Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My Aunt is a Nun and she showed me this...Dirty Gold? Grade Posted Page 2

RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have 4 Aunts that are Nuns, 3 on my dads side and 1 on my moms and I recently went to Lunch with 1 of them as she turned 92 years old. During lunch I brought up the subject of having been to the Chicago Coin show in April and she said I have something back at the house for you to look at. Now its always fun when someone says that because you never know what they will have. She pulls out this shoe box and tells me a story of how she got this Gold coin from her Godparents. So she hands me a small box and tells me to open it, as I did I noticed 2 morgan dollars in which I took them out and explained to her that these were not Gold but Silver. She had such a disappointed look and insisted she had a Gold piece. So we look thru the rest of the boxes and no gold coin. I pick up the box that had the 2 morgans and looked inside and saw a piece of cardboard, as I lifted it up I saw the note and this beautiful 1910 D St Gaudens. I am not a gold guy but it was a blast to hold this in my hands. Now the question, pictures are not very good but in hand coin looked good, should I send this off to pcgs for her? I told her its worth anywhere from 1400 to 1800 and that it might be worth getting slabbed. What say you? Enjoy tom

<< <i>image >>

<< <i>image >>

https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.

Comments

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,455 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fun stuff!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    BrolBrol Posts: 266 ✭✭
    Not worth grading for her. She is 92. She will not win anything from grading.
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Nice keepsake - and thanks for sharing the story and image.

I wouldn't bother getting it slabbed. I think your Aunt enjoys
    it just the way it is.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623
    thats pretty cool
  • Options
    sniocsusniocsu Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭
    Very neat. The question is will she enjoy it better like this or locked away in plastic...
  • Options
    NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭
    Tom, that's a (and I don't use this word often at all) sweet story! Definitely not worth sending her in, but why not get a CW slab, one of the mahogany or cherry wood boxes they have, make a nice, personalized label up, and you have a nice keepsake. You can open it, show the coins off, use it a mantle piece or something to that effect.....I think it's nice for 'those' kinds of coins, and I wouldn't have dreamed of doing it prior to this.

I did that for two $5 gold pieces (an Indian and a Lib) that were recently found (last spring), that my buddy's dad's dad bought from TheCoinVault, or HSN, or one of those (one could tell by the packaging, plus invoice stating it would NOT be a specific date....I hate when they do that!). My buddy's granddad hasn't been with us for 6-7 years now, so it was a total surprise these weren't found (family still owns the house...told them to check the bottom of the drapes, as it is a Victorian). But, this brought back those painful memories a bit. Naturally, the coins were cleaned, and not worth sending in, which I was asked to do/consider), but the sentimental value was worth more than gold content, and being harshly cleaned.....

Well, my buddy's dad's b-day was in August, so I ordered the empty slabs and box, I put the set together (it DID look really nice, I must admit), and, well, my buddy's dad got verklempt when that gift was opened, and he's not a guy that gets verklempt easily. It still sits smack dab in the middle of the fireplace mantle, and honestly, it does look good....so, maybe something like that, if you want to do something 'nice' with it, perhaps??? JM3CW

As an aside, TOM, good thing you have sisters-of-the-cloth in your family....you might need all the help you can get, bud!!! image
    I'll come up with something.
  • Options
    PQueuePQueue Posts: 901 ✭✭✭
    Great story 1tommy. I agree it is not worth slabbing.

BTW, it is definitely NOT a NG code "92".
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's already encased. So my guess is it just needs to be graded. I'll guess MS 64+
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be nice mounted in a frame that could show the note also.
  • Options
    Thanks Everyone and I needed to add that at her age she said to me how best to sell? She has held on to the coin for over 30 years and figures now is the time to sell but I wonder about sending it in for her to maximize her profits. Is this kind of coin better sold to someone raw? And even If I bought the coin to hang on to in the Family how much is a fair price? Enjoy tom edit to add Yes Ken Its always good to have Nuns in the Family.........image

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    no reason I can see to have it slabbed,
    you could put it in a flip
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    SUMORADASUMORADA Posts: 4,797

It would be nice mounted in a frame that could show the note also.

• Options
    RonBRonB Posts: 636 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't really tell from the pic how much it has been handled but $1800 for AU-UNC is more than fair.
    I agree that if you wanted to keep it put it in a Coin World holder and keep it in the original box she had.
    Add a small pic of her and you have a wonderful family heirloom.

Great story - Thanks -Ron

Collector of Classic US Coins
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sweet!

If the others say that won't grade, I will defer to that, but if you wanted it in a Genuine holder, there is that.

I like it just like it is, in the keepsake box with the note. If a slab fits into the box and you decide to go for a Gennie holder at the least, go for it. Otherwise it's lovely just like that.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    jnd1955jnd1955 Posts: 939
    That is awsome, coin and the story behind it. love to hear things like that. i feel is more valuble the the sister just the way it is, let her injoy it as the keepsake, she most likely dont care about money anyway. if she is worryed about any more wear, i just put in it a airtight so it would fit back in her box with the card

john
    References

Loe-steelielee-bought 690. sale
    nate-grandrapidian-bought 70. sale
    Paul-commoncents-3500+ sales
    Ken-jfoot-sold-125.00 sale
    Mike-mozeppa-bought 1080. sale
    Dave-Badger-sale 560.00
    Lochness-sale 1,000. 00
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't slab it. If she's going to sell it, sure, grading could help, but this doesn't look like a coin she wants to part with. While it's valuable as gold, it also has a lot of sentimental value. When I inherited a pair of coins that went back to my great grandfather, I wrote up a few sentences with the coins' history and had it put on a custom holder that houses the two coins. The value for me is not in the coins per se, but the story. Here, if you want to move the coin from the box it's in, I'd consider making a holder that can also hold the note. Then, should the coin ever go to anyone else in the family, they will know it's more than just a coin.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    Very cool, keep it in a airtite. Imagine if that was a 1933! Haha
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    I remember Sister Mary Yardstick very well. Who do you think taught me to submit ?
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't understand all the "don't slab it" reply's! Why not??? Looks like a really nice coin.

I would definitely slab it and keep the note with it.image
  • Options
    daOnlyBGdaOnlyBG Posts: 1,060 ✭✭
    I agree with the consensus; to her, that coin is probably worth more unslabbed. She has no reason to sell it, I don't think, and it has more meaning as a single raw gold coin (something she can hold in her hand as a souvenir) rather than something encapsulated in plastic, meant for collecting or trading.
    Successful BST transactions with: blu62vette, Shortgapbob, Dolan, valente151, cucamongacoin, ajaan

Interests:
    Pre-Jump Grade Project
    Toned Commemoratives
  • Options

<< <i>I don't understand all the "don't slab it" reply's! Why not??? Looks like a really nice coin.

I would definitely slab it and keep the note with it.image >>

I think if I can get one more person to say 1800 is a fair price than I will offer her that. Since I am the keeper of the coins in the family and with its past which I will find out more and document, It would be a good item to hang onto and I would submit and keep the note with it. This Aunt was staying and helping out the family when dad passed, her brother and we had some rocky moments taking care of pops and in the end we became friends. twosides2acoin this comment I remember Sister Mary Yardstick very well. Who do you think taught me to submit ? ( This is Truly funny if you went to a Catholic School and my knuckles still hurt) Enjoy tom

Link to My Registry Set.

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have no history of Catholicism in my family, so (don't laugh) for a second it was kind of hard to get my head around nuns being people with families and also being aunts. image

Sad to say, about all of exposure to nuns (at least in recent memory) has been on the PBS series Call The Midwife, which does humanize them a bit.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

<< <i>It would be nice mounted in a frame that could show the note also.

image >>

Yes, the note included really gives it that 'family heirloom' feel to it, IMO (makes you want to delve a little deeper into the family, too, given the sister's ages). I was considering how to mount that for display, but realized that it might be a job for (fill in the member's name HERE that makes those custom holders so many of Though, what I find odd is this newly discovered heirloom (and that's exactly what it is, and WHAT a NICE heirloom!) was a gift to the Sister in 1981, so, I'm guessing it was purchased at the height of when these were at their highest. Though, not having been around in '81, I don't exactly know what this coin would have been worth at that time. Grading was very very different (no numbers, just general grouping in certain condition, then BU, Select BU then 'Premium Quality BU...no numbers Sound (still 5 years from real TPG's as a 'guarantor' and are the main reason those same coins in '81 could have been worth/valued at a lot more)... just a lot of variables, and I have a feeling that, IF they actually purchased it at that time, even $1,800 may still be less than original price (I know you are looking to buy it...that's my next coin for my 'Box o' 20'). I know that point is moot, just that curiosity thing, Tom.

But, yeah, I feel $1,800 would be an honorable price...remember, you're buying it from someone that has an 'in' that could have you struck by lightning in the middle of a sunny, dry day...lol image , so, you GOTTA do right...lol Not that you wouldn't......it's family first, anyway, so it's a no-brainer. And anyway, you know I know, as well as most all others here, that you would NEVER take advantage of [rip, stiff, however one may put it] ANYONE, buyer OR seller, family/friend, OR a totally first-timer with you. You are an honorable, honest person to deal with....I don't think you even have 'rip' in your dictionary......UNLESS it's for an unattributed new top-pop Washie variety on Heritage, L&C (but they are good at ID'ing varieties, normally) or some other non-ebay auction/non-auction venues, like those times you find a new top-pop, or tied for finest....but your crossovers, man, talk about a kick in the groin.... then there was that one time, at bandcamp, with the lone PF68 Washie, then there were 2, not ONE...LOL

You know I'm just kidding, but, in all seriousness, That's a generous offer. But I have a serious question....if she sells the coin to you (or for that matter, any nun/priest selling anything else, any other 'heirloom' item, anything....just a 'regular Joe' family member buying it, does that $$ go to the church, or does/will she be able to keep the $$. Not getting into a religious rant (never will, nor politics), but I thought family threw the order cash, and if this would fall under a rule where she had to 'cough it up', or she get to hang onto it? Or is it NOMOFB???
  • Options
    When a Nun retires they do not get paid like the priests do, now she stays in a house with other retired nuns and still devotes alot of time to the community. No idea where the money would go or what it would be used for as we didn't talk about that and I just want to make sure I do right. Like you said Ken its about tracing the coin back to her Godparents and who were they and did they collect? Will find out more at our next lunch and again thanks for all the advice...........Enjoy tom

Link to My Registry Set.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice keepsake - and thanks for sharing the story and image.

I wouldn't bother getting it slabbed. I think your Aunt enjoys
    it just the way it is. >>

image its all good image
  • Options
    daOnlyBGdaOnlyBG Posts: 1,060 ✭✭

<< <i>I have no history of Catholicism in my family, so (don't laugh) for a second it was kind of hard to get my head around nuns being people with families and also being aunts. >>

For many Catholics (myself included), we'd feel the same way. image
    Successful BST transactions with: blu62vette, Shortgapbob, Dolan, valente151, cucamongacoin, ajaan

Interests:
    Pre-Jump Grade Project
    Toned Commemoratives
  • Options
    chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭
    I was taught by nuns.I was very small for my age and they taught me self confidence and to speak up when I felt wronged.In the 7th grade I switched to public school at 4foot 10 inches but with the mouth of a 7 footer.....image
  • Options
    Yes, I was taught by nuns, along with Redemptorist, and Jesuit priests, deacons, and brothers, Tommy. The discipline in private schools may sound harsh, but as those of us who have ever been through it know, it's a good thing. image ( Sisters of Mercy)

As to the coin, I think $1800 is "iffy" considering the coin is not graded. Then again, sentimental value is priceless.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks Everyone and I needed to add that at her age she said to me how best to sell? She has held on to the coin for over 30 years and figures now is the time to sell but I wonder about sending it in for her to maximize her profits. Is this kind of coin better sold to someone raw? And even If I bought the coin to hang on to in the Family how much is a fair price? Enjoy tom edit to add Yes Ken Its always good to have Nuns in the Family.........image >>

If she really wants to sell it then skip all the sentimental advice and have it slabbed.
    Lance.
  • Options
    Well I had a few coins going in and decided to send this one in. Would have to say most were right in not slabbing, and its another lesson. But I am keeping the coin in my collection with the note and I ended up giving her 1700 and will eat the grading fees. AU 58 Thanks everyone.I think in hand this coin shows more luster than the photo. Enjoy image

<< <i>image >>

Link to My Registry Set.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice family heirloom.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1tommy---Did they say why they wouldn't slab it? I'm guessing it's because of the encrustation on the obverse. I'm surprised they didn't call you to discuss possibly conserving this coin.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    I liked it in the original case. ( we called that a habit in my younger days)
  • Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>1tommy---Did they say why they wouldn't slab it? I'm guessing it's because of the encrustation on the obverse. I'm surprised they didn't call you to discuss possibly conserving this coin. >>

Perry - my understanding is it did slab as an AU58, I think Tommy's reference to "not slabbing" was that it wasn't worth the cost of slabbing it.
  • Options

<< <i>1tommy---Did they say why they wouldn't slab it? I'm guessing it's because of the encrustation on the obverse. I'm surprised they didn't call you to discuss possibly conserving this coin. >>

I know, through my many PM's with Tom that it DID slab as AU58. He just recently got the grades, though I am not 100% certain it is in his hands, but it's close to 'being home' (Tom, and Cris [casman] have been a big help to me recently, after my buddy got killed by a drunk driver...definitely had a 'mental Chernobyl'...very grateful to both of you!). He was disappointed with the grade, but it's worth more than a 'grade' to Tom.
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    Very cool coin. I really like the original look of it. Plus it has a family history.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭
    Cool story to go along with a nice piece of gold.image

Mike
  • Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is nothing wrong with an AU58 double eagle. The slab verifies the authenticity. As others have mentioned, great family heirloom.
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭

<< <i>There is nothing wrong with an AU58 double eagle. The slab verifies the authenticity. As others have mentioned, great family heirloom. >>

+1. image
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file