Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

5 STAR GEN PROFILE COLLECTION

HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭✭✭
Does anyone know what is going to be in the new 5 Star Generals Profile Collection that is due out on August 5 ?image
" If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater

Comments

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the 5 Star General Profile collection. I am aware of the three 5 Star General set that was issued earlier this year, and already have one. What is the profile set?
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have no idea and as you have probably already notice they don't even show a estimated price and nothing on the site about it I can find.
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There were rumors months ago based on a Mint press release about an "Eisenhower half dollar" but I never heard anything else about it.

Currently, Eisenhower is only on the dollar of the 5-star generals coins.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We have already had the the Eisenhower made for circulation dollar and the 1990 commemorative silver dollar. I do admire him, but I think that he has appeared on enough coins at least for the time being.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    This is all I have so far:

SUMMARY: The United States Mint is announcing a price of $74.95 for the 2013 5-Star Generals
    Profile Collection.

For $74.95 I don't think it's gonna be a Unc $1 and Unc half dollar. (Those would cost just under $78 individually)

Could we see an Eisenhower half dollar? Is that even possible? I mean, there has to be a bill authorizing that...

My guess? A Unc Silver $ in a special case with a blurb about each general.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The new 5-Star Generals Profiles Collection set will contain Uncirculated versions of the silver dollar and copper-nickel clad half dollar from the program, plus a bronze version of the congressional gold medal depicting Gen. Douglas MacArthur.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    Thanks for the info, OPA..

Darn, I was hoping for a new key with the UNC half dollar this year. Sales are half of what the current 2011 Army clad Unc coin were at this time in 2011.

• Options
    edgaredgar Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭
    2013 5-Star Generals Profile Collection (5G8) 3,180 of 50,000 sold as of 11 aug 2013

from MintStats

(l8-)>>

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file