Home Precious Metals

Plated Engelhard Prospectors on eBay

VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
Check out this listing and this seller's other listings. Clearly being sold as plated but marked as 999 Fine Silver.

eBay Listing

Comments

• PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    These appear to be different than the other fake 1 oz prospectors from a little while ago. IIRC on the older fakes the bottom left corner of the big E broke the plane of the circle. On these ones the E looks more normal.

They do still have that proof look to them though, so they should be easy to spot.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thats the new business model . This guy buys them for 20 cents each from china and sells for 2 or 3 bucks and makes a 10x profit . Someone else then resells them as real and makes another 10x profit minus returns. The first guy makes his money without risk basically and the second guy takes all the selling risk so he has to work much harder.

When called on it the second guy will pretend he didn't know they were fake and refund quickly the few that complain. The complainers probably want their money back so they keep quiet at least until they get the refund . If need be the guy has to take a year off with that ID and uses another until the negs drop off.

I got suckered into buying some fakes from a big ebay seller last year that way and I could tell by the way he handled the return that he was well practiced in it.
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He is one of the few that at least has this junk listed in the correct category: Exonumia - Plated & Clad Bars

Along with a description that they are plated. I see a lot of other eBay sellers who "forget" that minor detail
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing !!! image
    Timbuk3
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    btw..you can buy them direct from our "friends" in China @ $3.15 per round. 100 rounds minimum.

Aliexpress aka Alibaba
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."

• << <i>Thats the new business model . This guy buys them for 20 cents each from china and sells for 2 or 3 bucks and makes a 10x profit . Someone else then resells them as real and makes another 10x profit minus returns. The first guy makes his money without risk basically and the second guy takes all the selling risk so he has to work much harder.

When called on it the second guy will pretend he didn't know they were fake and refund quickly the few that complain.

]
    image Its a legal way to get the fakes on the market.. and should be reported (at least to Ebay) that they are not marked as copies.
    reported..
  • Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Geez. Grading bars and rounds is sounding better everyday.
    I have a set of SAEs on the NGC registry and I was so sorry I started the set because of the premium on some of them. Now I feel that the graded portion of my silver holdings may be the way to go.
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Thats the new business model . This guy buys them for 20 cents each from china and sells for 2 or 3 bucks and makes a 10x profit . Someone else then resells them as real and makes another 10x profit minus returns. The first guy makes his money without risk basically and the second guy takes all the selling risk so he has to work much harder.

When called on it the second guy will pretend he didn't know they were fake and refund quickly the few that complain.

]
    image Its a legal way to get the fakes on the market.. and should be reported (at least to Ebay) that they are not marked as copies.
    reported.. >>

ebay will pull if you report as "counterfeit, item not marked as plated."

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    eBay is making it awfully easy for these bars to be sold and resold. They have scads of exclusions already on their books. They should not have a category for these items, they should simply not be allowed to be sold.

They don't allow counterfeit YSL handbags to be sold. How can they offer a whole category dedicated to counterfeit name brand bullion? That lends legitimacy. There is simply no place for fake bullion.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
    they can also be reported to ebay as copyright enfringement if they are made to appear as a legit, existing product.

<< <i>btw..you can buy them direct from our "friends" in China @ $3.15 per round. 100 rounds minimum.
    Aliexpress aka Alibaba >>

Check out his silver eagles

• gdavis70gdavis70 Posts: 256 ✭✭✭
    Why isn't Englehard suing everyone involved including ebay?
  • LowBudgetLowBudget Posts: 383 ✭✭

<< <i>Why isn't Englehard suing everyone involved including ebay? >>

was just gonna ask why Engelhard would allow any of this?
    "I'm dropping my standards so that I can buy more"
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

was just gonna ask why Engelhard would allow any of this? >>

Why is eBay allowing any of this?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    I don't think Engelhard is even an entity these days?

But Sunshine, or the US government for that matter, must surely have these guys on their radar. The "silver" eagles they are selling even say United States and 1 dollar on them...
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections

On May 30, 2006, Engelhard was taken over by BASF.

• ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭
    There are federal laws against this sort of thing.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>There are federal laws against this sort of thing. >>

Hobby Protection Act among other laws. Of course, eBay will claim they are only a venue and are not responsible.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe the chumps are the suckers paying $30+ for real ones, when one that looks just the same can be had for 1/10 that price and stuck in the safe where they sit there just the same image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Geez. Grading bars and rounds is sounding better everyday.

Why? Hypothetical if this stuff ever becomes currency, it's the first thing someone will do to determine if it's real; crack it out and test it.
    Seems like putting these fake rounds in a fake holder would make their job that much easier.