Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

If you were going to invest in one 1980's case which would it be and why?

I am looking for a case or two to buy and hold for fun and am curious on your thoughts.

I think the 1986 Topps baseball case is a pretty safe bet with some upside.

Also, the 1986 Donruss and 1987 Fleer for the money seem decent.

Been on family vacation this week and have had time to look and have gotten interested.

One thing is certain, 1980s material is, in fact, drying up.
** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **

Comments

• Options
    epatmythesepatmythes Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭
    1988-89 Fleer Basketball

By far, my absolute favorite set from the 80's... and I don't even like and/or really collect basketball

Yes, it's no 1986-87 Fleer (the King of all 80's sets)... and while still not cheap, it's a fraction of the cost of 86-87... it's loaded with star RCs (Pippen, Miller, Stockton, Rodman, Etc) and who doesn't love the Jordan AS card?!?!?!
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Invest or fun? You use both words so which is it?
  • Options
    Yankees001Yankees001 Posts: 1,496
    As far as preparing for the end of the world I recommend 1988 Donruss, they burn great.

On a serious Note I would look at:

1981 Topps: some nice rookies (Off the top of my head could be wrong on a couple) Baines, Gibson, Raines, Henderson 2nd Year

1983 Topps Boggs and Gwynn few other early cards of HOF'ers

1985 Topps ??? Do you have any faith in Clemons and McGwire going back up in value??

1989 Donruss, Fleer or Upper Deck : Rookies Shefield, Griffey, Johnson, Biggio and a few others. Upper Deck 1st.

Those would be on my list.

Dave
  • Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭
    Scotch.
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options
    1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Invest or fun? You use both words so which is it? >>

Both, you can do both.

Well, I sure do.
    ** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
  • Options
    esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭
    I'd probably go with (1) 1983 Topps because I like the design and it has RCs of Gwynn, Boggs and Sandberg, along with a second year card of Ripken, and (2) 1989 Upper Deck low number case because, even though it was massively produced, it arguably changed trading cards more than any product since 1952 Topps.
    Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    1981 Topps

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1985. Solid rookies. I know they used some extra stuff. But I think this set has a relative low PSA 10% . People will come back to this set I think.
  • Options
    For investment: 1980 (maybe one will come up in a decade though); 1983 (good rookie class); 1981-85DR (my personal favorites from the 80s)
    For fun: anything post 1985, you can spill your beer on them with no worries.
    75 Minis - GET IN MY BELLY!
  • Options
    Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    If you're okay venturing outside of baseball - I don't think you can do better (aside from 1986 Fleer Basketball) than with 1989 Score Football. Great looking cards, condition sensitive colored borders, and a huge group of HOF rookie cards. Now they aren't as cheap as others - but if you're looking for investment potential, I feel like this is a very solid choice.

I also love 80s OPC and Leaf products if you want to stick with baseball. Have fun and good luck!
    Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're talking all sports and not just baseball, sure 1986 Basketball would be a great investment, but 1984 OPC hockey can absolutely compete with the previously mentioned 1989 Score Football for HOF rookies. Lots lots lots of OC problems in those 1980's OPC hockey boxes though, which is a downer. If the question was just for baseball, then 1980's OPC.
  • Options
    TheCARDKidTheCARDKid Posts: 1,496
    1981 Topps seems like it could go up a lot. Some good rookies, Fernando, Gibson, Raines. Second year Henderson.

I think people are eventually going to give up in frustration buying 1978, 79 or 80 Topps wax. Getting too expensive or rare. In another 5-7 years, thats going to leave 1981 Topps in a good position.

It seems hard for it to go down in value much.

1983 Topps has also seemed cheap for a long time. Three great rookies, Boggs, Sandberg, Gwynn.
  • Options
    RynoandBoRynoandBo Posts: 393 ✭✭
    I have been on a 1987 kick lately.

1987 Leaf. Very nice return on PSA 10 RC of Maddux, Bo, etc.

1987 Fleer. One of my favorite sets in terms of color and design.
  • Options
    ThoseBackPagesThoseBackPages Posts: 4,871 ✭✭
    1987 Leaf Sealed Case.
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    Where can you get an 87 Leaf case? Boxes on those are around $50 on eBay. My local stores dont have boxes on these either.
  • Options
    ThoseBackPagesThoseBackPages Posts: 4,871 ✭✭
    Great question!
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For baseball, I'd say 1983 Topps, still affordable and 3 HOF RCs.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭

<< <i>For baseball, I'd say 1983 Topps, still affordable and 3 HOF RCs. >>

My brother bought me a box of this from Steve for Christmas.

It's a great box for the money.

Would love to own a case.

• Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have been on a 1987 kick lately.

1987 Leaf. Very nice return on PSA 10 RC of Maddux, Bo, etc.

1987 Fleer. One of my favorite sets in terms of color and design. >>

If you find a PSA 10 1987 Leaf Fisk, I'll pay well for it.
  • Options
    MiniDuffMiniDuff Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭
    Pop 1...

I've cracked 3 cases and didn't realize how hard that card was.
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions