Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Letter from Dan Brown concerning Denver Mint sales of 1964-D Peace Dollars

Comments

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>QUESTION - Did any mint employees, at any time, state they purchased a 1964-D and subsequently returned it? If this in fact happened I'd think it would have been known at the time and would majorly strengthen the case of having some escape. It sounds like this whole ordeal was publicized enough that this would have been fleshed out back in the day. >>

My understanding is that there is not a single Mint employee who made a statement on the validity of this story while living. I agree this would make the story stronger but it seems like no one ever made such a statement. After the passing of both Mrs. Miller and Dan Brown, we now have this very interesting letter. >>

Do you mean in writing, or verbally? Coin World (Guest Commentary, late July or early August, 1996) has my report of the verbal conversation I had with a retired Denver Mint employee who confirmed the story. Mr. Brown's letter contains a report of a verbal conversation with the Superintendent of the Denver Mint confirming the story.

As to confirmation in writing, all we have in writing is the Mint's extraordinary affiidavits confirming that nothing did happen. No doubt they confirmed everything that did not happen in writing. >>

I'm referring to named employees that can be verified. I think your museum encounter is very interesting but it's unfortunate you did not get his name so he could have been anyone. I think it would be interesting to check the visitor logs for that day and match it with Mint employee records to see if there is a match. That hasn't been done to my understanding but wouldn't it be interesting if there was a match?
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,644 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>QUESTION - Did any mint employees, at any time, state they purchased a 1964-D and subsequently returned it? If this in fact happened I'd think it would have been known at the time and would majorly strengthen the case of having some escape. It sounds like this whole ordeal was publicized enough that this would have been fleshed out back in the day. >>

My understanding is that there is not a single Mint employee who made a statement on the validity of this story while living. I agree this would make the story stronger but it seems like no one ever made such a statement. After the passing of both Mrs. Miller and Dan Brown, we now have this very interesting letter. >>

Do you mean in writing, or verbally? Coin World (Guest Commentary, late July or early August, 1996) has my report of the verbal conversation I had with a retired Denver Mint employee who confirmed the story. Mr. Brown's letter contains a report of a verbal conversation with the Superintendent of the Denver Mint confirming the story.

As to confirmation in writing, all we have in writing is the Mint's extraordinary affiidavits confirming that nothing did happen. No doubt they confirmed everything that did not happen in writing. >>

I'm referring to named employees that can be verified. I think your museum encounter is very interesting but it's unfortunate you did not get his name so he could have been anyone. I think it would be interesting to check the visitor logs for that day and match it with Mint employee records to see if there is a match. That hasn't been done to my understanding. >>

Not being a government agency, we did not feel the need to investigate our visitors. Privacy, you know.

That just leaves the one named report citing Mrs. Fern Miller, Superintendent of the U.S. Mint at Denver.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm referring to named employees that can be verified. I think your museum encounter is very interesting but it's unfortunate you did not get his name so he could have been anyone. I think it would be interesting to check the visitor logs for that day and match it with Mint employee records to see if there is a match. That hasn't been done to my understanding. >>

Not being a government agency, we did not feel the need to investigate our visitors. Privacy, you know.

That just leaves the one named report citing Mrs. Fern Miller, Superintendent of the U.S. Mint at Denver. >>

Finding attributable sources is just a good part of research. But it feels like finding the name of your source is no longer an option.

As for Fern Miller and Dan Brown, both have passed away so those seem to be unverifiable.

In any event, the easiest way to put this story to rest is not to talk about unverifiable stories but to produce a coin for PCGS to authenticate, which they will do for free image
  • Options
    mrpotatoheaddmrpotatoheadd Posts: 7,576 ✭✭
    Since the coins did exist at some point in time (which I have not seen disputed by anybody in any of the discussions here on the topic), it would appear that the unverifiable (at this point in time, anyway) story is that none currently exist.
  • Options

<< <i>Since the coins did exist at some point in time (which I have not seen disputed by anybody in any of the discussions here on the topic), it would appear that the unverifiable (at this point in time, anyway) story is that none currently exist. >>

This is why it's still a super interesting urban legend image
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,484 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Those that wish to believe that some did escape the strict processes at the US Mint can be categorized right up there with the BigFoot believers. >>

That is quite intolerant of you. You have every right to believe whatever Mr. Carr tells you. Why do you not recognize the right of other people to believe other things? >>

What?

You don't believe in BigFoot?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,409 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Since the coins did exist at some point in time (which I have not seen disputed by anybody in any of the discussions here on the topic), it would appear that the unverifiable (at this point in time, anyway) story is that none currently exist. >>

and how I look at it is if they undeniably existed at one time, then they must still exist today, since I go by fact, they were verifiably minted, and human nature, after they were minted they were purchased and kept or smuggled out. You got to believe in the '60's with the zaniness that went on over there that the mint employees knew full well the vlaue inherent in one of these if they were able to get one out, that is motivation enough. >>

zaniness?

do not accuse bigfoot of smuggling one out of the mint unless you have evidence!
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,561 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Those that wish to believe that some did escape the strict processes at the US Mint can be categorized right up there with the BigFoot believers. >>

That is quite intolerant of you. You have every right to believe whatever Mr. Carr tells you. Why do you not recognize the right of other people to believe other things? >>

What?

You don't believe in BigFoot? >>

Aren't there eye witness accounts and even at least one video of Big Foot?image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Denver in 1965 was a hot bed of craziness I tell you.

Colfax Avenue was wild and x rated. Elitch Gardens and Lakeside were the scene of wicked excess. Morals were no where to be found.

The almighty saw what was happening in the Mile High City in 1965 and in retribution caused the mighty Platte River to flood after non stop heavy rain for days on end. The Platte River rose up out of its banks adjacent to Santa Fe Drive in south Denver and flooded east to and beyond Broadway even to Lincoln Street between Wesley and Iliff Avenues where moi, my sister and my parents lived. The flood waters touched our front stoop and we feared we would get wet.

• Options
    and 1933! O! 1933! Mayhem, I tell you.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Very interesting letter.

I wonder if the skeptics are confusing Dan Brown the coin dealer with Dan Brown the author... Bigfoot, mysterious coins, coverups... Sounds like a sequel to the Davinci Code in the making image >>

...except they already made and released a sequel to the Davinci Code???

Erik
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1 thought I have not seen mentioned in this thread. Being as it was in the hayday of hoarding rolls of new coins. Surely many employees knew how much a 1964 Peace dollar could be worth.

Perhaps someone working on the staff that supposedly melted all said coins.....scarfed a few or switched a few??? Security in 1964 compared to today is liked jailbars made out of lead compared to titanium!

I can think of several ways that could be accomplished. Safest would be to go in with however many dollars you wanted to trade(or hide them in the room before) and throw them in the pot. Hide the 64's in the room and retrive them later.

Obviously this senario would make them illegal to own.
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,053 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,842 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The sad thing is- how many collectors thought that 10 1933 20 Saints would ever show up?

I suspect an authentic 1964-D Peace Dollar exists

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For as long as I've been involved in the business I've heard multiple times that if you knew the right person and had the right amount of money, you could own one...and I've no reason to doubt it.
    I've also heard rumors (more than once, by separate dealer sources in different locales, but virtually the exact same story) that one has privately traded hands at least twice since being liquidated by an ex-Mint employee, and it now resides somewhere on the East Coast (likely NY area), where the current owner is now exploring ways to make it legally marketable- ala the one officially "monetized" 1933 Saint...
    Of course, rumors are just that; rumors. Take them for what they're worth.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options

<< <i>The sad thing is- how many collectors thought that 10 1933 20 Saints would ever show up?

>>

Or that unknown mulings would surface decades after they were made?
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

<< <i>For as long as I've been involved in the business I've heard multiple times that if you knew the right person and had the right amount of money, you could own one...and I've no reason to doubt it.
    I've also heard rumors (more than once, by separate dealer sources in different locales, but virtually the exact same story) that one has privately traded hands at least twice since being liquidated by an ex-Mint employee, and it now resides somewhere on the East Coast (likely NY area), where the current owner is now exploring ways to make it legally marketable- ala the one officially "monetized" 1933 Saint...
    Of course, rumors are just that; rumors. Take them for what they're worth. >>

after hearing the stories, and knowing about 1933 case, there is no way in hell the Mint will just let it be monetized. They'd need the legal equivalent of the "export permit." They'd need some miracle letter allowing this coin to exist outside the mint. Congress perhaps could grant it a pardon? But I'd think Congress would only do that so it would survive into the Smithsonian or the Mint's archives or somesuch.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>For as long as I've been involved in the business I've heard multiple times that if you knew the right person and had the right amount of money, you could own one...and I've no reason to doubt it.
    Of course, rumors are just that; rumors. Take them for what they're worth. >>

after hearing the stories, and knowing about 1933 case, there is no way in hell the Mint will just let it be monetized. They'd need the legal equivalent of the "export permit." They'd need some miracle letter allowing this coin to exist outside the mint. Congress perhaps could grant it a pardon? But I'd think Congress would only do that so it would survive into the Smithsonian or the Mint's archives or somesuch. >>

How about the ANA Museum in Colorado?
  • Options
    dunno. even the smithsonian is outside the gov'mint's control. The ANA? even further.

But.... It's Congress we're talking about. And if they have the ability to "pardon" it, they could allow it to go anywhere I'd guess even into collector's hands. But my guess is they'd see to its seizure.
  • Options
    firstmintfirstmint Posts: 1,171
    IIRC, the dollars were struck on two large Bliss presses, that were covered from view by large, hanging sheets of canvas.

Can anyone confirm that they weren't struck in private at the Denver Mint? and that they were in view of anyone walking around inside the Mint (like on a tour, or working there, etc.)
    PM me if you are looking for U.S. auction catalogs
  • Options
    If 1964 D Peace Dollars do exist and are being held by persons or companies in the private sector off of the radar screen, I have an opinion which I feel very confident in.

It goes like this:

If the ultimate outcome of the Langbord lawsuit over the 10 1933 double eagles is a reversal of the federal trial court judgment in favor of Uncle Sam and the entry of a final judgment in the case that awards title to and possession of the 10 double eagles to the Langbord family, the possessors of any 1964 D Peace Dollar would likely contact Barry Berke about hiring his law firm to provide advice, counsel and legal representation on how and when the existence of 1964 D Peace Dollars should be made public and what strategy to follow in making them legal to own.

Alternatively, if the government ultimately prevails in the Langbord lawsuit, it would be likely that the possessors of any 1964 D Peace Dollar would remain mute.
  • Options

<< <i>If 1964 D Peace Dollars do exist and are being held by persons or companies in the private sector off of the radar screen, I have an opinion which I feel very confident in.

It goes like this:

If the ultimate outcome of the Langbord lawsuit over the 10 1933 double eagles is a reversal of the federal trial court judgment in favor of Uncle Sam and the entry of a final judgment in the case that awards title to and possession of the 10 double eagles to the Langbord family, the possessors of any 1964 D Peace Dollar would likely contact Barry Berke about hiring his law firm to provide advice, counsel and legal representation on how and when the existence of 1964 D Peace Dollars should be made public and what strategy to follow in making them legal to own.

Alternatively, if the government ultimately prevails in the Langbord lawsuit, it would be likely that the possessors of any 1964 D Peace Dollar would remain mute. >>

I yield to your expertise.

• Options
    Not necessarily expertise, just common sense (but thanks for the propsimage).

Berke was successful in his representation of Mr. Fenton, with the result being a settlement that made the Fenton double eagle legal to own in the private sector. As a result of Berke's success in the Fenton matter, the Langbord family contacted Mr. Berke and hired his firm to represent them. If Mr. Berke is ultimately successful in the Langbord matter it would encourage any possessor of a 1964 D Peace Dollar who desires to explore going public to seek the assistance of persons who have a track record of success. No guarantee that Berke's firm would be hired to do anything other than provide a consultation, but a consultation with Mr. Berke would be a safe bet.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't imagine the Government EVER giving up possession of those 10 DEs.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    The 1964-D Peace Dollar exists- it just may not be on US soil.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>If 1964 D Peace Dollars do exist and are being held by persons or companies in the private sector off of the radar screen, I have an opinion which I feel very confident in.

It goes like this:

Alternatively, if the government ultimately prevails in the Langbord lawsuit, it would be likely that the possessors of any 1964 D Peace Dollar would remain mute. >>

I yield to your expertise. >>

And me??? image

wah!
    (still licking self-inflicted wounds over that dime and I guess this too.)
  • Options

<< <i>I can't imagine the Government EVER giving up possession of those 10 DEs. >>

I'm upset the gov't won that court case.

The evidence for the "continued melting" of 1964-D peace dollars is a lot better. Not only did the mint make them, they took them back and melted them, then after a few more were discovered, they were supposed to have been destroyed, too.

They would need that "magic letter" similar to that export license, in my opinion.

And now that Capt has provided outside corroborating evidence that they were indeed to have all been melted.... numismatic traitor! image

• Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they were sold to Mint employees does this equate to being released? The definition of released is to set free from restraint, confinement, or servitude. To give permission for publication, performance, exhibition, or sale of, to make available to the public. Are Mint employees the public? The mint has made public that these were never released for circulation, but they were in-fact sold to employees. So which is it?
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    As posted in another thread, what kept the Mint Employees from using one to buy a beer someplace after work?

• Options

<< <i>The 1964-D Peace Dollar exists- it just may not be on US soil. >>

Do you have proof or is this just wishful thinking on your part?

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>... a retired Denver Mint employee had told me about how the Mint had sold coins to employees on one day and frantically recalled them the next. The former employee told me that a friend of his had purchased two of the coins, and when asked for them back had told hisn superiors that he had spent them in a bar the night before. That is the bar reference in the letter. >>

In what year did the retired Denver Mint employee tell you this story ?
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    And for more 1964 D Peace existence rumors here's the pcgs blog 1964-d-Peace-Dollars-Readers-Responses

Not that I put any credence in the blog posts, a letter from Dan Brown dated 1996 to C Henw has more merit as to whether the coins exist or not, IMHO. They may or may not.
  • Options

<< <i>If they were sold to Mint employees does this equate to being released? The definition of released is to set free from restraint, confinement, or servitude. To give permission for publication, performance, exhibition, or sale of, to make available to the public. Are Mint employees the public? The mint has made public that these were never released for circulation, but they were in-fact sold to employees. So which is it? >>

i had to re-read that letter. oops missed some stuff.

The author of that letter agrees that they were released.

OTOH, they were also recalled.

The author thinks the bar story is bunk. who knows. lots of interesting tales to tell out there.
  • Options
    hmmm.....interesting!
    Taylor
    Also known as coinman101---
    I am a YN and I do not want anybody to question my IQ Level! I don't know everything and came here to learn! image
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,484 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>And for more 1964 D Peace existence rumors here's the pcgs blog 1964-d-Peace-Dollars-Readers-Responses

Not that I put any credence in the blog posts, a letter from Dan Brown dated 1996 to C Henw has more merit as to whether the coins exist or not, IMHO. They may or may not. >>

The Midnight Mint account is memorable! image

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>... a retired Denver Mint employee had told me about how the Mint had sold coins to employees on one day and frantically recalled them the next. The former employee told me that a friend of his had purchased two of the coins, and when asked for them back had told hisn superiors that he had spent them in a bar the night before. That is the bar reference in the letter. >>

In what year did the retired Denver Mint employee tell you this story ? >>

Circa 1980. When I started at the ANA in November of 1978 the rotunda at the front of the building had an old Denver Mint balance beam in the center of the rotunda. A call came back to ANACS that somebody up front had a question about some coins (a common occurence), and it was my turn to go up there. When I got there there was an elderly couple waiting, and the gentleman was looking at the balance beam.

He was quite animated by it, and volunteered the information that he used to use one of those beams when he worked at the Denver Mint in the weighing room. We spent a few minutes appreciating the beam before proceeding to the library to look at their coins (which, as I recall, were nothing special).

Because he had mentioned working at the Mint, I asked him if he had been working there when they struck the silver dollars back in the 1960's. He said that he was. I told him that I had heard a report that when the coins were struck that employees were allowed to buy them, but that they had then been required to return them, and asked if he could confirm this.

He said that it was true, and that employees were allowed to buy two coins each, but that he had not bothered to because they were just another coin to him. He then volunteered the story about his friend who did buy two of the dollars, and how when the man came in to work the next day he was told that if he did not return the coins to the Mint, and that he had told the people wanting the coins back that he had spent them in a bar the night before.

As I recall the balance beam was removed from the rotunda in 1981 when work began on enlarging the building (you could probably find out when this happened from back issues of the Numismatist in the Library there), so this would put the conversation sometime from 1979 to 1981.

TD
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,469 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the earliest WRITTEN account of the story regarding Mint employees' opportunity to purchase 1964 dollars ?

There is an account of these coins recorded in Coin World or Numismatic News, in 1965 or 1966. I studied it and was hoping that I would be able to get one of them. I do remember that there was some buzz about how much one would cost if the Mint released them, and I was concerned that it would be out of my budget range.

The article (or letter to the editor) exists. It just needs to be researched.

That article did include some discussion of the possibility of Mint employees having had the opportunity to buy a coin or two before the decision was made not to release them. At the time, it was all speculation just like it is all speculation now.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>What is the earliest WRITTEN account of the story regarding Mint employees' opportunity to purchase 1964 dollars ?

There is an account of these coins recorded in Coin World or Numismatic News, in 1965 or 1966. I studied it and was hoping that I would be able to get one of them. I do remember that there was some buzz about how much one would cost if the Mint released them, and I was concerned that it would be out of my budget range.

That article did include some discussion of the possibility of Mint employees having had the opportunity to buy a coin or two before the decision was made not to release them. At the time, it was all speculation just like it is all speculation now. >>

That would be a very interesting read, if it can be found.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>What is the earliest WRITTEN account of the story regarding Mint employees' opportunity to purchase 1964 dollars ?

That article did include some discussion of the possibility of Mint employees having had the opportunity to buy a coin or two before the decision was made not to release them. At the time, it was all speculation just like it is all speculation now. >>

That would be a very interesting read, if it can be found. >>

I agree. Would the ANA Library be a good place to check?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

That would be a very interesting read, if it can be found. >>

I agree. Would the ANA Library be a good place to check? >>

Could be. Don't know if they have the papers on microfilm or microfiche or what.

When I worked at Coin WOrld they had bound volumes of back issues that were very easy to leaf through, but I do not know if they still have them.
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    DCarr's fantasy piece has made it to a PCGS blog. Were these Peace bucks put into canvas bags? How were they all accounted for?

Fantasy blog

Should Fantasy 1964-D Peace Dollars have the word “COPY?”
    Posted on November 9, 2010 by Jaime Hernandez

On May 1965 the Denver Mint struck 316,076 – 1964-D Peace Dollars.

Several months later, the Coinage Act of 1965 was introduced. The Coinage Act would make it illegal to issue any Silver Dollars for circulation. Therefore, all 1964-D Peace Dollars had to be melted by law.

According to several Mint employees at the time, all 316,076 Genuine 1964-D Peace Dollars were melted. It was later confirmed that at least two examples were not melted, (even though Mint employees indicated that they were). Those two examples were then re-confirmed of being melted by Eva Adams, who was the Director of the U.S. Mint at the time.

There is speculation that additional Genuine 1964-D Peace Dollars also escaped the melting pot, as some employees were allowed to purchase the coins directly from the Mint. Additionally, there are rumors that Eva Adams sold a 1964-D Peace Dollar to a dealer at one time. In the past, Eva Adams is believed to have sold other coins not known to exist before, such as the 1964 Special Mint Set coins and others.

Recently, many 1964-D Peace Dollars were struck privately without the word “COPY” on them. If Genuine 1964-D Peace Dollars do exist, there is a possibility that Genuine examples might now be confused with the Fantasy 1964-D Peace Dollars that were privately struck just recently.

Should the Fantasy 1964-D Peace Dollars have the word “COPY” on them?
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    IrishMikeyIrishMikey Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭
    There used to be a bar right across the street from the Mint -- I seem to remember that it was some type of
    Irish bar or pub. Haven't been there in a while, so I don't know if it is still there. Should we form a search
    party and raid the bar (if it is still there?).

"Sorry, Captain, no trace of a 1964-D Peace dollar, but we did find some nice porter. We will report back in
    an hour or two."

• Options
    CalebCaleb Posts: 739

<< <i>DCarr's fantasy piece has made it to a PCGS blog. Were these Peace bucks put into canvas bags? How were they all accounted for?

Fantasy blog

Several months later, the Coinage Act of 1965 was introduced. The Coinage Act would make it illegal to issue any Silver Dollars for circulation. Therefore, all 1964-D Peace Dollars had to be melted by law.

According to several Mint employees at the time, all 316,076 Genuine 1964-D Peace Dollars were melted. It was later confirmed that at least two examples were not melted, (even though Mint employees indicated that they were). Those two examples were then re-confirmed of being melted by Eva Adams, who was the Director of the U.S. Mint at the time.

There is speculation that additional Genuine 1964-D Peace Dollars also escaped the melting pot, as some employees were allowed to purchase the coins directly from the Mint. Additionally, there are rumors that Eva Adams sold a 1964-D Peace Dollar to a dealer at one time. In the past, Eva Adams is believed to have sold other coins not known to exist before, such as the 1964 Special Mint Set coins and others.

Recently, many 1964-D Peace Dollars were struck privately without the word “COPY” on them. If Genuine 1964-D Peace Dollars do exist, there is a possibility that Genuine examples might now be confused with the Fantasy 1964-D Peace Dollars that were privately struck just recently.

Should the Fantasy 1964-D Peace Dollars have the word “COPY” on them? >>

Somebody really likes to write fiction image
  • Options

<< <i>There used to be a bar right across the street from the Mint -- I seem to remember that it was some type of
    Irish bar or pub. Haven't been there in a while, so I don't know if it is still there. Should we form a search
    party and raid the bar (if it is still there?).

"Sorry, Captain, no trace of a 1964-D Peace dollar, but we did find some nice porter. We will report back in
    an hour or two."

image >>

The Great Lakes Brewing Co. in Cleveland makes a fine porter named "Edmund Fitzgerald."

Their slogan should be "Goes down easy!"

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>DCarr's fantasy piece has made it to a PCGS blog. Were these Peace bucks put into canvas bags? How were they all accounted for?

Fantasy blog

Should the Fantasy 1964-D Peace Dollars have the word “COPY” on them? >>

Somebody really likes to write fiction image >>

It's got to be true or it wouldn't be on an internet blog.image

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    A few years ago I got an eMail though one of those anonymizer sites from somebody claiming to have a 1964-D Peace Dollar, and stating they would be providing further details. Of course, nothing ever came of it. But, for a brief moment, I was pretty damned excited.

As to whether or not any examples exist? I'm sure they do. Over 300,000 were struck. Considering the chaotic nature of mint operations at the time, I think only a fool would bet against the liklihood that some escaped.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    .................call me a fool!image
  • Options
    Keets:

In all fairness, think about the 1933 Saint. I seriously doubt anyone thought that 10 would have been switched and placed in a SDB, but it happened.

It seems possible - even probable and the odds seem to favor that one employee bought one, possibly two 1964-D Peace Dollars and kept them. The coins could have been sold or even rest in a SDB waiting to be found again- stranger things have happened.

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The Mint has not always had an antagonistic attitude towards outsiders in general and collectors in particular. >>

...And as the letter states the left hand doesn't know what the right is doing at the mint.

Each department is distinct and has distinct procedures and responsibilities and no communication
    with other departments. For over thirty years the mint literature described mint sets as simply "reg-
    ular production strikes" but as CaptHenway is well aware they are much more like the "Mint's Secret
    Coins". They are higher quality and made in a somewhat different way.

The bottom line is there probably hasn't been a coin leave the mint since 1913 that was stolen other
    than a lot of error coins (and some '73 steel cents if the terms are loosely defined).

The mint thinks it can unstrike a coin as easily as it can unring a bell. Mebbe they're right. image
    Tempus fugit.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file