Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Interesting Steven A. Douglas Civil War Token Storecard in a Global Certification Services Slab

coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
I thought this was pretty neat and wanted to share. It is a CWT Merchant Store Card in a Global Certification Services slab.
I did a search here and saw that Conder101 gave some neat background information on the company back in 2005.

"Global has been around since Nov 2002 and it was covered in the slab book. The website definitely needs updating though.
Neither Jeff Garrett nor Tom Mulvaney are with the company anymore(and haven't been for over a year). The company has recently relocated
to the Philadelphia area (note that they do not give their address anywhere on the website.) and is probably on the way out.
Samples and actually graded coins in Global slabs are actually quite scarce. Mostly what Global produced during their "good times" were
promotional items such as slabs with widows mites, "Thirty pieces of silver", World Trade Center piece that have nothing to do with the WTC etc."

The original link is here

And I just love the narrative on the reverse of the slab. So now I have a great Merchant Card with nice traces of red and a great holderimage

One other side note but not sure if it is reliable........the seller claims that this is one of many(mostly raw) that is from Byron Kanzinger's estate.

Byron past away recreantly and is very well known for "The Civil War Token Collectors Price Guide"

btw......if anyone can give me more information it would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,438 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great pick-up and a really neat slab.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like those photoslabs. Nice CWT!
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought that this might be the piece of interest.

Mr. Upmeyer must have been a great fan of Stephan A. Douglas. Douglas died in June of 1861. Since this piece was probably issued in 1863, and certainly not earlier than June 1861, it was a memorial, not a campaign piece. There is a very rare variation of the this piece with the same bust punch of Douglas with the letters S.A.D. under his neck. This may have been a pun with Douglas' initials and a comment on how Mr. Upmeyer felt about the presidential candidate's death.

Some have speculated that that the Civil War have been prevented or delayed (More to my way of thinking.) if Douglas had won the 1860 presidential election. He certainly didn't have a lot of fans in the South, however. At any rate I think that Douglas probably would not have survived his term had he been elected because he might well have died of cirrhosis of the liver. Douglas was known to have been a very heavy drinker. His replacement would have been Herschel W. Johnson who was Douglas' 1860 running mate. If anyone would like to know more about Mr. Johnson I could cover that in a later post.

This token is not that rare. If you are looking for one in EF or AU, it is not a difficult piece to find.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very interesting.... tokens provide a real view into history...Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is why I love this place. Nice store token Steph & thanks for the info Bill. image
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,514 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thats different for sure.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file