Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

thoughts on V nickel/and who are the Liberty nickel collectors here?

ad4400ad4400 Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
This seems to be priced just at, or slightly below HA auction results, whereas I usually expect retailers to price above auction. Am I missing something here? PCGS64

imageimage

Comments

• Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Nice looking 64, IMHO.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Corn above the 'E' in CENTS looks more like corn than sausage, so the strike is decent. image

• Options
    MowgliMowgli Posts: 1,219
    A nice strike. The price of $295 seems fair to me. These are not hard to find especially with this toning so I wouldn't expect to pay more than what you see on HA or at Numismedia.
    In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.
  • Options
    ad4400ad4400 Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So who are the liberty nickel collectors here on these boards? I’ve met a number of Buffalo enthusiasts and WLH experts here who were very helpful mentors as I built those sets. Would love to find another mentor type as I start this new set. PM me if this is you!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the look of the coin in the OP.

I think in the future I could be persuaded to pursue a set of Liberty nickels without too much arm-twisting.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I collect Liberty nickels, but mostly proofs. I have just a few business strikes. They seem too cheap in MS64 if they are nice for the grade. The coin posted looks pretty average for the grade.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know of several - erwindoc is working on well struck MS64 set, JMW is working or maybe completed a high AU well struck set, and I sold some raw Proofs
    (that later slabbed OK) to a third member, but can't remember who right now image

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭✭✭
    HA auction results run the gamut for 'product' to nice coins for the grade. Pricing includes the 15%, now 17 1/2% buyers fee. Many dealers can't get Heritage prices for their coins because they don't have the audience of the Heritage organization.

Strike is good for this date. The obverse image to me would work in a 5 holder details wise, though I don't like the light purple hue. The surfaces of this coin appear to be quite clean, so to me, the coin was net graded. It could be because the eye appeal of the coin is unattractive.

The reverse makes me run away from the coin.

1) The light purple color to me is suspect. As a matter of first impression, I think something was done to the coin, and I don't like it. This is not album toning. Due to the metallic mix in the coin, you will often see copper streaky toning on mid grade uncs in this series, but one would not expect to see this kind of natural toning on a Liberty Nickel.
    2) To the viewer's lt. of the V, there appears to be some sort of fingerprint, though it might be on the holder, not the coin. But if whatever this may be is on the coin, it's distracting.

If you want one of these in MS 64, I'd tell you to get one whose color isn't so funky and has the number of ticks one would expect with said grade.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    MowgliMowgli Posts: 1,219
    I collect these. I have an MS 63-64 set I did some time ago and am working on an PF 65 set. Finding nice proofs without splotchy toning is hard to do but that is what I'm working on.
    In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.
  • Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think there is a pretty good-sized abrasion on Liberty's neck, which is not so obvious from the photo. Also, the cheek marks are distracting. I think these marks are very typical for a 64, and if people don't like the toning on top of that, then maybe we can rationalize the asking price.

• Options
    dbemikedbemike Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭
    Personally I like all the stars struck on the obverse over the ear of corn on reverse, but I believe most V nickle collectors judge the reverse. I like the 1889 in your pic.

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had an AU set with a couple of 64's, but sold it a few years back. It's one I'm debating putting back together.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options

<< <i>HA auction results run the gamut for 'product' to nice coins for the grade. Pricing includes the 15%, now 17 1/2% buyers fee. Many dealers can't get Heritage prices for their coins because they don't have the audience of the Heritage organization.

Strike is good for this date. The obverse image to me would work in a 5 holder details wise, though I don't like the light purple hue. The surfaces of this coin appear to be quite clean, so to me, the coin was net graded. It could be because the eye appeal of the coin is unattractive.

The reverse makes me run away from the coin.

1) The light purple color to me is suspect. As a matter of first impression, I think something was done to the coin, and I don't like it. This is not album toning. Due to the metallic mix in the coin, you will often see copper streaky toning on mid grade uncs in this series, but one would not expect to see this kind of natural toning on a Liberty Nickel.
    2) To the viewer's lt. of the V, there appears to be some sort of fingerprint, though it might be on the holder, not the coin. But if whatever this may be is on the coin, it's distracting.

If you want one of these in MS 64, I'd tell you to get one whose color isn't so funky and has the number of ticks one would expect with said grade. >>

This was my essentially my thinking as well - I only collected these for a bit about 25 years ago, but this looks less than average to my memory. Golden, slightly splotchy or more, yes, but this seems to have may little things going on. I'd wait for a nicer example. I don't know about finding a real screamer, but this just whispers. My .02 on your .05 image

Eric
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps the seller just wants to sell and does not care about making a "killing" so to speak?

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its a fun set. Id recommend starting one. Most of the people that have commented on this post are collectors or have helped collectors. As far as the nickel goes, its a pretty good strike with only a little weakness in the obverse stars and hair. Ok on the reverse. Auction results tend to fall in place but retail might be a tad bit higher.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file