Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Websites selling counterfeit PCGS holders

DonWillisDonWillis Posts: 961 ✭✭✭
The NFL recently had over 1500 websites shut down. These sites were selling counterfeit NFL material. Most of these sites were not in the US but the NFL was successful in blocking the URLs. (There was a big story about this in USA Today a couple weeks ago.)

PCGS is looking into the same thing. I don't know if we'll be successful but it's worth a try.

So we are asking for all your help. If you know of any websites that are selling counterfeit PCGS holders please post them to this thread.

I'll let everyone know what happens.

Thanks.

Don

Comments

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice! Your lawyers will most likely have to contact the NFL lawyers to find the quickest route. Success can be had!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    daOnlyBGdaOnlyBG Posts: 1,060 ✭✭
    Here's a start, Mr. Willis: fake CC Morgan.

Edited to add: the website doesn't exclusively sell fake PCGS slabs- I think it's a venue for selling a variety of stuff. However, if your intentions are to eventually take legal action against people faking your product, you might want to check out the link above.
    Successful BST transactions with: blu62vette, Shortgapbob, Dolan, valente151, cucamongacoin, ajaan

Interests:
    Pre-Jump Grade Project
    Toned Commemoratives
  • Options
    UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's great news, I hope it works out!
    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great, now go get em and get em goodimage

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know PCGS is powerful and so are attorneys but how does one shut down a website in China?
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I know PCGS is powerful and so are attorneys but how does one shut down a website in China? >>

Maybe by being a licensed company in China....image
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stick this to the top for a while
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I for one would check a box on my PCGS submissions and kick in a dollar to combat these kinds of scams. Just an idea. Most people wouldn't though...
  • Options
    Alibaba.com as well as their offshoot aliexpress
    Look up pcgs in the search function
    It's individual sellers who post them, in the past they've been taken off with complaints. However with company pressure they may ban it all together.
    A number of years ago you had the fake slabs banned off trade key,hopefully you can do it again.
    Best of luck hope you get them pulled, we really need it to preserve the integrity of this hobby.
    Looking forward to learning more about coins from fellow well respected numismatists
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS Store?

"The identity of this free member has been authenticated. However, their store name has not been verified yet."

Cat out of the bag:

"Welcome to my shop!I only sell replica coins for collections, none of the coins I sell are original. Please don't buy them as the original coins. I sell these copied coins only want to make your collections more perfect. About shipping: It takes about 20 to 30 days to carry to American, and 25 to 35 days to European and other countries. Hope you could wait for your items patiently. I will mail the coins to you in 10 business days after pay them, In order to receive them as soon as possible, please pay them as quickly as possible. Thank you, by the way you could contact me if you need EMS, Best wishes! Thanks!"
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good news, good luck !!! image
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    Would it be better to PM the sites instead? I just worrie about people who lurk here who sell fakes or look for ways to spot there fakes and make changes to the fakes. It would give them all the access to fakes they need if we post all the sites!!!!
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>PCGS Store?

"The identity of this free member has been authenticated. However, their store name has not been verified yet."

Cat out of the bag:

"Welcome to my shop!I only sell replica coins for collections, none of the coins I sell are original. Please don't buy them as the original coins. I sell these copied coins only want to make your collections more perfect. About shipping: It takes about 20 to 30 days to carry to American, and 25 to 35 days to European and other countries. Hope you could wait for your items patiently. I will mail the coins to you in 10 business days after pay them, In order to receive them as soon as possible, please pay them as quickly as possible. Thank you, by the way you could contact me if you need EMS, Best wishes! Thanks!" >>

OMG image

reminds me of one time I was at the swap meet and this little guy was selling fake plants, and I said to the Old Lady
    "hey honey, look fake plants" and the guy runs over to us and is yelling "noh noh, they not fake they ottofishul"image
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    littlebearlittlebear Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭✭
    Best wishes for the success of this program!!! It will indeed be beneficial to saving the hobby.

Larry L.

Autism Awareness: There is no limit to the good you can do, if you don't care who gets the credit.
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I applaude this effort and will support it in any way I canimage
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options

<< <i>I know PCGS is powerful and so are attorneys but how does one shut down a website in China? >>

I believe the government (ICE) can seize the domain name from sites in China or elsewhere that are engaged in selling counterfeit goods among other things. The frustrating part is that when you shut down one- two others pop up. But you have to start somewhere and happy to hear PCGS will do just that. Best of luck.

• Options
    CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭
    I hope PCGS is able to get them shut down.......good luck

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

• Options
    CuKevinCuKevin Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I believe the government (ICE) can seize the domain name from sites in China or elsewhere that are engaged in selling counterfeit goods among other things. The frustrating part is that when you shut down one- two others pop up. But you have to start somewhere and happy to hear PCGS will do just that. Best of luck. >>

I believe the US government can also block the websites from being viewable here in the US. Similar to what was done in the NFL case I believe.
    Choice Numismatics www.ChoiceCoin.com

CN eBay

All of my collection is in a safe deposit box!
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This doesn't bode well for the hobby.
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it is possible and i've seen many domains/businesses end up like this, online at least

i personally would like to see the OP updated with the list of sites provided to maximize our efforts and save time searching/reporting ones already listed.

i'll go ahead and make a list in my post in case the OP isn't updated with them.

i have taken screenshots of these sites with the domain visible with counterfeit pcgs holders in the screenshots or at the very least, counterfeit coins, including but not limited to coins of the usa. federal and pre-federal.

1. http://www.aliexpress.com
    2. http://www.dhgate.com
    3. http://www.beltal.com
    4. http://www.alibaba.com
    5. http://www.ioffer.com
    6. [l=][/l]
    7. [l=][/l]

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The NFL recently had over 1500 websites shut down. These sites were selling counterfeit NFL material. Most of these sites were not in the US but the NFL was successful in blocking the URLs. (There was a big story about this in USA Today a couple weeks ago.)

PCGS is looking into the same thing. I don't know if we'll be successful but it's worth a try.

So we are asking for all your help. If you know of any websites that are selling counterfeit PCGS holders please post them to this thread.

I'll let everyone know what happens.

Thanks.

Don >>

Good luck, unfortunately trademark violation and sharing "content" without paying is seen as a much bigger crime than counterfeiting money, thanks to
    pushes from the movie, record and software industries. So I believe that charges of trademark violation are the best way to fight the fake PCGS holder problem.
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I strongly suggest not pasting the full, functional links here. In doing so, Google's PageRank algorithm will bump up the copy websites and get them more traffic as it would see this domain linking into them.
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    JcarneyJcarney Posts: 3,154
    Is this fake enough?

Fake Saint
    “When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.” — Benjamin Franklin

My icon IS my coin. It is a gem 1949 FBL Franklin.
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Is this fake enough?

Fake Saint >>

"Welcome to my shop!I only sell replica coins for collections, none of the coins I sell are original. Please don't buy them as the original coins. I sell these copied coins only want to make your collections more perfect. About shipping: It takes about 20 to 30 days to carry to American, and 25 to 35 days to European and other countries. Hope you could wait for your items patiently. I will mail the coins to you in 10 business days after pay them, In order to receive them as soon as possible, please pay them as quickly as possible. Thank you, by the way you could contact me if you need EMS, Best wishes! Thanks!"
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is one that was mentioned by LanceNewman, but it's located in HongKong

Counterfeit PCGS slabs with coins

If you click on the individual slabs, it will identify the different sellers...all on Mainland China
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

<< <i>

Fake Saint >>

"Welcome to my shop!I only sell replica coins for collections, none of the coins I sell are original. Please don't buy them as the original coins. I sell these copied coins only want to make your collections more perfect. About shipping: It takes about 20 to 30 days to carry to American, and 25 to 35 days to European and other countries. Hope you could wait for your items patiently. I will mail the coins to you in 10 business days after pay them, In order to receive them as soon as possible, please pay them as quickly as possible. Thank you, by the way you could contact me if you need EMS, Best wishes! Thanks!" >>

Yeah. For real. This makes me frikken sick. The Chinese, INCAPABLE of producing anything original, continue to copy, steal and hijack all products American. Yet they remain a "favored trading partner". Unbelievable.
    “When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.” — Benjamin Franklin

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best of luck in shutting the sites down. image
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go get em!!!!!image

Shut those suckers down!!!!

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I strongly suggest not pasting the full, functional links here. In doing so, Google's PageRank algorithm will bump up the copy websites and get them more traffic as it would see this domain linking into them. >>

I second that. This site is heavily trolled for info.
    Have a nice day
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great idea! Give 'em Heck!
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    daOnlyBGdaOnlyBG Posts: 1,060 ✭✭
    I thought about this a bit more on the train home...

Perhaps it would be wiser not to "block them" from our domain, but rather, keep a closer eye on them? If we were to take down their sites, or prevent them from selling on those listed websites, who knows- they could go elsewhere (maybe even offline!) and sell their fakes there. In the end, there would be even greater uncertainty to many people- whether it's here or overseas (where, from what I understand, PCGS would like to branch out). Perhaps someone from PCGS could consider reaching out to them, and consolidating them under one vendor, so the general market realizes what's fake and what isn't?

I don't mean to sound apologetic to the counterfeiters- I'd hate to get screwed over myself. My only question is whether or not simply "deleting them" from our daily view will really solve such a problem. Now, if PCGS, Congress, or someone else had a tight legal procedure to sue such forgers, that would be ideal, but what about those 3 guys who work all day in some weird flat in some huge city making these slabs? It's not always easy to track them down. Or maybe it is...?
    Successful BST transactions with: blu62vette, Shortgapbob, Dolan, valente151, cucamongacoin, ajaan

Interests:
    Pre-Jump Grade Project
    Toned Commemoratives
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fry'em.

MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    This is a good idea. I'll assist as much as I can.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    Collectors and hobbyist need to educate each other on how to spot fakes.I recently bought a dime on ebay.I Thought it was a uniface but Fred was right the weight was off.Upon further examination it was apparent the dime had been "dremeled".Lol! Its embarassing but I learned from this fake.

Their is a lot of compiled knowledge here.Start a thread to post your fakes and the story that goes with it proudly.

A expensive "graded" fake coin was sold at auction the other day.That means they got one buy the best.
    Mark Anderson
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

The owner of that site is probably enjoying the giant jump in traffic.

I hope it doesn't get to the point where we have to buy a raw coin just to make sure we are not getting a counterfeit.

ICG holders are not being faked! Maybe their prices will start to rise. image
  • Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hate to say this but it will not work you shut 5 website down, 30 more pop up that can get very pricy and in this world unless you take things way beyond what is expected people will target you

lawyers and such nice touch to a major issue but very ineffective as these people care little for law or anything else, my advice is to hit them where it hurts, put fake slab makers and those who sell it in jail for a long time then go after their assets make sure they are crippled to the point they will never be a issue again

this will send a powerful message out that PCGS is not going to be a target and will go after them hard

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/TyJbuBJf37WZ2KT19

• Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    And the chinese government walks arm in arm with these thieves. And the website is alibaba, what a surprise...............not.

I wish PCGS the best on this one but I think this is something that's going to be a reality for a while. Boy oh boy.

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder where genuine PCGS slabs are manufactured...

A freind of mine designed a few giant, oversized inflatable animal toys (A dragon, fox and dog) These suckers are like 7ft tall. He went to China to manufacture them and within a month, other companies were selling his SAME toy designs.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    CuKevinCuKevin Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I strongly suggest not pasting the full, functional links here. In doing so, Google's PageRank algorithm will bump up the copy websites and get them more traffic as it would see this domain linking into them. >>

I second that. This site is heavily trolled for info. >>

This is true, we are just making it so they show up higher in search results. Can we switch to pm or some other method of data input?
    Choice Numismatics www.ChoiceCoin.com

CN eBay

All of my collection is in a safe deposit box!
  • Options

<< <i>I wonder where genuine PCGS slabs are manufactured... >>

I'd love to see the answer to this question.

• Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    seems like a much more worthy cause then trying to sue coin doctors... now where are genuine PCGS slabs manufactured ?
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Fake Saint >>

Yeah. For real. This makes me frikken sick. The Chinese, INCAPABLE of producing anything original, continue to copy, steal and hijack all products American. Yet they remain a "favored trading partner". Unbelievable. >>

To be honest - they are stealing everything from everyone - machine technology from Germany (same as car technology), military technology from Russia, design from Italy, France and many more...
    As long as the US owe them more, than able to pay back though - they WILL remain a "favored trading partner"...

Ah, and btw. - do not forget, these circumstances also grant China the allowance to ignore human or any other rights when necessary.
  • Options
    okiedudeokiedude Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    PM sent.
    Good luck
    BST with: Oldhobo, commoncents05, NoLawyer, AgentJim007, Bronzemat, 123cents, Lordmarcovan, VanHalen, ajaan, MICHAELDIXON, jayPem and more!
  • Options
    Another question, aren't the Morgan, peace and other dollars still valid currency?
    If so, isn't making fakes of them not equivalent to uttering of counterfeit money?
  • Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    with the exception of trade doolars, i believe all coins minted at any of the US mints are still legal tender. jurisdiction is an issue, the US secret service doesnt have jurisdiction over china
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I applaude this effort and will support it in any way I canimage >>

+1
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭

<< <i>seems like a much more worthy cause then trying to sue coin doctors... now where are genuine PCGS slabs manufactured ? >>

Curing an ailment is always better than treating symptoms however the 'sure thing' in this scenario is the coin doctors. They break laws and should be punished accordingly. Is the manufacturer of genuine slabs leaking product to the doctors? Separate issue, separate battle if it's indeed true.

Both are necessary IMO
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options

<< <i>with the exception of trade dollars, i believe all coins minted at any of the US mints are still legal tender. jurisdiction is an issue, the US secret service doesnt have jurisdiction over china >>

Sure it is. On the other hand - they managed to hunt down brand piracy in most civilized countries - despite different jurisdiction.
    What do you think the US would do, if the Chinese just start to print faked US dollars of current issue? This is a profitable business, you know? image Advertisement like

Welcome to my shop!I only sell replica notes for wallets, none of the notes I sell are original. Please don't buy them as the original notes. I sell these copied notes only want to make your wallet feels more perfect.

Really - I believe nowadays you can find an effective agreement in such things even with the Chinese government.
  • Options
    FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Yeah. For real. This makes me frikken sick. The Chinese, INCAPABLE of producing anything original, continue to copy, steal and hijack all products American. Yet they remain a "favored trading partner". Unbelievable.

To be honest - they are stealing everything from everyone - machine technology from Germany (same as car technology), military technology from Russia, design from Italy, France and many more...
    As long as the US owe them more, than able to pay back though - they WILL remain a "favored trading partner"...

Ah, and btw. - do not forget, these circumstances also grant China the allowance to ignore human or any other rights when necessary. >>

Can't buy a Cuban cigar -- or even sell Cuban coins on eBay that were made in USA decades before Castro... but China is our "most favored" trading partner...US government lets
    IBM sell its computer business to Lenovo, a Chinese government owned company...then this..

Researchers at Cambridge University have found that a microprocessor used extensively by the US military contains a backdoor built into the design allowing the chip to be reprogrammed. The chip is used in many systems including weapons, nuclear power plants and public transport. The "bug" is in the chip itself rather than the firmware, the only “fix” would be replacement.

Sergei Skorobogatov of Quo Vadis Labs at Cambridge University said of his backdoor discovery “Our aim was to perform advanced code breaking and to see if there were any unexpected features on the (US Military) chip. We scanned the silicon chip in an affordable time and found a previously unknown backdoor inserted by the manufacturer. This backdoor has a key, which we were able to extract. If you use this key you can disable the chip or reprogram it at will, even if locked by the user with their own key. This particular chip is prevalent in many systems from weapons, nuclear power plants to public transport. In other words, this backdoor access could be turned into an advanced Stuxnet weapon to attack potentially millions of systems. The scale and range of possible attacks has huge implications for National Security and public infrastructure.”
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file