Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Strange find in the change, 2005 P reddish brown...dime?

I'm sure it's nothing, but wanted to make sure with my coin friends over here!

thanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,390 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Corrosion/rust. Probably spent some time in a sewer.

peacockcoins

• Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    Thanks, so much for my early retirement image
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,762 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks like the coin I saw in a urinal recently.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Better was your hands SOON!image

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,020 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sewer ? Urinal ? Ewwwwww !
  • Options
    themasterthemaster Posts: 676 ✭✭✭
    Metal detector find.

Have a Great Day!
    Louis
    "If you would know the value of money, go and try to borrow some." Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
    I believe this is what a dime looks like after it has been swallowed and um... passed. image
  • Options

<< <i>Metal detector find.

Have a Great Day!
    Louis >>

This.

I've found lots of them over the years with my detector and put them back in circulation.
    I live in my own world. But it's OK, they know me there.
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭

Have a Great Day!
    Louis >>

Earth toned...
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    errormavenerrormaven Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭
    Usually when dimes turn brown due to harsh environmental conditions, the surface is quite dull, even rough. Here the surface is in pretty good shape. There's a good possibility that this dime was struck on an improperly annealed planchet. I have encountered a few dimes over the years with a uniform brown surface in association with original mint luster.
    Mike Diamond is an error coin writer and researcher. Views expressed here do not necessarily reflect those held by any organization I am a member of.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure looks like an MD find... or at least a parking lot find.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find lots like that in cent rolls - bonus!
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just a run-in with the elements.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    I'm in the md find camp also.

Get someone to do some wizzing around the devices and call it a super rare AT cameo.
  • Options
    kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Usually when dimes turn brown due to harsh environmental conditions, the surface is quite dull, even rough. Here the surface is in pretty good shape. There's a good possibility that this dime was struck on an improperly annealed planchet. I have encountered a few dimes over the years with a uniform brown surface in association with original mint luster. >>

When I turn in my found dimes from detecting I often wire brush or "whiz" them to get some of the dirt off- they look just like this one, have found 100's that look like this.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Copper-nickel turns black or dark brown when it corrodes. That what has happened here.

A lot of intermediate and beginning collectors don't realize this. When you see a Shield, Liberty, Buffalo or Jefferson nickel that his turned this color "Run Forest RUN!"
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    errormavenerrormaven Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭
    Here's a brown, uncirculated 2000-D dime that still retains much of its original mint luster. I suspect it was struck on an improperly annealed planchet, but it could represent another form of planchet discoloration. In any event, the odd color is mint-derived.

[URL=http://s196.photobucket.com/user/errormaven/media/brown_dime_2000D_obv.jpg.html]image[/URL]
    [URL=http://s196.photobucket.com/user/errormaven/media/brown_dime_2000D_rev.jpg.html]image[/URL]
    Mike Diamond is an error coin writer and researcher. Views expressed here do not necessarily reflect those held by any organization I am a member of.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,475 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have noted my IAP small gold dollars are streaky.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have a Great Day!
    Louis >>

that what it looks like from here.. jmo.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file