Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Which Auction House and Auction?

I am trying this one more time as the first time did not produce many answers. I have a unique basketball item and am trying to decide between two auctions: 1) Heritage Auction's platinum night auction and 2) Grey Flannel's Hall of Fame induction auction. What do people think?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    JHS5120JHS5120 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭
    I suggest Grey Flannel. While I have little experience with them, I know that they are top notch for basketball items and I know it will get more exposure than Heritage.

Heritage has a very specific order for all of their auctions: 1st Baseball cards, 2nd Baseball autographs, 3rd Baseball memorabilia, 4th Basketball, 5th Football, 6th every other sport. While Grey Flannel has a more simple order for their Hall of Fame induction auction: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th is Basketball. I think you can figure out which auction will cater to more basketball fans.
    My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
  • Options
    goraidersgoraiders Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭
    What is the item?
    J.R.
    Needs'
    1972 Football-9's high#'s
    1965 Football-8's
    1958 Topps FB-7-8
  • Options
    Thanks. Heritage claims their platinum night is a bigger overall auction with exposure to more big money buyers. Do you know if this is true?
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    Heritage is nice. If their auction gets too big though, your item might get overlooked, as was the case their last auction on alot of items.
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks. Heritage claims their platinum night is a bigger overall auction with exposure to more big money buyers. Do you know if this is true? >>

Yes, I agree 100%. It is a bigger OVERALL auction. Their last Platinum night was February 23rd and they realized some astonishing prices including Mickey Mantle's 1949 bonus check at $286,800! All of the baseball items consigned did extremely well, but many on the board thought that the Hockey and Basketball items lagged. Here is a link to the auction, notice how organized and prominent the baseball items (and US olympic hockey items) are displayed while the basketball is shoved in the back and spread out?

Link

Just out of curiousity, what it the general estimate of the item you are consigning and the nature of the consignment (ie. game used jersey, autograph, important document)? It should play a role in your choice.

Jason
    My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
  • Options
    $15 - $25 K. Important document
  • Options
    esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭
    I agree with JSH's thoughts. However, GF is so jersey-focused, it's a closer call. Legendary is going to have a special 100-lot, all high-end, auction that has a live component at the National. Worth considering that one. Goldin is getting a ton of free publicity because of the Kobe Bryant suit. Also worth considering. There is no clear-cut "right" choice in my mind.
    Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • Options

<< <i>I agree with JSH's thoughts. However, GF is so jersey-focused, it's a closer call. Legendary is going to have a special 100-lot, all high-end, auction that has a live component at the National. Worth considering that one. Goldin is getting a ton of free publicity because of the Kobe Bryant suit. Also worth considering. There is no clear-cut "right" choice in my mind. >>

very helpful, thanks. how does legendary stack up with those already mentioned?
  • Options
    esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭
    I think Legendary lines up favorably. The handle a lot of high-end lots and oversaw the sale of the Dreier Collection, which was comprised of some of the rarest items in the hobby. I believe just Dreier items brought in $10 million or so.
    Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • Options
    I guess you picked Heritage..

Link

I could be completely off base here, but I would think this birth certificate belongs to Mr. Jordan. I cannot see him selling it.
    My eBay Store =)

• Options
    I would have picked Dave Kohler of SCP Auctions, but hopefully Heritage will do OK with it.
  • Options
    ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭
    I remember reading a thread on this forum sometime last year where a poster said he had a birth certificate of a well known name he wanted to sell and was looking for auction houses. Needless to say, he took a lot of heat. I can see why he chose not to get specific this go around. I can't imagine a scenario where someone should have Michael Jordan's birth certificate with his blessing.

Must be
    A) forgery
    B) Stolen
    C) Sold by a bitter family member

Any of those scenarios would make me run and run quickly from this item, but that's me
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • Options

<< <i>I remember reading a thread on this forum sometime last year where a poster said he had a birth certificate of a well known name he wanted to sell and was looking for auction houses. Needless to say, he took a lot of heat. I can see why he chose not to get specific this go around. I can't imagine a scenario where someone should have Michael Jordan's birth certificate with his blessing.

Must be
    A) forgery
    B) Stolen

Any of those scenarios would make me run and run quickly from this item, but that's me >>

+1

I remember that thread too. I tried to find it, but this guy must have made a new user name. According to the auction:

<< <i>the official "Certificate of Birth" filed with the "Division of Records, Department of Health, Borough of Brooklyn" >>

What is the possibility that this was stolen from the Department of Health? I know the New York Public Library is having a nightmare of a time trying to locate their missing artifacts. I hope Heritage did their homework before accepting this consignment.
    My eBay Store =)

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I remember reading a thread on this forum sometime last year where a poster said he had a birth certificate of a well known name he wanted to sell and was looking for auction houses. Needless to say, he took a lot of heat. I can see why he chose not to get specific this go around. I can't imagine a scenario where someone should have Michael Jordan's birth certificate with his blessing.

Must be
    A) forgery
    B) Stolen

Any of those scenarios would make me run and run quickly from this item, but that's me >>

+1

Sometrhing unseemly about even owning this, imo..why in the world would Michael Jordan approve the sale of his original (if it is original) birth certificate?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Baez578Baez578 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭
    Is the sale of someone else's birth certificate even legal?