Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A Stonewall Jackson 1864 Medal

BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had been looking at these pieces at the shows for a year or so. Finding one is not very hard, but many of the pieces that are offered have marks, especially rim problems from what I have seen. I was therefore happy to locate this one in an auction, with the added bonus that it came in what I presume to be the original box.

It looks as if the piece has been stored in this box for a long time. As a result it has a very pleasing layer of toning which makes it look like silver although the piece is made of white medal. It also has very few handling marks, which is an added bonus. I probably paid too much for it, but given that it came with the box and that the state of preservation is well about average, it pleases me.

This piece was commissioned by a southern gentleman, Charles Augustus Lafayette Lamar. Charles Augustus Lafayette Lamar was a colorful character. His general attitude was that a gentleman had the right to do what he pleased even if it was against the law. That philosophy would guide his life.

In 1858 Lamar outfitted a slave ship, the Wanderer, and used it to transport 409 Africans from the African Slave Coast to America. The importation of slaves had been against the law since 1808, but that did not matter to Charles Lamar. He landed them on Jekyll Island and was prepared to put them up for sale. In 1859 Lamer was charged and put on trial. During his trial he challenged one of the witnesses to a duel, and bailed out one of the defendants so that he could attend a party. Lamar was convicted of his crime, was fined $500 and placed on a 30 day house arrest. The trial made national headlines.

Charles Lamar had advocated secession long before it became popular in the South. Therefore it was no surprise when he joined the Confederate Army in 1862 and formed a mounted rife unit, the Lamar Rangers. In 1863 Lamar took some time off from his military duties to represent the State of Georgia in France. While in France Lamar heard about the death of Stonewall Jackson after the Southern icon was wounded by friendly fire at the Battle of Chancellorsville.

Lamar commissioned Parisian medalist, Armand Auguste Caque, to make the dies and have about 1,000 medals stuck. Lamar's plan was to award a medal to each of the officers and men who served in Jackson's "Stonewall Brigade." Caque was the official medalist to the French king, which give this piece a quasi official sanction from the French Government. One of the problems that the Union side faced during the war was the possible recognition of the Confederacy by England and France. This piece would be the only official Confederate States of America medal.

The medals were not ready when Lamar set out for home, and he had to leave without them. They were delivered in 1864, but by then Savannah, Georgia was in Union hands, and they were delivered to Wilmington, North Carolina instead. From there they eventually found their way into a Lamar cotton warehouse where they sat for many years. Charles Lamar was killed at the end of the war in April of 1865. He was the last well known southern gentlemen to die during "The Cause."

The medals were discovered in 1894. At that time it was too late to award them to the members of the Stonewall Brigade. They were donated to the Ladies' Auxiliary of the Confederate Veterans Association, which sold them for $1 each with proceeds used for the benefit of disabled veterans. From there they have become a somewhat popular collector's item, which has begun to receive more attention from the numismatic community.
Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Comments

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool, Bill. An enjoyable read. Congrats on finding an example that you like!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    PonyExpress8PonyExpress8 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭
    Bill, thanks for showing and sharing. This is the sort of post I really enjoy seeing. image
    The End of the Line in the West.

Website-Americana Rare Coin Inc
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thats a nice read, thanks.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice medal and a very enjoyable read! imageimage

BillJones, Is it silvered white metal and is it possible to see a photo of the outer sides of the original issued holder image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    Here is the outside of the box. It does not have any writing on it, but it fits the medal perfectly.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭
    That is very cool! Thanks for sharing. I love looking at medals!!! image
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Terrific piece with gorgeous toning ... and a sweet old case to boot. image
  • Options
    KoveKove Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭✭
    Great post on an interesting medal. I wonder if the case came from France (which would have been much bulkier to ship), or if the Ladies Auxiliary added the case when they were sold.
  • Options
    SUMORADASUMORADA Posts: 4,797

very cool...............image
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool and historic medal. I may have missed it but what size is it? Can I assume it's sterling silver?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neat medal Bill!
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would hesitate to call a slave trader a "gentleman."
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    coin4salecoin4sale Posts: 375 ✭✭✭
    THX. VERY nice medal and presentation.
    '
    as an aside, there's a interesting non fiction book on the sub. The Wanderer, by Eric Calonious. sp? Reads like a novel but full of Civil War history, southern culture and drama!

for example, the Wanderer was actually a 118' luxury private yacht purchased from the NY Yacht club, and retro fitted as a slave ship to covertly smuggle the live contraband, disguised as a pleasure boat!
    BT&C
  • Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great post Bill. I appreciate the history lesson.
  • Options
    DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭

<< <i>very cool...............image >>

Love original diapers!
    “A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great post ... impressive medal and really interesting history. Thanks.. Cheers, RickO
  • Options

<< <i>The Wanderer, by Eric Calonious. sp? Reads like a novel but full of Civil War history, southern culture and drama! >>

"Wanderer" was the way the ship's name was spelled in 100 Greatest American Medals and Tokens and in other sources.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very, very interesting - thanks for posting. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    yellowkidyellowkid Posts: 5,486
    Thanks Bill, quite interesting!
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It holds a great honor of actually being "Confederate". If you close you'd eyes the bust looks a great deal like ol Stonewall image. The case is very nice looks much like photo cases of the era in the covering. Very Nice all aroundimage
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How'd dat happen??
  • Options
    fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very enjoyable read Bill. Very nice original medal. Absolutely love that battle name "White Oak Swamp"!!
    It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    Pretty amazing it survived so well considering how soft white medal is. I thought it was silver too before I read your text. Thanks for sharing.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    As much as I like stuff like this, the fact that they used a Mexican War portrait, and also got his birth year wrong (he was born in 1824), limits my enthusiasm. Not to mention, they list the Wilderness and Cold Harbor battles which took place in 1864, a year after his death. Also, his most significant battle, Chancellorsville is conspicuously absent.

I think there would be a much larger market for these if the portrait were based off his "Chancellorsville portrait" and has the correct dates and battles.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,917 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a sweet medal and great write up Bill! Waiting is often the right approach.

I've been wondering if you should take your collected writings and images and turn them into a book or website imageimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file