Home Precious Metals
Options

Yeah, but how confident do you personal feel?

tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
It may have been easier to understand and believe the value of gold and silver; when it was up, and how it retains its value and buying power, etc.
We have all heard the story how an ounce of silver bought so much gas back in the old days and how much it can still buy now..

But its hard to feel %100 confident now since the PM price is down drastically, after a broken back of a previous 10-year climb. It's buying less gas now then a year ago.

Lots of charts, potential, theories... How do you personal feel?
COA

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel that the more they compress the spring the higher it will release.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    I have a stack of gold and silver.
    I continue to stack.
    I also read daily all the financial stuff...NY Times and WSJ.
    The consensus seems to be that the bull markets in PM is over.
    I believe that easily could be true.
    I thus look upon my stack as diversification but have moved larger amounts of cash into equities over the last few years.
    Don't fight momentum. Don't fight the Fed.
    JMHO.
    Best.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Am about to expand the business with ( can't tell you yet! ) something really cool.

Confident enough. But then again metals make up a very small percentage of my portfolio and so tiny in my business it's not even worth mentioning.

• Options
    mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
    I feel... That I want more image
  • Options
    TheRegulatorTheRegulator Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭
    Personally, I feel more confident in gold and silver now than I did two years ago. Two years ago, things seemed to be getting out of hand and I stopped buying. Now that prices have come back down, I have more confidence and feel better buying.
    The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. -Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    AmigoAmigo Posts: 966

I was in Sam's club looking at watermellon prices today. What apears to be i guess a 5 lb melon is 4.96, roughly a buck a pound. 30 yrs ago melons were 5 cents a lb. A regular size candybar cost .99 cents now, 30 yrs ago they were 10 cents, 40 yrs ago 5 cents.
    Inflation of so many things other than just gas, makes no sense that silver should be 23/oz. Real inflation over the last few yrs have been high. .

The way I see it, back in 2007 with the housing crash, the Feds should've allowed high inflation to bail out the real estate market, wages would have eventually caught up. After several yrs the Country would've been on solid footing. Instead IMHO they're tracking the japanese recovery which will take decades to clean the mess with the route they've chosen of low interest/high debt. In the end, instead of high inflation, we will end up with hyperinflation.

The long and short of it is
    I will remain diversified in precious metals over the long haul
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Personally, I feel more confident in gold and silver now than I did two years ago. Two years ago, things seemed to be getting out of hand and I stopped buying. Now that prices have come back down, I have more confidence and feel better buying. >>

Ditto
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    I still think gold is overpriced and silver is a bargain. I purchased another 40 oz of silver last week, and I'm thinking about buy another 40 this week.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am completely confident in my PM investment...... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Happy as a pig in a peach orchard
  • Options
    If you want a little silver cheap and have an iPad search the BST for John Maben's (one word no S) thread for a free oz of silver if you download his new app and place at least a $99 order on your iPad. If you want a 100 oz bar an extra oz isn't that big of a deal. I bought 3 Kookaburra for $101 plus a free oz is $25.25 oz free shipping and 3 are premium oz's. you have until Friday.

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still have 20+ years to go, the only thing I'm not confident about is being able to control myself and not dump more cash into metal right now than I usually budget. $3500 worth of plumber and tree service money out this week will help keep that in check though - firing that powder at those projects.

Slow and steady.
  • Options
    KUCHKUCH Posts: 1,186
    "How confident do you personally feel?"

Nice choice of words, as I believe the final leg UP in gold/silver will happen when confidence is lost in the dollar and/or equities. There are 2 basic courses of action:
    1) Buy and hold long term
    2) Buy and sell short term

If you buy and hold long term, one doesn't get nervous. One doesn't check prices daily. Gold and Silver are used as a long term HEDGE against confidence. Period.
    If one gets nervous, you should take profits along the way to atleast get your return on investment.

Pretty simple to me. image
  • Options
    BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭
    Waiting/hoping for it to get under $1300. Ben announced today that the QE will continue so there is a chance it may start inching back up. If it starts back to around 1400 I'll buy some more but chancing for sub 1300

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • Options
    OperationButterOperationButter Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    I hope they take it below 1k. Would make my year image
    Gold is for savings. Fiat is for transactions.

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"How confident do you personally feel?"

Nice choice of words, as I believe the final leg UP in gold/silver will happen when confidence is lost in the dollar and/or equities. There are 2 basic courses of action:
    1) Buy and hold long term
    2) Buy and sell short term

If you buy and hold long term, one doesn't get nervous. One doesn't check prices daily. Gold and Silver are used as a long term HEDGE against confidence. Period.
    If one gets nervous, you should take profits along the way to atleast get your return on investment.

Pretty simple to me. image >>

Gee, that's the same advise my stock broker gave me about the stock market 45+ years ago. With several exceptions, take profits on frothy investments, don't try to catch a falling knife or time a market bottom. Invest in dividend paying stocks...buy low & sell at a profit or just wait it out by doing nothing.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    that's the same advise my stock broker gave me about the stock market 45+ years ago

In 1974, when I bought my first stock, my broker told me "don't try to be a hero".

I was insulted.image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    waynemewayneme Posts: 852
    god are we old
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel pretty good with precious metals at about 9% of investment assets currently.

I would not feel good at all if it were at one of the extremes near 0% or 100%.

If market circumstances took them significantly lower or higher than where they are now, I'd buy or sell to rebalance

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry