Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2013 Reverse Proof Buffalo

drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭
Looks like the release date is 8/8/13. I'm in for one or two...Who's buying and how many?

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not for me.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Classof67Classof67 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭
    In for 2.
    GREAT BST transactions with Wondercoin, segoja, moderncoinmart, notwilight, wingsrule, 123cents, fivecents, hunted, alohagary, ibzman350, WTCG, sonofagunk, amigo, coincoins, dcgolfer, chumley, nycounsel, tootawl, guitarwes, kimber45ACP, Zubie, Egger, RYK, 1tommy, EagleEye, NEFPROLLC, jmdm1194, Coinfolio
  • Options
    JazzmanJABJazzmanJAB Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm in for one.

Link

This link has a slideshow with pictures of the Reverse Buffalo on slide #3 & 4.
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll try to purchase 1, if the funds permit, have to eat ya know image
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks like the release date is 8/8/13. I'm in for one or two...Who's buying and how many? >>

At least two - will buy one 70FS on FeeBay or from MCM and at least one to keep sealed.

I sold my FS eligible UHRs way too soon. I think that these may do very well in time (as long at the RP is not a regular Buff issue which I REALLY hope is not the case). Time to start saving.

I sure hope that gold keeps dropping!
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    brendanlambrendanlam Posts: 662 ✭✭✭
    so how much we are going to pay for this coin? $1808.88?
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm in for one PCGS graded FS 70 ... needed to keep my perfect record of rev proofs. image
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

<< <i>so how much we are going to pay for this coin? $1808.88? >>

I sure hope not. The Mint's premiums for the Buffs have been absurd (of course, we buy despite this). Ugh.
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    I will probably buy one.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Bully and I will be splitting a case.

Just in......

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭
    Will this be another UHR in terms of demand and future price increase potential ? What are your thoughts?
    References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The Bully and I will be splitting a case.

Just in...... >>

I love my Miles!!! image
  • Options

<< <i>Will this be another UHR in terms of demand and future price increase potential ? What are your thoughts? >>

That is really the key question.

As others have pointed out, the UHR is unique. The multi-year Buff design is not although the RP finish for a Buff is. Will this be the only RP Buff or, like the ASEs will it be the first of many? This is also key. Who knows?

Of course, as others have noted, the RP $50 AGE, while having done well, has not done nearly as well as many (including myself) had expected and there is only one RP AGE.

I really think that it's anyone's guess.

If taken in the context of the RP AGE, the uniqueness of the UHR may really be THE KEY factor and thus lead one to think that the RP Buff will not be another UHR.

I look forward to others' thoughts on this.
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The Bully and I will be splitting a case.

Just in...... >>

I love my Miles!!! image >>

Back at ya, GB!!

Good salient points, Raufus.

As GB knows, 2006 through 2009 were the Mint salad years. It had to end sometime.

The Q is, when will start again? Will it? Is it the RP Buff kick-start? I wait......
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Raufus I think you are dead on. The RP Buff is much more of a "gimmick" than the UHR that was such a wonderful and unique rendition of the original pattern. The RP GAE much the similar piece, but would imagine the Buff will have even a higher mintage.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,209 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Will this be another UHR in terms of demand and future price increase potential ? What are your thoughts? >>

Far from it.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    In for one.
    Who knows regarding demand.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    I'm in for one. It will be the first one, I'm sure its not going to be the only RP Buffalo. If they would limit one per household, and be on sale for four hours we might have a winner.(and a bunch of crybabies)
  • Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭
    I think we can be certain the RP Buff won't be a flop, but I was wrong about the UHR. Thought it was too gimmicky. What do I know...
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who knows regarding demand.

A rambling response -

I wonder if the Mint hasn't become a student of new issue demand over the years, and is now routinely using special issues to spike demand whenever they think it's advantageous to do so. If so, they're following the same pattern of over-issuance that they've done so many other times in the past. This proliferation of special issues is diluting the financial commitment of collectors to the same degree that the proliferation of commemoratives in the 1940s & 1950s, and to the same degree that the proliferatation of fractional bullion x new varieties x new finishes did during 2006-2008.

The impact of special finish proliferation in the ASE series is becoming evident in terms of lower mintages. How that situation resolves itself in terms of demand and price over a reasonable holding period of time is anyone's guess. In ASEs, a mintage of 400,000 used to be tantalizingly low. Now, that mintage is humdrum. There are enough sub-300,000 issues now that none of them will be real "stoppers" for some time to come. In the meantime, it appears that the collector base has "thinned out" for ASEs due to the higher premiums and because of the more difficult economy as well. It might be another 15 years before the current issues take off in price, but they inevitably will. As Eric J has said, the ASEs are the new Morgans, and (paraphrasing) these special finishes are the new "CCs". (Just maybe not in this lifetime.)image

The impact of over-issuance during 2006-2008 resulted in a number of low mintage keys, and I would expect the same phenomenon to take place with the the current stable of special issues. I'm seeing a difference between then and now, however. Back in 2006, there was some enthusiasm for something different, and it took awhile for collector fatigue to set in. At this point in time, I'm seeing mintages dropping in most every precious metal issue - pretty much across the board. I do believe that some new keys are quite possible. The real question is "which issues will be affected the most?" The secondary question hinges on the ultimate popularity of the coin - not every coin has UHR potential, even at much lower mintage levels.

For me, the search entails an assessment of where a particular piece fits into the big picture for the series. A Reverse Proof Gold Buff is several things - a new addition to a collection of Reverse Proofs, a first in the Gold Buff series, a third coin added to the 2 "regular issues" for the year, and it is not an inexpensive coin to add on a whim. The Gold Buff series is here to stay, in my opinion. After a run of 8 years, it's a significant series and it takes some financial persistence to follow it. I think the reward will be there. Just thinking out loud, I wonder if the Regular Proof Gold Buff will be the low mintage coin from 2013, or even the whole series? You just never know. The question is "will anyone really care?" I think that ultimately, someone will - but it might take awhile for the market to feel the same way. For me - everything is long term, so I'm simply willing to wait.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    bestmrbestmr Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭
    Depends on the price but unless silver goes up a lot I don't think I will. If anything, second hand on ebay.
    Positive dealing with oilstates2003, rkfish, Scrapman1077, Weather11am, Guitarwes, Twosides2acoin, Hendrixkat, Sevensteps, CarlWohlforth, DLBack, zug, wildjag, tetradrachm, tydye, NotSure, AgBlox, Seemyauction, Stopmotion, Zubie, Fivecents, Musky1011, Bstat1020, Gsa1fan several times, and Mkman123 LOTS of times
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Depends on the price but unless silver goes up a lot I don't think I will. If anything, second hand on ebay. >>

What does the price of silver have to do with a rev. proof gold buffalo?
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    bestmrbestmr Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭
    If it goes up a decent amount, I'd sell silver and buy gold.
    Positive dealing with oilstates2003, rkfish, Scrapman1077, Weather11am, Guitarwes, Twosides2acoin, Hendrixkat, Sevensteps, CarlWohlforth, DLBack, zug, wildjag, tetradrachm, tydye, NotSure, AgBlox, Seemyauction, Stopmotion, Zubie, Fivecents, Musky1011, Bstat1020, Gsa1fan several times, and Mkman123 LOTS of times
  • Options
    If anybody is looking for regular 2013 Proof Buffalo Goldmart have 2013-W Proof Buffalo PCGS FS back in stock at $1899 which is hard to beat on your own

With all the focus this year on Reverse Proof the regular 2013 Proof Buffalo maybe a winner with it's 20K mintage cap and can even come close to 2008/2012 if most of the blanks will be reserved for "mint on demand" reverse proof version
  • Options
    JazzmanJABJazzmanJAB Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If anybody is looking for regular 2013 Proof Buffalo Goldmart have 2013-W Proof Buffalo PCGS FS back in stock at $1899 which is hard to beat on your own

With all the focus this year on Reverse Proof the regular 2013 Proof Buffalo maybe a winner with it's 20K mintage cap and can even come close to 2008/2012 if most of the blanks will be reserved for "mint on demand" reverse proof version >>

GoldMart shipping options do not work for me too well. Only if I send a check.

See Below for shipping info from site:

Please select payment method.

Payment Method S/H Processing Time
    Bank of America Cash Deposit $15.95 2-4 Banking Days
    Credit Card/Debit Card $72.00* 2-4 Banking Days
    Bank Wire $15.95 2-4 Banking Days
    Certified /Cashier's Check $15.95 7 Banking Days
    Personal Check $15.95 7 Banking Days
    U.S. Postal Money Order $15.95 7 Banking Days
    IRA Call to purchase via IRA

* 2.95% Surcharge Applies

"Lock-In" Your Price

To lock-in your price we require a 5% refundable deposit on your credit or debit card.

The 5% refundable deposit is only a hold, NOT an extra charge.

The 5% refundable deposit will be released after we have received your payment in full.
  • Options
    HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi everyone. I have been reading every day for two years and finally decided to join. My name is Dennis and I am a Silver Addict!
    I got cold feet and cancelled my order for two WP Eagle Sets from the mint when the backorder notice came out, however I have orders in for a PCGS-70 set and a NGC-70 set.
    I think I will only order 70's in the future as I have received too many coins from the mint with spots and scratches. I collect mostly silver proofs but was recently bitten by the gold bug and have purchased a couple of PR-70 proof Buffalos. I will probably get a Reverse Proof in PCGS -70 from MCM.
    I have learned a great deal from these message boards and appreciate all the good information that can be found here. Thanks to all image
    " If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options
    Welcome aboard HATTRICK
  • Options
    coindudeonebaycoindudeonebay Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭
    I think it would be pretty cool if they did fractionals in the reverse proof finish.
  • Options

<< <i>Hi everyone. I have been reading every day for two years and finally decided to join. My name is Dennis and I am a Silver Addict!
    I got cold feet and cancelled my order for two WP Eagle Sets from the mint when the backorder notice came out, however I have orders in for a PCGS-70 set and a NGC-70 set.
    I think I will only order 70's in the future as I have received too many coins from the mint with spots and scratches. I collect mostly silver proofs but was recently bitten by the gold bug and have purchased a couple of PR-70 proof Buffalos. I will probably get a Reverse Proof in PCGS -70 from MCM.
    I have learned a great deal from these message boards and appreciate all the good information that can be found here. Thanks to all image >>

• Options
    Wow, at this rate the RP Buff will be a lot more affordable...
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow, at this rate the RP Buff will be a lot more affordable... >>

Yummy Yummy!!!image
  • Options
    CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭
    Anybody knows how much the Mint will be selling these for? image
    References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
  • Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thinking $ 1,675
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options
    I'm guessing $ 1715.00 - $1735.

I just hope I can afford to get one.
  • Options
    coinguy1989coinguy1989 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭

<< <i>Looks like the release date is 8/8/13. I'm in for one or two...Who's buying and how many? >>

What will the issue price be?
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I will only order 70's in the future as I have received too many coins from the mint with spots and scratches.

Welcome, Hat! I think your strategy is a pretty good one. There are both advantages and disadvantages to ordering directly from the Mint. In either case, the absolute best time to acquire collectable bullion pieces is while they are still available from the Mint, before any scarcity premiums develop.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think it would be pretty cool if they did fractionals in the reverse proof finish. >>

Thats what i'm talking about this will be a good one.... I will back up the truck on this one if they did. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    As I stated before, I like this RP Buffalo and I will be an early buyer for a small quantity on 8/8.

What we have been seeing lately, especially with the "ordering period" format, is large quantities of early orders - and delays in shipping - so much so that your order may not be received in time to allow it to be "first strike" eligible. This is annoying many collectors, changes should be made to allow only a small quantity per hh to be ordered for week #1, then open the floodgates.

Also, the availability of FS MS/PR70 holdered coins by many large sellers at a small margin over issue+grading fees makes a "flip" of many of these recent issues not worth the trouble. Let's face it, 2013-W Buff's in FS PR70DCAM at $1850-$1899 per, 2013-W Eagle $50 in FS MS70 at $1800 per, 2013-W WP sets at $275 per set in FS PR/MS70. There isn't much meat left on the bone there unless you sell big quantities. The FLIP game is over.

I think they will mint this coin (2013 RP Buffalo) in big quantities. Don't look for a 10,000; 20,000; or even 30,000 mintage here. Possibly much higher. I just don't see "UHR" type demand with this coin to "pump" up its value.
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>As I stated before, I like this RP Buffalo and I will be an early buyer for a small quantity on 8/8.

What we have been seeing lately, especially with the "ordering period" format, is large quantities of early orders - and delays in shipping - so much so that your order may not be received in time to allow it to be "first strike" eligible. This is annoying many collectors, changes should be made to allow only a small quantity per hh to be ordered for week #1, then open the floodgates.

Also, the availability of FS MS/PR70 holdered coins by many large sellers at a small margin over issue+grading fees makes a "flip" of many of these recent issues not worth the trouble. Let's face it, 2013-W Buff's in FS PR70DCAM at $1850-$1899 per, 2013-W Eagle $50 in FS MS70 at $1800 per, 2013-W WP sets at $275 per set in FS PR/MS70. There isn't much meat left on the bone there unless you sell big quantities. The FLIP game is over.

I think they will mint this coin (2013 RP Buffalo) in big quantities. Don't look for a 10,000; 20,000; or even 30,000 mintage here. Possibly much higher. I just don't see "UHR" type demand with this coin to "pump" up its value. >>

I totally agree with the above.

I haven't done the FS thing since the ATB's.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file