a modern collector.
    Positive BST Transactions with:
    Overdate, BestMR, Weather11AM, TDEC1000, Carew4me, BigMarty58, Coinsarefun, Golfer72, UnknownComic, DMarks, JFoot13, ElKevvo, Truthteller, Duxbutt, TwoSides2aCoin, PerryHall, mhammerman, Papabear, Wingsrule, WTCG, MillerJW, Ciccio, zrlevin, dantheman984, tee135, jdimmick, gsa1fan, jmski52, SUMORADA, guitarwes, bstat1020, pitboss, meltdown, Schmitz7, 30AnvZ28, pragmaticgoat, wondercoin & MkMan123
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is damn funny!

You got my sense of humor high enough that I pulled my PL out for a viewing, and yup, the "premium" remains the same.

I am glad I have mine as it's beauty is unsurpassed.
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options

<< <i>

That is damn funny!

You got my sense of humor high enough that I pulled my PL out for a viewing, and yup, the "premium" remains the same.

I am glad I have mine as it's beauty is unsurpassed. >>

That is exactly why I want one. I will be like Golem and it will be my precious.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,563 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just checked.... The Law Of Supply And Demand IS still in effect!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep... should have got one at issue... will get one sometime... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't have mine on display, but I think the original mint packaging is quite attractive:

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
  • Options
    What if you have this inside the box?!

Btw, for the OP, morgansforever posted this pic.

• Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭

<< <i>image >>

Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image >>

I just saw this pic with a different caption this morningimage
  • Options
    these are neat, neat items that will always demand significant premium to melt (>100% imo), they're just so cool and with great packaging.

the unopened box is obviously more of an investment than to look at and go oooh aaaah, he knows approximately what's in there, just not the micro-quality (70? PL?)

they only thing that would crash the price of these to near melt would be if the Mint did it by doing a re-issue, increasing supply of a nearly identical product (with just the date different) as they appear to be doing with reverse proof items. If they were smart they'd go back to the well for some fractional buffalos too, lot's of meat still on that demand bone.

• Options
    Please, Bully, give em' the business!! Show it!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image >>

Technically it's my son's. He was born in 2009 and was named in part for St. Gaudens. My birthday present to him, so I haven't unwrapped it yet image
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options

<< <i>
    Technically it's my son's. He was born in 2009 and was named in part for St. Gaudens. My birthday present to him, so I haven't unwrapped it yet image >>

That's a very cool thing for your son! image

I am as well looking for another one since I now have two kids...if I consider the average price it may come little short of $1900 each. It is not that bad.
  • Options
    KonaheadKonahead Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭
    image unless i am on the street it will stay with me. Best thing that ever came out of our mint
    PEACE! This is the first day of the rest of your life.

Fred, Las Vegas, NV
  • Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    Got mine reserved day 1 of the pre-order and had 3 of my friends order 1 each for me (1 coin max per household) so that I can have 1 for each member of the family. image
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options

<< <i>

Most likely for the same reason that you're paying a premium for your so called "classic bullion" coins. It's normally referred to as supply & demand.image >>

Hmmm... I think you are referring to gold coins that used the circulate and were not bullion?
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    You could put a big "Proof-Like" on the box and enjoy it even more! image J/K

Reminds me though why did my wife put all my display "stuff" in the cabinet only to jam the shelf with all N.C.I.S. Season DVD's to go along with her J.A.G. collection?

<< <i>I don't have mine on display, but I think the original mint packaging is quite attractive:

image >>

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Hmmm... I think you are referring to gold coins that used the circulate and were not bullion? >>

sorry to burst your bubble, but all "classic coins," gold or silver, where priced on their bullion value, circulated or not.
  • Options

<< <i>Please, Bully, give em' the business!! Show it!!!!!!!!! >>

If you don't mind, I will take care of this...image

edited to add: this is GoldBully's UHR.

• Options
    Well done, Nibanny.

Next...
  • Options
    CoulportCoulport Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭
    Close to spot? Dream on.

These are just way too popular.
    Bid on them is $2300.
    I would be surprised if you could get a hairlined one for less than $2200.
    The most money I made are on coins I haven't sold.

Got quoins?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Please, Bully, give em' the business!! Show it!!!!!!!!! >>

If you don't mind, I will take care of this...image

edited to add: this is GoldBully's UHR.

image >>

Thanks much Nibbany!

The beauty of that coin, other than the obvious, is that arguments and conjecture cease once that photo further revels the "premium!"
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's attractive and arguably the best looking throwback design piece issued thus far...but I'm curious...realistically, how much more upside could this piece have for someone who buys one at all the money today?
    Consider these things- for the sake of discussion:

1) Bullion players won't touch them for obvious reasons.
    2) Most people who like them numismatically already got theirs from the Mint or got in early aftermarket and thus don't need to (and/or aren't willing to) pay current market to get one...
    3) Aside from pieces held by unopened-box owners, the top end stuff is mostly in someone's holders by now- and priced at max money...

So in totality this infers a relatively thin top end market, composed of numismatic collectors who want to pay end-user (i.e., retail) money. And I think it's safe to assume that few if any of them want to load up at these numbers.

I guess I'm trying to say that if history is an indication, high premium + thin top end market for a "modern" usually infers a potential bubble pop down the line at some point (usually after a period of stagnation due to infrequent trades).

jmho

Opinions?

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It's attractive and arguably the best looking throwback design piece issued thus far...but I'm curious...realistically, how much more upside could this piece have for someone who buys one at all the money today?

2) Most people who like them numismatically already got theirs from the Mint or got in early aftermarket and thus don't need to (and/or aren't willing to) pay current market to get one...
    3) Aside from pieces held by unopened-box owners, the top end stuff is mostly in someone's holders by now- and priced at max money...

So in totality this infers a relatively thin top end market, composed of numismatic collectors who want to pay end-user (i.e., retail) money. And I think it's safe to assume that few if any of them want to load up at these numbers.

I guess I'm trying to say that if history is an indication, high premium + thin top end market for a "modern" usually infers a potential bubble pop down the line at some point (usually after a period of stagnation due to infrequent trades).

jmho

Opinions? >>

This coin will always be very popular among collectors because it is the only ultra high relief coin issued by the US Mint that is affordable by a middle class coin collector. Also, it's gold and quite beautiful. This coin is a winner and I can't ever see a time when this coin won't be extremely popular.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    I am quite happy holding my sealed and raw versions!

Yes, the white box is worth the $1189. That was the low price from the Mint.
  • Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,671 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In 2009 I was 23 and broke. Working my arse off in the factory as I was still the new guy. If I had the funds I would have picked one up. Now I get to look at then when Im at work. I think we have 4 or 5, but no PLs.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Hmmm... I think you are referring to gold coins that used the circulate and were not bullion? >>

sorry to burst your bubble, but all "classic coins," gold or silver, where priced on their bullion value, circulated or not. >>

Exactly. Priced on their bullion value which was in close approximation to what was labeled on the coin. Your "Twenty Dollar" 2009 st. gaudens is a little off the mark.... aka.... bullion.
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think these are very nice coins.

However they are most likely to underperform other gold coins or bullion as/if gold goes higher.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>It's attractive and arguably the best looking throwback design piece issued thus far...but I'm curious...realistically, how much more upside could this piece have for someone who buys one at all the money today?

jmho

Opinions? >>

This coin will always be very popular among collectors because it is the only ultra high relief coin issued by the US Mint that is affordable by a middle class coin collector. Also, it's gold and quite beautiful. This coin is a winner and I can't ever see a time when this coin won't be extremely popular. >>

My topic sentence spoke to whether anyone thinks that buyers at current market levels will have any significant upside potential. Popular coins can still lose value for various reasons. So do you think that these coins are a good buy at current retail and will increase in value, or do you think they've pretty much found their level and won't change much in the near future?

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    My topic sentence spoke to whether anyone thinks that buyers at current market levels will have any significant upside potential. Popular coins can still lose value for various reasons. So do you think that these coins are a good buy at current retail and will increase in value, or do you think they've pretty much found their level and won't change much in the near future?

That may depend entirely upon if one is talking about the finest PCGS70PL with all the label and sticker bells and whistles including slick advertising, or the run of the mill coin in 69 or original packaging, or what? in between. IMO all are as low as they're going to go right about now, further drops in gold won't help any but the culls and even then there's demand as a lowball or pocket piece novelty. On the high end, they're already 5 figures for the best of the best, aren't they?

Which registry sets need this one of a kind (for now image ) coin? that may figure into demand (prices) as well.

• Options

<< <i>My topic sentence spoke to whether anyone thinks that buyers at current market levels will have any significant upside potential. Popular coins can still lose value for various reasons. So do you think that these coins are a good buy at current retail and will increase in value, or do you think they've pretty much found their level and won't change much in the near future?

That may depend entirely upon if one is talking about the finest PCGS70PL with all the label and sticker bells and whistles including slick advertising, or the run of the mill coin in 69 or original packaging, or what? in between. IMO all are as low as they're going to go right about now, further drops in gold won't help any but the culls and even then there's demand as a lowball or pocket piece novelty. On the high end, they're already 5 figures for the best of the best, aren't they?

Which registry sets need this one of a kind (for now image ) coin? that may figure into demand (prices) as well. >>

Culled or damaged is exactly what I want as a pocket piece, but closer to spot, rofl.

• Options
    I don't know about 5 figures; that seems optimistic... looks like 70PL pieces are selling on eBay in the sub-$5000 range.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's happened to these since gold has taken a nosedive?

Have a nice day
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just checked.... The Law Of Supply And Demand IS still in effect!

image >>

whew, what a relief.
  • Options

<< <i>I don't know about 5 figures; that seems optimistic... looks like 70PL pieces are selling on eBay in the sub-$5000 range.[/

Really? You're comparing apples with oranges...the big money is with a First Strike label....And I keep hearing from the coin forum..it's only a gimmick ... I sure love those "gimmicks."

PCGS 70 PL F/S

BIDS UP TO $15,600 with 4 days to go and the reserve has not been met.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I don't know about 5 figures; that seems optimistic... looks like 70PL pieces are selling on eBay in the sub-$5000 range.[/

Really? You're comparing apples with oranges...the big money is with a First Strike label....And I keep hearing from the coin forum..it's only a gimmick ... I sure love those "gimmicks."

PCGS 70 PL F/S

BIDS UP TO $15,600 with 4 days to go and the reserve has not been met. >>

All I have to say to the "lucky winner" (assuming someone cracks the reserve, that is)...is good luck realizing a gain on that piece anytime soon, especially considering that the ONLY difference between that coin and a sub-$5000 coin are two words printed on the label that have nothing to do with condition. That is playing a dangerous game IMO, especially when a 200%+ premium is attached to that label. This goes back to my original point...where's the upside on these? I'm not arguing popularity, I'm not arguing collectibility. I'm arguing upside. (And yes, I fully realize there are some people who don't care if they make a buck on it, so let's not divert the debate in that direction). People might love those "gimmicks" when they make money on them, i.e., the people who "made" FS pieces who got them at issue price. Of course those people will be ardent supporters. I'm wondering if that love would still be as strong if they actually paid end of the road money for one and wanted to liquidate it later for at least some marginal gain.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    Yeah, it's a nice coin and I have one as issued still in the box. It is not like this coin is in the same class as the fractional buffs but it's still a nice coin and very collectible. It would be difficult to pay much more than spot plus a small premium for this coin but, again, it is a nice coin but it is not a rarity or is it even hard to find a good one. Maybe if gold goes to the moon you could do some good just from spot appreciation but if you want to spend this kind of money on a modern issue without much down side I would go for a 69 $10 buff in some top tier plastic. At least you would have a chance of benefitting from the rarity of the buff if you have to let it go someday. JMHO
  • Options

<< <i>Yeah, it's a nice coin and I have one as issued still in the box. It is not like this coin is in the same class as the fractional buffs but it's still a nice coin and very collectible. It would be difficult to pay much more than spot plus a small premium for this coin but, again, it is a nice coin but it is not a rarity or is it even hard to find a good one. Maybe if gold goes to the moon you could do some good just from spot appreciation but if you want to spend this kind of money on a modern issue without much down side I would go for a 69 $10 buff in some top tier plastic. At least you would have a chance of benefitting from the rarity of the buff if you have to let it go someday. JMHO >>

Supply & Demand dictates most prices. Although your $10 buffalo has a substantial lower mintage, the demand for that coin at this time is minimal...I'll stick with the UHR for future appreciation.