Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Ebay is now banning Cuban Coins

Funny,I just read the question about importing Cuban Currency. Well evidently in the last week ebay has started banning the listing of any coins from Cuba. I tried to relist a couple and ebay would not allow it! I have sold quite a few coins from Cuba on ebay in the last year. Seems like they would differentiate between old and new(Castro) coins.

Comments

• Options
    really?

looks to me that there is a whole bunch listed:
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/Coins-World-/256/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=cuba
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>really?

looks to me that there is a whole bunch listed:
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/Coins-World-/256/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=cuba >>

This evidently just went into effect. I had Cuban coins listed that ended and I went to relist...they are now banned in the US. Don't know about other ebay sites.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm... it's April 17th and not April 1st.

Really? Wow.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    BailathaclBailathacl Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭
    Hmm, no new Cuban coins have been listed since 8:43 a.m. yesterday, over 34 hours ago. Seems pretty clear that eBay has indeed stopped listing Cuban coins. Now the question would seem to be "Why?"
    "The Internet? Is that thing still around??" - Homer Simpson
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another way to keep the Castro boys in power. The blockade and the embargo have worked so well in removing them from power. It has been over 50 years now.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    I was going to respond the way LM responded! image I find it hard to believe, but I guess anything is possible... Hmmm. Go figure. image -Dan
  • Options
    BailathaclBailathacl Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭
    Coming soon: a ban on North Korean coins?
    "The Internet? Is that thing still around??" - Homer Simpson
  • Options

I just tried to list a certified 10 centavos. I've sold a number of these before and as recently as a couple months ago.

I got this message,

Attention Sellers:

Listings for stamps, coins or paper money from Cuba are not permitted. eBay’s policy prohibits the sale of most items that originate from Cuba due to sanctions enforced by the U.S. Department of the Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC). If you list such an item in violation of this policy, we will remove the item and may prohibit you from further use of our services.

More information on the specific items covered by the sanctions related to Cuba can be found here:

http://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/sanctions/Programs/pages/cuba.aspx

eBay’s policy on Embargoed Goods and Prohibited Countries can be found here:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/embargo.html

WTF!
  • Options
    What next, Chinese fakes.
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What next, Chinese fakes. >>

NEVER IN A MILLION YEARS!!!!! That would severely impact eBay's EPS and Revenues. image
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There has been an embargo on Cuba since Oct.1960. This includes coins minted after 1960. I do not know if ebay has banned all cuban related items or just those produced after oct.1960--Actually this ban by ebay should have been in place from day one(in the U.S.A.). If the U. S. government lifts the embargo,even for one day or even one hour, then all coins (and other items) produced from 1960 to the lifting of the ban will become legal to own.. The U. S govenment can and will confiscate such material. If you have Cuban coins dated between 1960 and today-best not to let the government know about them. I have seen quite a few Cuban coins at coin shows dated after 1960. I just hope no one who has any of these gets caught.
    Coin dated before 1960 and other items are legal and not affected by the emargo-however maybe ebay just decided it would be easier to just ban all Cuban coins. The embargo includes everything including stamps, coins, and currency.

I feel that for the good of the Cuban people the U. S. government should halt the embargo. Sugar cane and cigars are chief Cuban exports and there was a great market for these items in the U. S. before the embargo. Also in the 1920's Cuba was a great vacation spot-I do not know if this will ever recur but the cigar and sugar trade will one day.

Bob
  • Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    So if I read their so-called "policy" correctly the following countries are banned. This means that coins from any of these countries are supposedly not allowed to be listed on eBay:

We don't allow items on our site if they fall under the embargo regulations with the following countries:
    Burma (Myanmar)
    Cuba
    Iran
    North Korea
    Sudan
    Syria

We also don't allow organizations, businesses, or individuals from these countries to have or register accounts while based in these countries.
    You can review the most up-to-date list of sanctions affecting countries, organizations, and individuals by visiting the Office of Foreign Assets Control website.
    We also don't allow organizations, businesses, or individuals on the Specially Designated Nationals list (SDN) to have or register accounts.

I better sell some Pahlavi's quickly....
  • Options
    I was reading the Iran Sanctions policy. Especially this part is interesting:

• DEALING IN IRANIAN-ORIGIN GOODS OR SERVICES - U.S. persons, including foreign
    branches of U.S. depository institutions and trading companies, are prohibited
    from engaging in any transactions, including purchase, sale, transportation,
    swap, financing, or brokering transactions related to goods or services of
    Iranian origin or goods or services owned or controlled by the Government of
    Iran.
  • Options
    Ebays banning rarely stops Ebayers, here's a double header , norfed and fakes were both "banned"

Fake Norfed Dollars from China
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK, that's pretty absurd.

Next you won't be able to sell Nazi coins. I know those are already verboten in parts of Europe.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    With the WW2 German items i think it all depends which way the wind is blowing on any particular day LM , or on if it's reported. I sold some of the aforementioned a few years back and had them listed on Ebay, general field infantry decorations and unit badges etc. Those got booted and the explanation i got was anything with a swastika on it gets booted,yet Ebay does have a ton of Nazi coinage with the Swastika under many different sections from World Silver to Bizarre , there's so much i sometimes wonder if it is genuine.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How ignorant is this??

I am even embarrassed for the E

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    I was talking to an ebay seller today about the Cuba ban. That's when I learned about Iran! I have listed Iranian coins before with no problem. Turns out according to him if you only ship to the US it is OK to list coins from Iran.

I guess my gripe is coins that could have legitimately been brought here legally should be allowed to be sold! I just bought a nice 1915 Cuban Peso last week with intentions of listing it on ebay. image
  • Options
    ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    Interesting that ebay suddenly enforced the ban

It still is a great vacation spot! If you can stomach the human rights abuses and backwardness of the gov

I've spoken to American's who have traveled there legally. You can still get a religious visa
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Interesting that ebay suddenly enforced the ban

It still is a great vacation spot! If you can stomach the human rights abuses and backwardness of the gov

I've spoken to American's who have traveled there legally. You can still get a religious visa >>

Great!!! I'm going to apply to visit and attend the Temple of Mojito. image
  • Options
    I just wanted to make clear that the Cuban government will welcome all Americans (and their money) with open arms. The US government is the one that does not want you to visit Cuba. There are, however, travel agencies that can arrange for travel. As far as I know this generally includes flying to Cuba via Canada and Mexico, and Cuban border control apparently is friendly enough not to stamp your passport if you request so.

I know plenty of people that have been to Cuba...they all really enjoyed the place.

Dennis
  • Options
    Cuba is quite a popular holiday destination from here in the UK, you can even upgrade your flight from Cuban Airlines to Aeroflot. Regarding the coins can you not just list them on another ebay site just avoid .com
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    You *can* list these items. You just cannot import/export them to/from the U.S.

As a test, I just tried to list an Iranian stamp, and the following explanatory message came up:

Listings for items that originate from Iran are only permitted for US sellers and US buyers on eBay.com. In addition, US sellers cannot list these items with shipping outside the US or with an item location outside the US. If these conditions are not met, then you may not list this item.

More information on the specific items covered by the sanctions related to Iran can be found here:

http://www.treasury.gov /resource-center/sanctions/Programs/pages/iran.aspx

eBay's policy on Embargoed Goods and Prohibited Countries can be found here:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/embargo.html
  • Options

I think all the Cuban Republic coinage was minted at Philadelphia. Go figure!

• Options

<< <i>You *can* list these items. You just cannot import/export them to/from the U.S. >>

Apparently, eBay disagrees:

MC999 eBay Listing Removed: Embargoed Goods (766720219)
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    Dear xxx,

You recently listed the following listing:

181108980172 - CUBA 1953 Silver 1 Peso BU

Unfortunately, we had to remove your listing because of the following:

You listed an item that came from Cuba. This is not permitted.

Please do not relist.

eBay doesn't allow the sale of items to or from countries, organizations, businesses, or individuals where the United States government has an embargo. This includes Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Syria, and other countries. This significantly restricts or bans all trade with these countries. As a United States company, eBay is bound by the government's restrictions regarding these embargoes.

edited to add... Question to no one in particular: If eBay doesn't allow the sales of Cuban coins, why are there categories for them?
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    I came across this article and started wondering if the sudden and forceful (and sloppy) application of the law is part of their ass kissing.. er.. lobbying efforts? Hmmm...

eBay encourages sellers to oppose Senate’s pending online sales tax bill

Sounds like ebay doesn't want to deal with sales tax! (the bill "empowers states to compel retailers outside their borders to collect sales tax for online purchases. In other words, an Illinois retailer shipping to a Californian would now be required to collect California sales tax then send that money back to the Golden State. At present, states can only require this of companies that have an in-state physical presence.")
  • Options
    eBay can certainly run their site the way they like, but what pisses me off is this:

"You recently listed the following...
    Unfortunately, we had to remove your listing because of the following:
    You listed an item that came from Cuba. This is not permitted.
    Please do not relist."

Yeah, I listed the coin. In the category you specifically provided. If you don't want these coins listed, perhaps you might be so kind as to apologize to me for wasting my time listing coins in your defined categories and later changing your mind about allowing them in the first place.

But, no. I'm the bad guy. And I better not do it again, begging the question:

If I list other coins in the categories that you provide, will I get in trouble for that, too?
  • Options
    Welllllll!!!!! I just tried to list a 1935 ABC Peso Graded NGC MS65 and they would not allow it! I called customer support....after several back and forth's with the minion to the supervisor I got a blanket statement! Ebay does not want to take the risk...so even though it is legal to own they don't want to go to the trouble...IE modify their software so legal coins are listable!
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on obtaining a 65 example- I would consign the coin and not do ebay with that one

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Sure glad I bought those Iran and Cuba slabs last month!

Definitely sounds like lobbying and butt-kissing. Feds and IRS have been hounding down on eBay in recent years, especially the past few months, because of all the lost tax revenues. Similar to Amazon.com's situation.

Regarding the forced removal of listings … eBay is horrible about removing the wrong listings. I have reported dozens upon dozens of violations to them (fakes, scams, etc) that were never taken down. Meanwhile I've had two of my own forcibly removed by their Customer Service as a result of confusion (on their part or the reporter).
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    mrpotatoheaddmrpotatoheadd Posts: 7,576 ✭✭

<< <i>Regarding the forced removal of listings … >>

It doesn't appear the eBay is removing listings. If they did that, they'd have to refund fees. What they're doing is letting GTC listings run to completion and then not allowing them be relisted.
  • Options
    I didn't think they refunded fees for violations / forced removal.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    mrpotatoheaddmrpotatoheadd Posts: 7,576 ✭✭

<< <i>I didn't think they refunded fees for violations / forced removal. >>

If one properly lists a coin in a category that eBay provides specifically for it and the listing gets ended because eBay changes their policy regarding the things that can be listed on the site, the person originally listing the coin has violated no policy.

From eBay:

"If we removed your listing because of a policy violation, we may or may not refund your fees for that listing, depending on the policy you violated and whether you've violated our policies in the past."

If you might get your fees back after violating eBay policy, it's likely (IMO) you would get your fees back if eBay changed their minds about what you can sell and ended your listings early.
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had one gold coin from Iran taken down by eBay because of this new policy, but they left up my three gold medals from Iran.

• Options
    Are the medals still listed? I received an email from eBay about their new policies - an actual off-site email, not an eBay message - and gather it had something to do with the new banishments. Anyone else get the email?
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Medals are still up for now.
  • Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭
    If I had a Cuban coin to sell I'd try this title/item description in the general Coins: World: North and Central America category and see what happens:

1953 Jose Marti silver peso minted in Philadelphia

You are bidding on a BU 1953 silver peso made not in Cuba but at the U.S. Mint for a well-known Caribbean country whose name cannot be mentioned. It features a bust of local hero Jose Marti, who raised money for his fight for independence from among immigrant cigar makers in Tampa, Fla. As this product is made in the USA, it is legal for Americans to own, so bid with confidence!
  • Options
    imageimageimage

Well done! An excellent idea. I highly recommend it.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    The problem with trying to get around ebays policy is it could get your account suspended! Is it worth it for 1 coin???
  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    I had no problem purchasing this coin!Cuban Essai

Maybe they need to work on their own search function for listings?image
  • Options
    daOnlyBGdaOnlyBG Posts: 1,060 ✭✭
    As a Syrian American, and a collector of Syrian coins, I'm pretty disappointed, but not surprised. Who suffers from an economic embargo? I'll give you a hint: not the governments involved.
    Fortunately, there are a number of Syrian coins still up on eBay for grabs, but I don't see the one I'm currently pursuing. The 1950 gold pound tends to show up on Heritage from time to time, though.

Banning harmless stuff is just stupid..
    Successful BST transactions with: blu62vette, Shortgapbob, Dolan, valente151, cucamongacoin, ajaan

Interests:
    Pre-Jump Grade Project
    Toned Commemoratives
  • Options

<< <i>Banning harmless stuff is just stupid.. >>

image It's not like we are talking about African blood diamonds.

Amwldcoin, I would discuss the plan with eBay customer support. See what they think. Explain it was minted in Philly.
    Furthermore, emphasize the coin is already in your possession in the States and will not be shipping from Cuba. See what they say?
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that there is no law and never was a law against Cuban coins. A trade
    embargo means just that; no trade. It doesn't mean that Cuban coins don't exist or are illegal in any
    way. It means you can't import anything from Cuba including current or past coins.

The problem is the educational system has failed in this country and now we have uneducated nit
    wits making decisions. Believe it or not most swimming pools in this country are closed during and be-
    fore electrical storms because somebody is afraid all the swimmers will get electrocuted! It gets worse
    every year; much worse. Ebay is one of the worst violators of common sense and will bend over back-
    ward to be polically correct. I hear tell they already banned nazi era coins.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    I don't understand that one, either. Does Nazi-era mean the years? or specifically German coins? or all coins with swastika?
    Personally I don't collect swastika coins but I do collect occupation coins from eastern european countries.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> I hear tell they already banned nazi era coins. >>

You heard wrong....there are literally thousands of 1933- 1945 Nazi era coin auctions at this time, a good percentage with swastika's. What I would like to see being banned, is all the fake Chinese produced NAZI fantasy bars & rounds. Just do a search for: Reichsbank on eBay, and review what those sellers are peddling, none were ever issued by the "3d Reich."
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭
    The Cuban Numismatic Association released this letter they sent to eBay:

My name is Francis X. Putrow. I am the president of the Cuban Numismatic Association (CNA), founded in 2004. I have been contacted by many of our fellow CNA members that recent attempts to list Cuban numismatic items had been rejected by eBay. These members contacted eBay Customer Service representatives, who referenced the new policy, but were unable to address the CNA members complaints that the CUBAN EMBARGO excludes Cuban coins and paper money that were minted/printed before February 7, 1962." In the meantime, no listings are being allowed by eBay.

I have reviewed eBay's GUIDE to COLLECTING CUBAN COINS, which clarifies that "coins minted before the embargo was in place can be legally sold and purchased in the United States." The guide includes a sample list of specific coins that fall into this category. These coins, as well as ALL the Cuban coins up to 1961, were minted in the Philadelphia, PA mint. Actually, the sample list referenced is a very small number of the population that was minted by the Philadelphia mint. eBay's new listing policy of Cuban coins is very inconsistent with the above published guide.

Cuban currency was also printed by the Bureau of Engraving and Printing (BPE) in Washington, DC until 1949, and then printed by the American Note Company until 1960. 20th Century Cuban notes were also printed by the American Note Company for the Spanish Bank in Cuba. All of these items are currently denied listing as well.

The current listing policy of Cuban currency is inconsistent with eBay's guide above.

Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • Options
    YESSSSSSS!!!!!!!
    imageimage

Go CNA! Hopefully some action will come as a result of that letter. If not then perhaps we can sign a petition threatening to boycott?
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭

<< <i>YESSSSSSS!!!!!!!
    imageimage

Go CNA! Hopefully some action will come as a result of that letter. If not then perhaps we can sign a petition threatening to boycott? >>

Perhaps Senator Marco Rubio should be contacted.

http://www.rubio.senate.gov/public/
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • Options

<< <i>Perhaps Senator Marco Rubio should be contacted. >>

DONE. image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The Cuban Numismatic Association released this letter they sent to eBay:

My name is Francis X. Putrow. I am the president of the Cuban Numismatic Association (CNA), founded in 2004. I have been contacted by many of our fellow CNA members that recent attempts to list Cuban numismatic items had been rejected by eBay. These members contacted eBay Customer Service representatives, who referenced the new policy, but were unable to address the CNA members complaints that the CUBAN EMBARGO excludes Cuban coins and paper money that were minted/printed before February 7, 1962." In the meantime, no listings are being allowed by eBay.

I have reviewed eBay's GUIDE to COLLECTING CUBAN COINS, which clarifies that "coins minted before the embargo was in place can be legally sold and purchased in the United States." The guide includes a sample list of specific coins that fall into this category. These coins, as well as ALL the Cuban coins up to 1961, were minted in the Philadelphia, PA mint. Actually, the sample list referenced is a very small number of the population that was minted by the Philadelphia mint. eBay's new listing policy of Cuban coins is very inconsistent with the above published guide.

Cuban currency was also printed by the Bureau of Engraving and Printing (BPE) in Washington, DC until 1949, and then printed by the American Note Company until 1960. 20th Century Cuban notes were also printed by the American Note Company for the Spanish Bank in Cuba. All of these items are currently denied listing as well.

The current listing policy of Cuban currency is inconsistent with eBay's guide above. >>

Any coins imported from Cuba today are illegal. It doesn't matter when they were minted.

No Cuban coin in the US is necessarily here ibn violation of the ban. A recent issue that
    came by way of another country is legal to own and trade here. eBay is wrong and the
    proposed remedy is wrong.
    Tempus fugit.