Home U.S. Coin Forum

Should CoinFacts list details-graded coins in their price history?

EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
I was looking up some prices and noticed some auction records reported for details-graded coin. Is it appropriate to list cleaned and problem pieces in the auction records with wholesome coins? Seems to me it will lower the market value.

There is no way to tell other than going to the actual auction to find out that it is a price for a problem piece.

Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:

Comments

• lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    perhaps with an asterick
    LCoopie = Les
  • abitofthisabitofthatabitofthisabitofthat Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭
    I agree that this is a problem. I wish that they could differentiate between straight grade and details at a glance so you get a clearer picture of true auction results without needing to click through to check each record.

merse

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the coin is a rare one they should.

The trouble with details graded coins is that there are no hard and fixed rules about price and preservation. For example there is a very rare Sheldon variety of 1798 cent. The finest one known has EF sharpness, but has a huge scratch in the obverse field. The next one down would grade a stright VG or Fine. What do you call the piece with the big scratch relative to the second finest known piece?
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, just click on the auction link and confirm it's a details grade. I can usually tell by the price on the series' I buy without even checking the auction link.

I see it could be a problem on some coins..........
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, and I think they should be in the pop report somewhere too.
  • CuKevinCuKevin Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭✭
    I would like to see details graded coins marked with an asterisk in the auction records also.
    Choice Numismatics www.ChoiceCoin.com

CN eBay

All of my collection is in a safe deposit box!
  • BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would prefer not listing them but also agree that with sub 50 pop coins it may still be relevant. For the other 99% its just noise.
  • MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,504 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yes, and I think they should be in the pop report somewhere too. >>

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,640 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>There is no way to tell other than going to the actual auction to find out that it is a price for a problem piece. >>

That's the problem. While knowing these values is worthwhile, especially for rare issues or those that are typically not wholesome, I'd prefer that these prices realized either be segregated from those for wholesome coins, or be filterable so that you can turn them on or off.
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm in the NO camp. Pricing is too dependent on why it was coded and too many of the coins end up out of the shell as soon as they sell.
  • RonBRonB Posts: 635 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm in the NO camp. Pricing is too dependent on why it was coded >>> and too many of the coins end up out of the shell as soon as they sell. >>

Agreed. My guess is a majority get cracked out and sold raw. "Old cleaning long ago..."

Would be a mess.

-Ron
    Collector of Classic US Coins
  • DAVEatHLRCDAVEatHLRC Posts: 177 ✭✭

<< <i>I would like to see details graded coins marked with an asterisk in the auction records also. >>

ditto.

Otherwise, they shouldn't be listed at all.
    Please visit Dave Wnuck Numismatics LLC at DaveWcoins.com
  • PonyExpress8PonyExpress8 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭
    Agree with the forming consensus. The details coins in some way need to be differentiated otherwise it takes more time to sort those out and prices may be impacted on the graded ones.
    The End of the Line in the West.

Website-Americana Rare Coin Inc
  • CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think they should be listed at all.

Given the wide variety of coins (and corresponding values) in details holders, I think including those results is much more likely to confuse and mislead than it is to help.
    Listing them gives the collector the opportunity to see what details graded coins have sold for, perhaps providing a range of actual sale prices for each type of problem, and compare the prices to that of non-problem coins.

An informed collector is a better collector.
  • EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My take is that it will more often than not be used to show someone what prices for a certain coin sells at auction without disclosing that the auction date used is for a problem coin.

For example:

"I see you have a coin listed for $3,000, but the two recent auctions on CoinFacts show them selling for only $1000 to $1300" "I'll give you $1200."

or turn it around

"I can only pay $1,200 for that coin you say is worth $3000. Here look at the recent auction prices, $1000 and $1300".

<< <i>My take is that it will more often than not be used to show someone what prices for a certain coin sells at auction without disclosing that the auction date used is for a problem coin.

For example:

"I see you have a coin listed for $3,000, but the two recent auctions on CoinFacts show them selling for only $1000 to $1300" "I'll give you $1200."

or turn it around

"I can only pay $1,200 for that coin you say is worth $3000. Here look at the recent auction prices, $1000 and $1300". >>

Either of those scenarios simply force (i.e. provide an opportunity for) the dealer to educate the potential buyer by showing them the difference in the coins.
  • EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it should be obvious that a listing is for a details-graded coin and that it should be looked at more carefully. Perhaps put an asterisk by details-graded coins, or make the font italicized or red.
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At first it may seem useless but in time could lead to the basis for recognized values on problem coins.
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭
    details need to be separate from non-details.

potential for large price differentials causing confusion.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

<< <i>I think it should be obvious that a listing is for a details-graded coin and that it should be looked at more carefully. Perhaps put an asterisk by details-graded coins, or make the font italicized or red. >>

I agree with you. Details-graded coins should be listed, but they should be clearly marked as such.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file