Home U.S. Coin Forum

The Official 2 Feather Buffalo 5c thread: Pics and info enclosed

ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭
The 2 Feather Buffalo nickels seem to be gaining popularity these days among more and more collectors. Please feel free to post any date 2 Feather Buffalo or any info you feel is important to the series. Can we do a complete date run? Please post 'em if you have 'em!!

Comments

• LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess I should pull out those Buffs and take a peek.

Another new variety I wasn`t aware of until recently finding these threads on here.
  • ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭
    Ok, I'll start with a toughie. Here's a 1927-S.

<< <i>I guess I should pull out those Buffs and take a peek.

Another new variety I wasn`t aware of until recently finding these threads on here. >>

Do it man!! Nothing like Cherrypicking yourselfimage
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep...have to pull out the stash of buffs and check.... could be some treasure in there...image Cheers, RickO
  • This doesnt have anything to do with the bst thread of your 2 feather does it?? image
    That's a lovely coin. I love the variety.

<< <i>This doesnt have anything to do with the bst thread of your 2 feather does it?? image
    That's a lovely coin. I love the variety. >>

The 2 feather varieties deserve their own thread . Nothing more, nothing less. What bst thread?
  • OnWithTheHuntOnWithTheHunt Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Apologizing in advance for the lousy pics, but can never resist an opportunity to join in a 2-feathers thread.

1913-D Ty 1

1917-S

1929-S

1930-S

Have a bunch more, including 1917, 1918-S 1919, 1919-D, 1920, 1920-S, 1921-S, 1923, 1925-D&S, 1926-D and 1927-S but no pics.
    Proud recipient of the coveted "You Suck Award" (9/3/10).
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭
    Keep'm coming.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,114 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yep...have to pull out the stash of buffs and check.... could be some treasure in there... Cheers, RickO >>

My primary set is at the bank, but I checked my backup album a couple weeks ago after seeing the posts here, and sure enough
    the 27S was a two-feather.....but the coin is only in Fine, so I don't know that it's really worth anything.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some of these have brought extraordinary prices lately. You guys picture some really nice ones here. If anyone wants a value summary of all the Buff 5c abraded die varieties from my book send me a PM.
  • ad4400ad4400 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is one of my two, although it seems you see this date more often than not with the variety:

[URL=http://s119.photobucket.com/user/winstar_album/media/21-s.jpg.html]image[/URL]
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Here is the 2nd of my two. Neither this one or my 21-S are attributed.

imageimage >>

Very nice!

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!

<< <i>

<< <i>Here is the 2nd of my two. Neither this one or my 21-S are attributed.

imageimage >>

Very nice! >>

Sweeeet!!!! Thanks for posting!
    What a coin that 1919 is! Has to be the finest known! You need to get both of those in a PCGS slab.
  • crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice 2 feather Buffs so far!! keep em coming!!!image
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • GManGMan Posts: 790 ✭✭
    My 17-S with the lamination problems.

GMan
  • bigolebigole Posts: 385 ✭✭✭
    Here's my first one, a 1917-S. Just got back the PCGS grade, it came in F15. I sent in last week my other one to PCGS, it's a 1921, I think it's VF20. Really clean neck and missing feather area.
    [URL=http://s1284.photobucket.com/user/rallison7/media/ea6406ee-1711-495e-b93a-4f4ebcb57451_zps8e80b346.jpg.html]image[/URL]
  • coolkarmacoolkarma Posts: 512 ✭✭
    Somehow I missed a week of posts. I have a dormant web site and blog on the Cherry Picker Buffalo Nickel varieties. It includes multiple images as well as discussion of each of the CPG Two Feather varieties that are attributed by PCGS. I recommend you pay it a visit. As enticement, here are the full obverse images of each of the CPG/PCGS Two Feather varieties. The web site includes many more images as well as at least some valuable commentary image

1913-D 2F
    1915 2F
    1916 2F
    1917 2F
    1917-D 2F
    1917-S 2F
    1918 2F
    1918-S 2F
    1919 2F
    1920-S 2F
    1921 2F
    1921-S 2F
    1925-D 2F
    1925-S 2F
    1930-S 2F

Enjoy! And do visit my Buffalo Nickel Variety web site.
  • hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    coolkarma - I went to your site just because I was so impressed with all your photos image

Very nice!
  • nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's one of the two I have.

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

A 17-S a stumbled upon recently:

• An auction win from last night! image

An auction loss from last night! image

<< <i>An auction win from last night! image

image >>

Congrats on the 13-D! Awesome coin.. That 25-S would be the no doubt #1 Finest of all time if it is indeed a 2 Feather! Nice coin!
    Congrats on winning the unattributed 13-D 2F - there was a lot of competition for both of those coins. Rather amazingly, there was another unattributed MS64 1925-S 2F that sold at the Heritage Signature Auction earlier this month. It was graded by NGC. What were the odds? Enjoy!

<< <i>An auction win from last night! image

image >>

• << <i>Congrats on winning the unattributed 13-D 2F - there was a lot of competition for both of those coins. Rather amazingly, there was another unattributed MS64 1925-S 2F that sold at the Heritage Signature Auction earlier this month. It was graded by NGC. What were the odds? Enjoy!

>>

Thanks, Manorcourtman and coolkarma! I was way out bid on that unattributed NGC coin earlier and was the under bidder on this PCGS 25-S, 2F coin. Earlier this year I was the under bidder on a unattributed PCGS MS66, 1913-D, 2F. There are many keen eyes and deep pocketbooks out there searching for these. Unattributed coins, even in NGC holders, will not go unnoticed or cheaply.

<< <i>

<< <i>Congrats on winning the unattributed 13-D 2F - there was a lot of competition for both of those coins. Rather amazingly, there was another unattributed MS64 1925-S 2F that sold at the Heritage Signature Auction earlier this month. It was graded by NGC. What were the odds? Enjoy!

>>

Thanks, Manorcourtman and coolkarma! I was way out bid on that unattributed NGC coin earlier and was the under bidder on this PCGS 25-S, 2F coin. Earlier this year I was the under bidder on a unattributed PCGS MS66, 1913-D, 2F. There are many keen eyes and deep pocketbooks out there searching for these. Unattributed coins, even in NGC holders, will not go unnoticed or cheaply. >>

Almost 6k for the NGC 25-S Buff is strong money!!
  • ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not having a membership in PCGS nor a copy of Mr. Pope's book, apologies for my ignorance in asking this question. While I have read that there are some 30+ date / mintmarks with the Two Feathers variety, I'm trying to get a handle on who recognizes what. With PCGS, I see that their registry set for this variety lists only 15 date / mintmarks, does this mean they don't certify any other dates besides those 15? Also I have read that NGC will not certify any Two Feathers varieties. I am not sure how many date / mintmarks ANACS certifies, but I am trying my luck with them on a 2F Buff I just submitted, and which at least they list in their pop reports.

Almost 6k for the NGC 25-S Buff is strong money!! >>

Have to throw in my 5 cents here. I've been collecting and selling 2-feathers Buffalos for at least 15 years. While the 25-S pictured by manorcourtman is a nice coin, it does appear to show a bit of the 3rd feather, unlike the one posted by koolkarma, where it is completely gone. While Ron Pope's book does recognize some Buffalos such as the 13-D and a few others with a fragment of the feather visible as 2-feathers, personally, I would be extremely hesitant to consider a coin with some portion of the feather visible as a 2-feather, especially when there are other examples of the same date and MM that are completely clear. And even if I could afford 6K, I'd be even more reluctant to pay that kind of money for one like that. Hope for the buyer's sake the photo is misleading, I know from experience that pictures can sometimes exaggerate the strength of the small feather.
    As far as I know, PCGS will recognize a 2F IF it is ALSO listed in the CPG. I list 27 total 2F varieties in my book, broken down into 17 that are TRUE 2F coins-that is, those that show NO trace of the feather, and ten others that do show some small portion. Many of these latter coins are already attributed by PCGS while several of the true 2F are not. I've been in contact with Bill Fivaz and Ken Potter about including these in the next CPG covering the denomination. NGC will attribute none of the variety nor any of the 3 1/2 legged variety-not even the 1936-D

<< <i>As far as I know, PCGS will recognize a 2F IF it is ALSO listed in the CPG. I list 27 total 2F varieties in my book, broken down into 17 that are TRUE 2F coins-that is, those that show NO trace of the feather, and ten others that do show some small portion. Many of these latter coins are already attributed by PCGS while several of the true 2F are not. I've been in contact with Bill Fivaz and Ken Potter about including these in the next CPG covering the denomination. NGC will attribute none of the variety nor any of the 3 1/2 legged variety-not even the 1936-D >>

PCGS sort of recognizes the other 2Fs. For example, I have a 1926-D 2F in a PCGS holder attributed as:

Minor Variety
    PCGS G06
    2 Feather

However, it has the 1926-D PCGS Coin Number preceded by a V instead of a unique Coin Number which a CPG listed 2F would receive. This is similar to the way it treats non-CPG doubled dies and rpm's.

Enjoy!
    FYI: The PCGS 1925-S MS64 has attributed as Two Feather! Note: Not my coin image

Enjoy!

<< <i>image >>

(Edited to provide link)

<< <i>FYI: The PCGS 1925-S MS64 has attributed as Two Feather! Note: Not my coin image

Enjoy!

<< <i>image >>

(Edited to provide link) >>

Awesome coin!! I'll congratulate the new owner!
  • breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 25-S looks like a really nice example, 2feather or not. The weak LIBERTY is very common and similar to my 25-S that is also MS64 (but with the normal 3 feathers). Congratulations to the owner for getting it attributed.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>As far as I know, PCGS will recognize a 2F IF it is ALSO listed in the CPG. I list 27 total 2F varieties in my book, broken down into 17 that are TRUE 2F coins-that is, those that show NO trace of the feather, and ten others that do show some small portion. Many of these latter coins are already attributed by PCGS while several of the true 2F are not. I've been in contact with Bill Fivaz and Ken Potter about including these in the next CPG covering the denomination. NGC will attribute none of the variety nor any of the 3 1/2 legged variety-not even the 1936-D >>

Thanks very much for the info. My hope to have the first one of these in my collection was dashed when mine came back today not certified as a 2F.
  • droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭
    So, what causes these? Filled dies?
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
    Over polishing dies to remove clash marks, similar to what happened with the 37D 3-leg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file