Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1921 Peace $ advice. Conserve? What would you do?

sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
I've shown this before but I don't think I've solicited advise.
I think it would take more than an just acetone bath to get the grunge off.
The pics are unedited and there is luster under there.
I think it's struck as good as most, if not better.
Would it be a good candidate for the conservation service?
How 'bout grade? BIG difference in price from 63 to 65.

imageimage

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

Comments

• Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, that '21 has a killer strike. But it's awfully hard to look at it. It needs something, whether it's conservation or a more attractive replacement.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That type of toning, from my experience, doesn't come off very well. I'd be inclined to leave it as-is. >>

image afraid this might be more a case of environmental damage or one of those leather case toning that are acid based and do not come off evenly.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It can be lightened though, and the luster enhanced through careful conservation, and that's not a bad thing.

peacockcoins

• Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,767 ✭✭✭✭✭
    send it in for conservation
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    daOnlyBGdaOnlyBG Posts: 1,060 ✭✭
    The shoulders are well struck, though the high points on the hair aren't too detailed. I could also see a few marks on the obverse. I wouldn't give this one a 65, but perhaps my grading is a bit conservative in nature. I'd prob give this a 63 CAC, or 64. Of course, such a coin is still awesome in any collection.

I personally don't see the harm in giving it an acetone bath, but I doubt a 3-second bath would help much- you may want to consider leaving it in for a day or two. If you decide the conservation route, as long as it's cost-efficient, you may end up with an incredibly eye-appealing coin, as I could even tell the luster is present from the picture.

I don't see the value in keeping it "as-is," but maybe I'm missing something.
    Successful BST transactions with: blu62vette, Shortgapbob, Dolan, valente151, cucamongacoin, ajaan

Interests:
    Pre-Jump Grade Project
    Toned Commemoratives
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you plan to keep it, I'd enjoy as-is. It has lots of character and I'd be happy to own it. If your plan is to sell it, I'd give it a bath in acetone for a day or two and reassess. If the dark grunge around the portrait comes off, you might have a coin that a dip would bring to life. Yes, there is luster there, but I'd be reluctant to think you'd end up with a gem 21. It's just not very likely. You might end up with a mess, an attractive but un-gradable coin, or maybe a coin that would go in an MS63/4 holder.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    very simple-

Sell it if you don't like it and find one you like.

If you try an enhance this, I really doubt the end result will make you or anyone else happy

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    I think MS-70 would help.
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    The circular lack of grunge on the obverse with the rectangular black grunge inside of it is cause for pause IMHO. Restore it and I bet the circular feature is still there.

Sell. Buy another. My .02
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The NCS or PCGS restoration is worth a try, in my experience the former service will not do anything if they think there is a chance of a problem and they don't like to be second guessed. PCGS knows as much as the alternative about what to work on, with conservation and grading you are looking at $50 or so. A lot of dealers would rather have someone else take the chance on problem material. >>

Is the PCGS quarterly grading special Restoration Service and TrueView or just a TrueView only?

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭

<< <i>very simple-

If you try an enhance this, I really doubt the end result will make you or anyone else happy >>

I agree.
    Becky
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    grunge?

or toning?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    agentjim007agentjim007 Posts: 6,256
    Dilute some jeweluster. Dip it as fast as you can. Place it immediately into a bowl of water with baking soda while holding it and moving the coin giving it a wash. Then under the faucet. Place on a towel and press between folded towel, do not rub only squeeze. Repeat if necessary.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>very simple-

If you try an enhance this, I really doubt the end result will make you or anyone else happy >>

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't mess with it.

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The circular lack of grunge on the obverse with the rectangular black grunge inside of it is cause for pause IMHO. Restore it and I bet the circular feature is still there.

Sell. Buy another. My .02 >>

Yup... 8 o'clock "Milk spot" underneath.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    I actually like the originality of the coin. But the light spot above IN GOD WE TRUST is distracting.
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm more concerned about what looks like a "valley" from the front of Ms. Liberty's nose to her chin. If that is depressed into the coin, don't waste your money. This coin is not worth the conservation fee.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Conserve and sell quickly. I had that kind of black taken off (scuse me.... conserved) and it came back in a few months.
  • Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭
    Keep it as-is. That sort of darker, mottled toning is typical of this one-year type.

Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No offense, but that is a butt ugly coin.... two things... I agree with BillJones..if that is an indent on the obverse, than you just have bullion, second, although it might improve with some acetone soaking, that type of tarnish may represent permanent surface damage. Good luck, Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It can be lightened though, and the luster enhanced through careful conservation, and that's not a bad thing. >>

That's what I was thinking as well.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a tough one!
    I too haven't had any success with the very dark material seen in the periphery.
    And, as others have mentioned, the area in front of the face and the light spot are worrisome.
    Given that this IS a significant key date, I don't think it's ever going to be reduced to spot value, no matter how botched and splotched it gets or is..
    Feeling lucky and adventurous? Then try dipping it yourself...
    Want a little better odds of a decent result- then send it in for "conservation".
    The easy way out might just be to sell it off and pick up a finer example...
    No easy answer on this one.....

If you do attempt any conservation though, please share the results with the forum here. I LOVE these kind of exercises.
    Thanks and good luck!

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file