Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1823 Capped Bust Halves - The Troublesome 3's

lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
1823 capped bust halves are well known for double and even triple profiles. But the Redbook varieties focus on the problems the Mint engravers had with the number 3 punch.

Four different varieties are seen, but not all from the same working die.
- The "broken 3" (O.101) came from a new 3 punch, and the less than satisfactory result was not touched up as would normally have happened.
- The "patched 3" (O.101a, O.102) was a botched repair attempt to the same die.
- The "ugly 3" (O.110a) was due to a die crack from the rim upward which simply broke away the right side of the numeral.
- The fourth 3 variety -- not a recognized "major" one, the "tampered with 3" (O.106a), was likely due to a simple die chip and not inept tampering.

Here are some examples. A shout out to AU58WALKERS for the patched 3 that arrived today. image
Lance.

Broken 3
imageimage

Patched 3
imageimage

Ugly 3
imageimage

Tampered-with 3
imageimage

Normal 3
imageimage

Profile doubling
imageimage

Comments

• Options
    coinnutcoinnut Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great job, Lance! It's nice to see them all togetther.image
  • Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome group Lance !
  • Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭✭
    Great stuff, thanks for posting these. image
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great post Lance!! image
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool Lance!

Thank you for posting. Another aspect of why this board is so cool.

John
  • Options
    cmanbbcmanbb Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image Those CBH"s
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well done!
    Thanks.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    sniocsusniocsu Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭
    Very nice
  • Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coins and photos! I wouldn't call any of those 3's lookers either, they all look ugly to me! image
  • Options
    habaracahabaraca Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most Excellent....

May I keep the post/pictures for future study?
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    excellent micro-photography

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    zap1111zap1111 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭
    A great post - thanks! Very nice coins, too.
    zap
    zap1111
    102 capped bust half dollars - 100 die marriages
    BHNC #198
  • Options
    TrimeTrime Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭
    Add my appreciation . Great photography. A real keeper post
    Trime
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    now heres a post worth keeping for future referance with them pics
  • Options
    Neat post! Great set of coins!
    You may call me Dave
    BHNC member # 184!

http://www.busthalfaddict.com
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    Very nice presentation. I like your Patched 3 the best, but I would much rather own your Broken 3. Believe it or not, but I had the hardest time finding the Ugly 3.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A very nice and thorough run-down on the major '23 date varieties. I'm not a Bust Half Dollar collector, but I found the images and info on each date variety to be very interesting. Excellent-looking coins also.

cheers,

'dude
    Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 22, 2019 9:28AM

Zombie thread alert.

@Ikeigwin Are there any die chain studies that show where in 1823 these weird date dies were used? Robert Scot died in November of 1823, and William Kneass did not replace him until late January of 1824. I have always enjoyed the mental image of the Chief Coiner trying to get one more die he can use by personally dating the "Broken 3" die by using the bottom half of a (literally broken) "3" punch to sink the bottom half of the 3, and then using the top half of a cut-down "2" punch to sink the top half of the 3.
    TD

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dr Ivan Leaman and Don Gunnet developed an emission order for the Capped Bust Halves and presented their findings at the COAC Conference in 1986. According to them the emission sequence of 1823 is, by Overton numbers:

1823 108
    1822 112, 113
    1823 109,101,102,110,104,111,107,103,105,106
    1824 111
    1823 112
    1824 112,101,102
    1823 113

Their study used the die states of the edge dies in conjunction with the obverse and reverse dies to make their determinations.

Hope this helps a little.

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • Options
    LJenkins11LJenkins11 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭✭✭

I missed the original posting but wonderful examples and nice educational write up.

• Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love the 23s, there are so many different looks to that one digit on the various dies.

Cool group.

• Options

I forgot about one more odd 3...the "tall 3", O.112.

So for the sake of completeness...
    Lance.

• Options
    TunisTunis Posts: 429 ✭✭✭✭

Incredibly impressive!! Thanks for sharing.

Successful buys on BST board from NotSure, Nankraut, Yorkshireman, Astrorat, Ikeigwin(2x), Bob13, Outhaul, coinbuf, dpvilla, jayPem, Sean1990, TwoKopeiki, bidask, Downtown1974, drddm, nederveit2

• Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

I learned something today. Thanks.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great post Lance... very informative and excellent pictures.... Worth putting in my computer 'coin library'... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lkeigwin Have you ever thought about starting an attribution service for Capped Bust Half Dollars comparable to what Messydesk does for Morgan Dollars?

• Options

@cameonut2011 said:
    @lkeigwin Have you ever thought about starting an attribution service for Capped Bust Half Dollars comparable to what Messydesk does for Morgan Dollars?

LOL. I don't think I'd be very busy.

Bust half attribution isn't really difficult or tricky. Anyone can get the gist of it quickly using skills learned as a toddler. "Which of these is not like the others?"

With experience you learn to be faster at it by picking out distinctive characteristics, like die cracks, an unusual orientation of stars and their points, or a peculiar relationship between legend and scroll letters. Something odd and prominent.
    Lance.

• Options
    TunisTunis Posts: 429 ✭✭✭✭

Just a public shout out to Lance. He took the time to “educate” me in the basics of attribution. Not as easy as he makes it, lol, but practice makes perfect(sort of).

Successful buys on BST board from NotSure, Nankraut, Yorkshireman, Astrorat, Ikeigwin(2x), Bob13, Outhaul, coinbuf, dpvilla, jayPem, Sean1990, TwoKopeiki, bidask, Downtown1974, drddm, nederveit2

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file