Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

~ Lovett Tokens & Medals 4 The Weekend ~

BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
Post a Token or Medal by die-sinkers John, George, or Robert Jr./Sr.

1852 Henry Clay Memorial Medal, White Metal, 42mm Diameter, Satterlee-126.

The obverse die is the work of Francis N. Mitchell with the reverse cut by George H. Lovett commemorating Clay's death.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Comments

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This "M.Y.O.B." (Mind Your Own Business) Stephen Douglas token by George Lovett told Northern voters to butt out of the slavery issue and leave the South alone. The piece is listed in SD 1860-22 in Dewitt / Sullivan.

imageimage
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Robert Locett was very prolific. One of his more workmanlike creations.
    imageimage
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good stuff, guys!
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    1859 Eleanor Rugg Byrne, Adams/Miller NY-141, 31mm diameter.

One of the rarer tokens by George H. Lovett struck to commemorate the invention of a composition metal used in the manufacture of jewelry.

In 1962 Miller valued this token at $125.00 in Fine condition with no price in UNC.

• Options

<< <i>1859 Eleanor Rugg Byrne, Adams/Miller NY-141, 31mm diameter.

One of the rarer tokens by George H. Lovett struck to commemorate the invention of a composition metal used in the manufacture of jewelry.

In 1962 Miller valued this token at $125.00 in Fine condition with no price in UNC.

image >>

Neat piece, but I take it the composition did not catch on. Google Byrneore and the only thing you get are references to this medal.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

<< <i>Neat piece, but I take it the composition did not catch on. Google Byrneore and the only thing you get are references to this medal. >>

Yeah research wise there's not a lot known about Eleanor Rugg Byrne either.

Although I haven't seen it documented anywhere the overall design looks very much like a token Augustus Sage might have commissioned George Lovett to strike.
  • Options
    Here is a sample of John Lovett's work, and 1860 Lincoln campaign medalet listed as AL 1860-37. The obverse is paired with several other dies. DeWitt noted that this was probably the original die pair.

imageimage

The name "Abram" Lincoln was supposed to have cropped up as a result of an early campaign biography that got his name wrong. The slogans on the reverse summed up Lincooln's 1860 platform.

"Free territory for free people" refers to Lincoln's support for the Homestead Act which passed during his administration. The Homestead Act was not popular with slaveholders because they figured that the homesteaders would be opposed to slavery on economic or moral grounds or both.

"Let Liberty be national & slavery sectional" referred to his pledge not to interfere with slavery where it already existed. The South did not buy it this, however, especially in light of his "house divided" speech in which he said that the country would to be all slave or all free; it could not be divided over the issue. That speech was considered radical for its time and accounted for the secession of the southern states soon after Lincoln won the presidential election.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks BillJones...that is a great token.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    And let's complete the family circle with a couple of Robert Lovett pieces:

AL 1860-51

imageimage

And 1860-51 which has a replacement reverse which probably was the result of having the first one break. The second one has less detail.

imageimage

The phrase "Protection to American industry" referred to the protective tariff which was an issue and position that the Republicans inherited from their Whig political ancestors. The protective tariff would be carved into Republican platforms well into the 1930s.

"Free homes for free men" referred to the Homestead Act proposal which would be passed into law while Lincoln was president.
  • Options
    1850's Robert Lovett Jr. - Die Sinker Store Card, Philadelphia, Miller PA- 334, Copper, 32mm Diameter

Robert Lovett's obverse design on his store card is a very close facsimile of the carved marble statue placed in front of Girard's sarcophagus in 1851.

Although Girard was one of the richest men in America at the time of his death and received a fancy tomb his wife was buried in an unmarked grave.

• Options

<< <i>And let's complete the family circle >>

BillJones we are still missing Robert Lovett, Sr. image

1834 Hard Times Token "Whig Victory" HT-14A / LOW-6, Brass, Rarity-6

Ex. Robert A. Vlack collection & Rulau's Plate Coin

• Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Julian AM-62. Silver, 30 mm. Dies engraved by George H. Lovett

imageimage

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    Although not specifically attributed by Rulau/Fuld in Medallic Portraits of Washington, this is definitely the work of George Hampden Lovett. Sold this last year through PCAC auction. One of only 20 struck.

imageimage

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon

• Options

<< <i>

image >>

That's odd. DeWitt attributes that piece to "Thomas Lovett" as well as this one which is DeWitt CE 1834-2 or Low 7.

imageimage
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    This So-Called Dollar (HK-612a) may also be a Lovett design, although apparently signed as a pseudonym of "L.H.L, N.Y." Not fond of whimsical conjecture, so if anyone knows conclusively what name these initials represent, please share that.

imageimage

• Options

<< <i>That's odd. DeWitt attributes that piece to "Thomas Lovett" >>

Robert Lovett, Sr. was the die-sinker on only two political HTT's, the Wings Victory variety I posted and the AJ variety below.

1833 Andrew Jackson, Small Shield, Low-5A / HT-8, Rarity-6.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

image >>

That's odd. DeWitt attributes that piece to "Thomas Lovett" as well as this one which is DeWitt CE 1834-2 or Low 7.

imageimage >>

Never ever saw one of that bottom one.
  • Options
    Another George H. Lovett creation...

1859 Charles Ira Bushnell - Augustus B. Sage “Numismatic Gallery” Series No.1, Copper, 31mm Diameter.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file