Home U.S. Coin Forum

1793 Liberty Cap cent found with metal detector (!)

rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭✭✭
Not mine, unfortunately. My eyes bugged out when I saw what this lucky guy dug. I've seen several Chain and Wreath cents come out of the ground, but never a '93 Cap. This coin is actually in presentable shape and has a clear, 4-digit date. This is like winning the numismatic lottery for sure.

Link to great find on treasurenet.com

Comments

• raysrays Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting find, appears genuine. Looks about fine sharpness.
  • AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow! That is easily a $6-7000 coin!
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Might want to soak it in cider for a few days.
  • MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • daOnlyBGdaOnlyBG Posts: 1,060 ✭✭

<< <i>Might want to soak it in cider for a few days. >>

I'd probably down a few pints of cider had that been my find!
    Successful BST transactions with: blu62vette, Shortgapbob, Dolan, valente151, cucamongacoin, ajaan

Interests:
    Pre-Jump Grade Project
    Toned Commemoratives
  • WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    I'd let one of them EAC'er give it some TLC
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

WOW !!!
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has a lot more meat (but rougher surfaces) than one (an S-13) offered to me last Fri for $9k.
    I don't have any references with me, but if Rays says it genuine, that's good enough for me.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow.... amazing.... finds like this are what keep many of us who MD going back....Cheers, RickO
  • SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • rec78rec78 Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow! Someone please email him and tell him not to clean it. He may or may not be a coin collector. That is one coin that will probably remain on my want list forever as they are priced out of my league. Very tough to find a nice one even in the lowest grades.
    Bob
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's awesome, and not one of the reasons coin dealers drink image
  • pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And when it was lost it was just worth a cent.image
  • rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow! Someone please email him and tell him not to clean it. >>

I can picture him soaking it in muriatic acid over night, then waking up to find a blank copper disk that was half as thick as it was the previous day. "The big one that got away." image

I wrecked a couple of metal detector finds in my time, the only notable one being a possible 1909-S Indian that had a cake of corrosion on its surface. The layer of gunk was so thick that the alleged "S" mint mark was just a raised blob. While I was cleaning it with a scraper, the possible mint mark flaked off, never to be seen again. I guess I'll never know if it was a "P" or "S". Oh well, the coin was totally toasted anyway.
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think there a great deal more buried coins than we realize. A deer hunter once told me "They're everwhere. If you could remove all the trees you'd see deer standing and laying everywhere".
  • renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That has got to be like being struck by lightning, twice, in different towns, on the same day. Unbelieveable!
  • crispycrispy Posts: 792 ✭✭✭
    I had the great fortune of unearthing a 1916-D Mercury dime about four years ago. The following year a guy in my metal detecting club also snagged one. Not nearly as cool or rare this fellow's '93 Liberty Capped, but we were both pretty jazzed.
    "to you, a hero is some kind of weird sandwich..."
  • CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That's awesome, and not one of the reasons coin dealers drink image >>

What about champagne!
  • drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭
    That's frigin awesome. I may just have to start a new hobby!
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Point well taken, CRO. Touche' I think a bottle would be appropriate
  • NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amazing find!
  • relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a case for professional conservation. I know many dectorists will soak finds like this in olive oil. Not sure what the long term effects would be from olive oil.
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • so I am the guy that found this coin. Who should I go to to get it conserved ? Once I realized what it was in the field I haven't touched it with anything and it has just been in a case. If anyone would be kind enough to email me about who I should go to I would appreciate it my email is Gary.e.Killmer@gmail.com.
    Thanks much...
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>so I am the guy that found this coin. Who should I go to to get it conserved ? Once I realized what it was in the field I haven't touched it with anything and it has just been in a case. If anyone would be kind enough to email me about who I should go to I would appreciate it my email is Gary.e.Killmer@gmail.com.
    Thanks much... >>

Great find.

• renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>so I am the guy that found this coin. Who should I go to to get it conserved ? Once I realized what it was in the field I haven't touched it with anything and it has just been in a case. If anyone would be kind enough to email me about who I should go to I would appreciate it my email is Gary.e.Killmer@gmail.com.
    Thanks much... >>

Here's the thing, Gary. There will almost surely never be a time in the future when this coin will be worth less than it is today...

...as long as you don't try to clean it. image

• << <i>so I am the guy that found this coin. Who should I go to to get it conserved ? Once I realized what it was in the field I haven't touched it with anything and it has just been in a case. If anyone would be kind enough to email me about who I should go to I would appreciate it my email is Gary.e.Killmer@gmail.com.
    Thanks much... >>

I would conserve it the same way ancient copper coins are conserved - soak it in pure olive oil for 6-12 months (yep, it takes that long), then brush it with a camel hair brush, which is a soft brush and will remove dirt without damaging the patina. Cleaning it any other way, you risk damaging it and reducing the value permanently.
  • dbcoindbcoin Posts: 2,200 ✭✭
    I would conserve it the same way ancient copper coins are conserved - soak it in pure olive oil for 6-12 months (yep, it takes that long), then brush it with a camel hair brush, which is a soft brush and will remove dirt without damaging the patina. Cleaning it any other way, you risk damaging it and reducing the value permanently.

Hmm. sounds risky. Your best bet is to send it in to the PCGS restoration service. Let the pros handle it. Then have them grade it and slab it in the "right" slab. Coins in PCGS slabs get more money than any other grading service.
  • raysrays Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks much... >>

Send it to NCS , they will do what can be done. That coin, if genuine, could be worth several thousand dollars.
  • nagsnags Posts: 789 ✭✭✭✭
    I'd say it depends on what you'd like to do with it. If you wish to sell, I'd talk to some EAC folks to educate yourself on the best way to sell it. Any which way, great find!

• << <i>I would conserve it the same way ancient copper coins are conserved - soak it in pure olive oil for 6-12 months (yep, it takes that long), then brush it with a camel hair brush, which is a soft brush and will remove dirt without damaging the patina. Cleaning it any other way, you risk damaging it and reducing the value permanently.

Hmm. sounds risky. Your best bet is to send it in to the PCGS restoration service. Let the pros handle it. Then have them grade it and slab it in the "right" slab. Coins in PCGS slabs get more money than any other grading service. >>

Why would you think it's risky? Ancient copper has been conserved that way for 100 years.
  • ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I enjoy hearing things like this.

My latest coin find was much more modest. The other day at the local market, I got a 58 D cent in change (looked to be XF 45), which made my day a little bit nicer. I keep hoping an IHC will turn up; something that hasn't happened to me in over 50 years.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • TheRegulatorTheRegulator Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭
    Outstanding find, GKman! Glad to see it made the banner. Congrats! image

My advice would be to leave it alone. Copper is extremely finicky and once you take action, there is NO going back. This is a once in a lifetime find, and it would be a shame to ruin it. I like the way it looks and the copper is probably pretty stable. Most 1793 Liberty Caps have plenty of problems and yours looks much better than most. NCS or other so-called professional conservationists will likely ruin it- sending it back looking like a brassy nightmare. If you really are interested in some type of conservation, I would contact an early copper authority like Tom Reynolds for advice.

Again, congratulations and thanks for posting here.
    The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. -Thomas Jefferson
  • rec78rec78 Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Outstanding find, GKman! Glad to see it made the banner. Congrats! image

My advice would be to leave it alone. Copper is extremely finicky and once you take action, there is NO going back. This is a once in a lifetime find, and it would be a shame to ruin it. I like the way it looks and the copper is probably pretty stable. Most 1793 Liberty Caps have plenty of problems and yours looks much better than most. NCS or other so-called professional conservationists will likely ruin it- sending it back looking like a brassy nightmare. If you really are interested in some type of conservation, I would contact an early copper authority like Tom Reynolds for advice.

Again, congratulations and thanks for posting here. >>

Do not soak it in olive oil either. I have seen some very poor results - probably best to sell it as is-if you are planning to sell it.
    Bob
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations on a banner find!

I've never made the banner. One of my finds made "The Best of Treasurenet" category once, but that was on the old site, before you could nominate finds to the banner, I believe.

Since I'm knocking off some of my rustiness and brushing away the cobwebs from my long unused detector lately, I've been over on TNet a little bit.

One thing's for sure... you can be an accomplished detectorist, but when you see what some other folks post over there, it makes you humble real quick!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • magikbillymagikbilly Posts: 6,780
    Selling it uncleaned might be like selling a OGH with a bean - let the buyer see what he wants/let them take the risks. Your job is done - you found it! image

Eric
  • Hi Folks
    Thanks for the congrats! Wow.. So... since I have found this thing alot of folks have offered me a lot of advice on this coin. Obviously my intent is to sell it for the most money. This would be the first item I have ever found that I sold so I don't want to end up regretting to do so because I let it go for too little. So.. What advice would you have for me? What is a good offer on this coin as is?
    Thanks guys..
    PS ... The week before I found this coin I found a Vermon Auctori in the same field

• << <i>Hi Folks
    Thanks for the congrats! Wow.. So... since I have found this thing alot of folks have offered me a lot of advice on this coin. Obviously my intent is to sell it for the most money. This would be the first item I have ever found that I sold so I don't want to end up regretting to do so because I let it go for too little. So.. What advice would you have for me? What is a good offer on this coin as is?
    Thanks guys..
    PS ... The week before I found this coin I found a Vermon Auctori in the same field >>

First, get it in a slab, PCGS or NGC. Then consign it to a Heritage auction.
  • sniocsusniocsu Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭
    Very very cool
  • Well guys, I put the coin up for auction through Stacks and Bowers. It will be in their September Americana sale in Philadelphia.

It was an emotional experience for me to do this since I have never parted with anything I have found before.

• AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Congrats! image
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • djdilliodondjdilliodon Posts: 1,938 ✭✭

<< <i>Well guys, I put the coin up for auction through Stacks and Bowers. It will be in their September Americana sale in Philadelphia.

It was an emotional experience for me to do this since I have never parted with anything I have found before. >>

Did u have the coin conserved or graded?
  • I did not have it conserved. Whatever grading company S and B sent it to wouldn't grade it. I guess they just authenticated it?
  • dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭
    That is exciting to say the least! Wow!
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck GKman.
    Hope you do well.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• PonyExpress8PonyExpress8 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭
    So very cool. Good luck and I hope you find a lot more cool things along the hunting trail!
    The End of the Line in the West.

Website-Americana Rare Coin Inc
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Metal detectors have changed the face of early coppers. Of course we now have gobs more porous and environmentally damaged coins.
  • I was wondering if any of you have heard of other 1793 Liberty caps being discovered by a detectorist?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file