Home Precious Metals

unemployment fell we must be recovering right?

bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

The nonsense continues from the media and government

from Jim Quinn

Comments

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it all depends who ya are and who ones buddies are. jmo.
  • ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭
    People working in March 2008 - 137,892,000
    5 years later in March 2013 - 135,195,000 = 2.7 million fewer people working today

People in the work force (working or looking for work in January, 2013 - 155,654,000
    People in the work force in March 2013 - 155,028,000 = 600k fewer people working or looking for work just 2 months later

Yeah, it's really looking rosy out there. image
  • mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
  • 8+ million on SS disability.

My back hurts too!!!
  • tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    Not for me..
    COA
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The numbers are a blatant misrepresentation of our economic situation regarding employment. I cannot understand why our media (well, if we had a media interested in real journalistic principles) allows this charade to continue. There are Pulitzer prize potential stories out there, but the sheep in media lack the talent and drive to pursue them and expose the truth. Cheers, RickO
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1/6 of the nation on food stamps to start. yeah, were in good shape image
  • mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    Well, I believe most of us can acknowledge that the message is well managed, not completely but for the most part. The current admin has a solid reputation for being media experts; DYODD.
  • mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Rare video of a much younger Ben Bernanke

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageMAO...Good one mrearlygold....Cheers, RickO
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If everyone lost their jobs and didn't bother to look for another one, unemployment would be reported as zero.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Found on the web, looking for something else

an oldie but a goodie

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

I'd imagine that chart looks even worse now.

I knew it would happen.
  • mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    aren't more and more people on food stamps?
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,553 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>aren't more and more people on food stamps? >>

And that number WILL incease because we have an INCREASING population. But to your point, in 1980 about 10% of the population received food stamps. Today it is about 14%. But if we look a bit more closely we will see that in 1980 there were about 25 million people age 65 and older. Today there are over 40 million over the age of 65. It is not just young inner city moms with kids getting assistance, but also many older folk who are no longer in the workforce. This trend will continue until about 2025-2030 when the average boomer about 75 years old. Unless scientists find cures for our ills and push life expectancy much higher thus increasing the burden on those younger.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>But to your point, in 1980 about 10% of the population received food stamps. Today it is about 14%. >>

Barry is indeed, the food stamp president!
  • VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>aren't more and more people on food stamps? >>

And that number WILL incease because we have an INCREASING population. But to your point, in 1980 about 10% of the population received food stamps. Today it is about 14%. But if we look a bit more closely we will see that in 1980 there were about 25 million people age 65 and older. Today there are over 40 million over the age of 65. It is not just young inner city moms with kids getting assistance, but also many older folk who are no longer in the workforce. This trend will continue until about 2025-2030 when the average boomer about 75 years old. Unless scientists find cures for our ills and push life expectancy much higher thus increasing the burden on those younger. >>

Very few people on Social Security receive food assistance. Even near its minimum, Social Security income is too high to allow those persons to qualify.
  • LowBudgetLowBudget Posts: 383 ✭✭
    thats's a riot
    "I'm dropping my standards so that I can buy more"
    Nearly 10% of food stamp recipients are over age 60. This number will continue to grow for the next 15 years.

Everyday the number of people that turn 65 is about the same as turn 18.

<< <i>Nearly 10% of food stamp recipients are over age 60. This number will continue to grow for the next 15 years.

Everyday the number of people that turn 65 is about the same as turn 18. >>

Seniors really got hosed by the current and previous admins. Zero rate of returns on savings as food prices soar.

Most of those receiving food stamps have little savings I suspect, but reckless monetary policy has outpriced many at the grocery store.

They do get a half million bucks worth of end of life care though.

Yeesh we have messed things up. image
    Nearly 10% of food stamp recipients are over age 60.

Let's see.................that means...............100% minus 10% equals..................um.........................90% are under 60.

I knew it would happen.
  • daOnlyBGdaOnlyBG Posts: 1,060 ✭✭
    Kudos to the start ups for making jobs to hire others.
    Successful BST transactions with: blu62vette, Shortgapbob, Dolan, valente151, cucamongacoin, ajaan

Interests:
    Pre-Jump Grade Project
    Toned Commemoratives
  • VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nearly 10% of food stamp recipients are over age 60. This number will continue to grow for the next 15 years.

Everyday the number of people that turn 65 is about the same as turn 18. >>

That is true. And every day in the U.S. about 5,000 people over age 65 die too.

"The Baby Boomer Burden" is not responsible for the massive increase in food stamp usage that has gone from 27 million to 47 million recipients in the last 6 years.
    I didn't say that boomers were responsible for the increase. I was merely suggesting that the aged will become an increasing large percentage. The old will never grow out of dependency whereas the young at least have a chance.

Go volunteer at a food bank and you will witness the age demographics.

• LowBudgetLowBudget Posts: 383 ✭✭
    anyone who was concerned about America and jobs would go full steam ahead with the pipeline.
    "I'm dropping my standards so that I can buy more"
  • OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The numbers are a blatant misrepresentation of our economic situation regarding employment. I cannot understand why our media (well, if we had a media interested in real journalistic principles) allows this charade to continue. There are Pulitzer prize potential stories out there, but the sheep in media lack the talent and drive to pursue them and expose the truth. Cheers, RickO >>

+1

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The numbers are a blatant misrepresentation of our economic situation regarding employment. I cannot understand why our media (well, if we had a media interested in real journalistic principles) allows this charade to continue. There are Pulitzer prize potential stories out there, but the sheep in media lack the talent and drive to pursue them and expose the truth. Cheers, RickO >>

+1

Steve >>

I suspect it is news media management who refuses to rock the boat.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blame it on the weather

"The weather has become such a handy and versatile tool for economic apologists that we may expect that financial news stations will start featuring meteorologists more heavily than financial analysts. Move over Jim Cramer, hello Al Roker."

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

<< <i>Blame it on the weather

"The weather has become such a handy and versatile tool for economic apologists that we may expect that financial news stations will start featuring meteorologists more heavily than financial analysts. Move over Jim Cramer, hello Al Roker." >>

Fed economic figures were accepted as gospel until very recently, exception being the long juiced CPI numbers. Today all are suspect.