Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Have you ever been trolled on eBay?

I've been on since 1998, and this is the first time. See the below, which started with person asking my best price for a Mattingly card. It is mildly amusing on one level. I guess the guy sort of won in that he got me to engage in a dialogue, but his frustration seems to be growing the longer I refuse to stoop to his level.

Dear www.esquiresports.com,

I said NON Hall Of Famers do NOT command high premiums

Dear elvis_decanters,

Okay. That is your view and you are entitled to it, even if not supported. Did you see that his 1984 Topps Tiffany rookie just sold last week for $1100? And I sold his Donruss rookie in BGS 10 for $2750 less than a month ago. You can look it up on eBay.

That may be one of the highest prices paid for a 1980s baseball card in years. Those are very real premiums.

I mean NO rational person with half a brain pays BIG BUCKS for a NON HOF player in any sport
And if it says it was sold high , means the auction was rigged or shill bidding just to boost the other auction prices up

Dear elvis_decanters,

You're free to judge the intelligence of Mattingly fans, those who pay four figures for PSA 10s of common players but are low population, etc. To each their own. There are a lot of Mattingly fans out there like me who have memories of how good he was for a stretch. It is just supply and demand. I don't think you will see the Mattingly Donruss I sold resurface anytime soon and it's a population 1. The guy who bought it from me is a huge Mattingly fan and he also owns the other BGS 10 Nashville Sounds Mattingly.

If you look at the premiums that BGS 10s of 1980s cards are commanding over their PSA 10 counterparts, the pricing makes sense.

WOW , making a bold statement by saying a card wont resurface anytime soon with a population of 1 is really going out on a limb.
And you figured that all out without a pencil and a piece of paper and no calculator either.
I am impressed
Youre the best
Youre my hero

Dear elvis_decanters,

I was just letting you know that the other Mattingly cards were purchased by a collector and not a dealer.

Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.

Comments

• Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭
    I would have simply ignored him from the start and added him to my BBL

Silence is a powerful too

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    JaktJakt Posts: 573
    I've had some irrational buyers over the years, but never anything from someone just looking to pick a fight.
    I'm building a 1968 and a 1970 Topps set. I have lots of 1970s and 1960s to offer in trade.
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭
    God, there are some weird people out there.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,532 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I would have simply ignored him from the start and added him to my BBL

IMF >>

+1

Focus your energies on something positive ... like ripping packs image >>

+2. Except the ripping packs part, LOL..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    I've been suckered into similar idiot-versations a time or two. I found it's just a bit less frustrating to simply ignore such people that seem to have a lot more free time than I do.
    I'm a big Nolan Ryan fan OK???!!!
  • Options
    Best to completely ignore people like that. A friend of mine got into it with someone like that once and even though he blocked the guy from bidding, a friend of the guy bought a low dollar item from him just so he could leave negative feedback. It's not worth it.

Last night a guy bought a couple of $30 plus graded cards from me. This morning he sent me a note saying the urge to buy $6 worth of cards and $60 worth of plastic had passed and that he was not going to pay for the item and that I was free to report him if I wanted to. I canceled the transaction, blocked him and moved on without answering him directly. It's not worth the hassle.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    gotta be a board member. image
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭
    That guy show he really doesn't know whats ging on...........

sometimes its a $5 card and $95 plastic
    or $1 card and $199 plastic
    or $20 card and $500 plastic
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options

<< <i>

IMF >>

+1

Focus your energies on something positive ... like ripping packs image >>

+10
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the PSA 10 collector he didn't exist.

DaveB in St.Louis
  • Options
    I get people looking to fight all the time. They dont like my feedback or they think a card is graded to high, or my price is too high (even if I have BEST OFFER on it, my blocked bidder list is full of clowns that never bought from me. Some people have nothing better to do.
  • Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    Well if he would like to give me any Pete rose or shoeless joe Jackson cards I would be happy to send him 10 bucks and a self addressed stamped envelope
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    According to one nut-job, I, digicat, am a "cancer that is killing this once great hobby" because I refused to sell a card that sells day in and day out on Ebay for >$100 for the $20 that Beckett said it was worth. Fun stuff.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    would not have dignified that with a response. BBL and done.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    Baez578Baez578 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭

IMF >>

+1
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    username is familiar. I think he has had some issues in the past

google his username for some laughs
  • Options
    JuggsJuggs Posts: 495
    He seems like a sweet guy.