Home Precious Metals

Comments

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,438 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't these normally have a serial number? Never seen one with proof-like surfaces.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have heard from multiple sources that fake one ounce silver bars are being sold in these hard plastic cases, presumably because the cases disguise the true weight.

That doesn't mean that you could not have a genuine bar in a hard plastic case, but it is a major strike against it.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sent him a message that he should check the weight, out of the plastic, before he ships it.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have heard from multiple sources that fake one ounce silver bars are being sold in these hard plastic cases, presumably because the cases disguise the true weight.

That doesn't mean that you could not have a genuine bar in a hard plastic case, but it is a major strike against it. >>

This. Heard similar about the plastic cases. Wouldn't touch these with the pole.
  • Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Don't these normally have a serial number? Never seen one with proof-like surfaces. >>

PerryHall, my thoughts precisely.

I looked at some of his closed auctions. Morgans are not my specialty but some he has sold look wrong.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chinese non silver copies from the website below

Aliexpress
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
    One by one the physical PMs are going on the "do not buy" list.

Will the future of PMs go the way of authentication slabs or will they all have verification scratches in them?

• Options
    C0INB0YC0INB0Y Posts: 627 ✭✭
    Anything that is poured is suspect, IMHO.
    I was ‘COINB0Y' with 4812 posts and ‘Expert Collector’ ranking (Joined in 2006).
  • Options
    CoulportCoulport Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Anything that is poured is suspect, IMHO. >>

These are die struck if anything like the Pan American I inspected. It had to be a copper blank, heavy silver plate and then struck with the strong sharp details it exhibited. That bar weighed 33.1 grams. To check it the edge was filed. Acid indicated good silver because of the heavy plating.
    The most money I made are on coins I haven't sold.

Got quoins?
  • Options
    mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
    What does the future of bars look like? I'm thinking drilled holes in the metal (From the manufacturer), some sort of pattern of drills to show the center of the metal?

Sounds logical.

• Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    Yet another example of the appeal of stacking good old 90% US silver!
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yet another example of the appeal of stacking good old 90% US silver! >>

Yup. And die struck sovereign silver coins are fine too (ASE's, Maples, Libertads, etc.).
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Yet another example of the appeal of stacking good old 90% US silver! >>

Yup. And die struck sovereign silver coins are fine too (ASE's, Maples, Libertads, etc.). >>

Yup. Thank god no one is counterfeiting ASE's.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    vprvpr Posts: 604 ✭✭✭
    After reading this, I made small cuts in my Silvertowne 1 oz that I picked up a while back. Looks legit although it isn't tarnishing even after leaving it on my desk for a couple of weeks. It weights right and the size also appears correct.
    References: Too many to list. PM for details. 100% satisfaction both as buyer and seller. As a seller, I ship promptly and keep buyers updated.
  • Options
    IcollecteverythingIcollecteverything Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Chinese non silver copies from the website below

Aliexpress >>

Looking at that link made me feel sick, a proud crook.

I also looked at the ebayers wares from the OP. His pictures are pretty small but many coins he has sold have the same look of modern fakes. I hope someone can tell for sure and warn others. I would post this on the coin forum so the experts could look but I am having a tough time posting due to storms.

Successful BST deals with mustangt and jesbroken. Now EVERYTHING is for sale.

• Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Looking at that link made me feel sick … >>

Looking at that avatar made me feel dizzy image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE