Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Repousse Coins (aka Push Outs or Pop Outs)

ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
I mentioned earlier that I wrote an article on penny exonumia and am also working on putting together an exhibit for the Summer ANA show in Chicago. Included in my penny exonumia collection are these cool Repousse Indian cents (aka push outs or pop outs). Here is a little information I found about these fun pieces:

These interesting pieces of exonumia are also known as “Pushed Up,” “3-D,” or “Repousse” coins. Many varieties exist, including Miss Liberty, Presidents, with Lincoln being the most common, as well as animals, Indians, political, religious, fraternal clubs, foreign themes, etc. Many pop-outs were made into jewelry, such as fobs, rings, pins, brooches, pendants, cuff links, etc. A book on pop out coins called “Pop Out Repousse Coins – a Numismatic Mystery” was published in 2011 by Robert (Stumpy) Stump, who passed away a few days after the book was sent to print.

I posted photos of these two Indian repousse's I took with my iPhone in my Baltimore show report, but here are Todd's wonderful photos of these two pieces I acquired at the Baltimore show!

They will go nicely with the Roosevelt push out that I already had in my collection.

Feel free to post any repousse coins you may have!!!
Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®

Comments

• Options
    nibannynibanny Posts: 2,761
    Just got my first "pop-out" coin last week.
    Liberty on my birth year Lincoln cent, gold plated.

The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • Options
    ranshdowranshdow Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are all very nice! I especially like that dime Lance.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just another way to ruin good coins. I hate coin jewelry, image sigh....wait, I think I have Kennedy half somewhere like those. Just because I have it does not mean that I like it..image
  • Options
    JcarneyJcarney Posts: 3,154
    “When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.” — Benjamin Franklin

My icon IS my coin. It is a gem 1949 FBL Franklin.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a large, autumn Garlic Festival where I live, and there are two 'coin jewelers' who display there.... they have several repousse coins displayed. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know how these are made? Are there obverse and reverse dies, as well as a collar to keep from expanding? I was an under bidder on one recently, which is largest I have seen (I guess I have seen on Morgans, but clads are even harder)

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

There's gotta be a hydraulic press involved in that push of metal. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

silly me. i thought charmy posted this ootb!

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,300 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got this one last year from a forum member and truly like it. Not sure how this was done without damage to the reverse, but maybe by a deep obverse die engraving. Not sure.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

FYI - This is from a 1/26/2017 Coin World article written by Paul Gilkes:

An unusual altered coin collecting specialty focuses on pieces referred to as pop-out, pushed-out or repoussé coins.

According to Encyclopedia Britannica.com, repoussé is “a method of decorating metals in which parts of the design are raised in relief from the back or the inside of the article by means of hammers and punches; definition and detail can then be added from the front by chasing or engraving.

“The name repoussé is derived from the French pousser, ‘to push forward.’ This ancient technique, which has been used extensively throughout the history of metalworking, achieved widespread popularity in Europe during the 16th, 17th, and 18th centuries.”

Collectors may encounter the 3-D artistry rendered on most U.S. coin denominations.

The design given 3-D proportions may not necessarily be the design originally struck into the coin, but there are exceptions.

For example, one may encounter a pushed-out rendition of John F. Kennedy forced from the reverse of a Kennedy half dollar.

One of the repoussé dies bears the raised design while the other bears a recessed area into which the raised die is forced under pressure, with a coin between serving as the host planchet.

The amount of pressure exerted determines how far the repoussé die pushes its design out from the surface of the struck coin.

Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®
  • Options

@ThePennyLady... Thanks for the article Charmy.... I would like to see a video of the process, have not found one yet. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

Finally found the photo of one that I used to own. Sold for a handsome profit.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    JazzmanJABJazzmanJAB Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭✭

Horrible Pic. It's suppose to be T.R

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    @ThePennyLady... Thanks for the article Charmy.... I would like to see a video of the process, have not found one yet. Cheers, RickO

I found one showing repousse - it involved a hammer a bunch of small punches and a die to push into. Also tempering the metal occasionally to help stretch and not crack metal. I do not know if that is how these are made.

• Options
    spirityoda1spirityoda1 Posts: 272 ✭✭✭✭

Here is my small pop out coins collection link: https://collectivecoin.com/spirityoda/all-coins/dzfi1c4m3mPoX2sX3I5p

click on pics to make them larger.

Coin Junky...

• Options

@spirityoda1 ... Nice collection, thanks for the link. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭✭✭

@davewesen said:
    Does anyone know how these are made? Are there obverse and reverse dies, as well as a collar to keep from expanding? I was an under bidder on one recently, which is largest I have seen (I guess I have seen on Morgans, but clads are even harder)

Thanks for reviving this missed thread.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really like the relief on these.

Who makes these?

• Options
    spirityoda1spirityoda1 Posts: 272 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 9, 2022 11:12AM

Not sure who makes them. There are vintage ones and modern ones being made.

Coin Junky...

• Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭✭✭

Larry

• Options

I have occasionally seen these at shows and on the forum from time to time. Never owned one... Almost purchased a Kennedy half once, but passed. Interesting when done well. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 17,646 ✭✭✭✭✭

These are the only 2 I own.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file