Home U.S. Coin Forum

Anyone buying these Girl Scout Silver Dollars tomorrow, Thursday February 28th??

GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭✭
Got to love proof silver and girl scout diversity.....pass.
The reverse leaves me scratching my head.

imageimageimage

Join the Girl Scouts in celebrating their first hundred years! This proof 2013 Girl Scouts of the USA Centennial Silver Dollar is extraordinarily brilliant and features sharp relief and a mirror-like background to highlight the images on both sides of the coin.

The obverse (heads side) design was inspired by both the historical and contemporary aspects of Girl Scouting and by its mission statement: "Girl Scouting builds girls of courage, confidence, and character, who make the world a better place." It depicts three girls who represent the different ages and diversity of Girl Scouts of the USA. Inscriptions include COURAGE, CONFIDENCE and CHARACTER, key elements of the Girl Scouts mission statement. The 100th anniversary Trefoil symbol signifies the centennial anniversary. Additional inscriptions are 2013, LIBERTY and IN GOD WE TRUST.

The reverse (tails) design depicts the iconic Profiles of Girl Scouts of the USA with the inscriptions UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, E PLURIBUS UNUM, $1 and GIRL SCOUTS.

The introductory price of $54.95 will be in effect from 12 noon (ET), on February 28, 2013, through 5 p.m. (ET) on March 29, 2013, after which the regular price of $59.95 will be in effect.

Mintage Limit: 350,000

Household Limit: None

Mint Link

Comments

• MarkMark Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sure hope and pray the mint's website will be up to the huge crush of orders that are bound to flood in at 12 noon... image

More seriously, I eventually will buy 2, one for me and one for my daughter.
    Mark

• LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My wife was a girl scout and she thought it was just silly.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Raybob15239Raybob15239 Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭
    Didnt they have to put a girl on the Boy Scout's coin because it was wrong to just commemorate the Boy Scouts?
    Successful B/S/T transactions: As Seller: PascoWA (June 2008); MsMorrisine (April 2009); ECHOES (July 2009) As Buyer: bfjohnson (July 2008); robkool (Dec 2010); itsnotjustme (Dec 2010) TwoSides2aCoin (Dec 2018) PrivateCoin Jan 2019
  • ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope, I bought a Boy Scout commemorative which covered me for both since there's a girl on that one. image
  • The female on the Boy Scouts Commemorative is a Venturer, a program for teenagers that is part of the BSA and is open to females and males.

Charles Morgan
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd rather buy thin mints.
    Lance.
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My daughter is a Girl Scout. I think I will buy one for her. image
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    no boy?

sexists!

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No coin (or any other mint offerings), but I did place an order for 6 boxes of thin mints this week.

Ummmmmmm. Thin mints............

FYI, they're even better if you eat them frozen!
  • FredFFredF Posts: 526 ✭✭✭
    I'm gonna buy one for my daughter, but I think the price appreciation potential of this thing is negative. If not for her, I wouldn't touch it.

However, I actually like the reverse design, given that it's a girl scout coin so it was going to be something themed that way.

Successful BST (me as buyer) with: Collectorcoins, PipestonePete, JasonRiffeRareCoins

• LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'd rather buy thin mints.
    Lance. >>

Just got mine day before yesterday, guess what was dessert tonight.
  • ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭
    That is a really ugly design.
  • CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll pass on this one. It's just more PC cr@p from the Mint that should be on a medal, not a coin.

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • The reverse design is essentially the GSA's trefoil logo, which was designed in 1978 by Saul Bass. The girls' profiles were modified slightly a couple of years ago to give them a more contemporary look. Several of the other reverse design proposals for this coin showed more or less the same thing so perhaps it was a required element.

Bass is best known for AT&T's old bell logo (1969) as well as doing the graphics for the opening sequence of Psycho.
    Robert

• << <i>My daughter is a Girl Scout. I think I will buy one for her. image >>

My daughter is a girl scout as well...I bought the cookies but I just can bring myself to buy this coin...I don't like the design image
  • AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got hosed on the Boy Scout version that included Gals. NOPE

I will however, keep buying the cookies from ambitious GALS that have a purpose for the sales.
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>No coin (or any other mint offerings), but I did place an order for 6 boxes of thin mints this week.

FYI, they're even better if you eat them frozen! >>

One of the most important recommendations ever posted on this forum.image
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>No coin (or any other mint offerings), but I did place an order for 6 boxes of thin mints this week.

FYI, they're even better if you eat them frozen! >>

One of the most important recommendations ever posted on this forum.image >>

Agreed....and to think this coming from a Dad that said: "My daughter is a Girl Scout. I think I will buy one for her.image"
    So sweet!!! imageimage
  • 53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Got hosed on the Boy Scout version that included Gals. NOPE

I will however, keep buying the cookies from ambitious GALS that have a purpose for the sales. >>

The girl represented Venture Scouts, the fastest growing segment of scounting in the U.S.
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ummm......no way in he!!
    Diversity can take a flying leap. I want designs and cool coins.

Now, maybe if they gave out a box of thin mints with each coin, then maybe image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll be in the holding pattern for now. image

Hoard the keys.
  • MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

I'm in for one of each as I want the set to stay current.
    I'm also in for a half dozen Thin Mints, too...
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • JedPlanchetJedPlanchet Posts: 907 ✭✭✭
    The joke around our house is that Thin Mints have only two servings, one sleeve per person. image

Passing on the coin though.
    Whatever you are, be a good one. ---- Abraham Lincoln
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FOUR sets of designer initials. I do think that IS a record.
  • BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭
    Not interested.....cookies yes, coin no
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'd rather buy thin mints.
    Lance. >>

I have 60 boxes in the shop I purchased from family. If anyone buys a coin off my website, I will send you a free box of cookies.
    will purchase girl scout coins because I love girls and my country, and must continue on this endeavor as much as some things suck.
  • I'll be buying one (maybe not tomorrow) as I've bought an uncirculated example ever since 1983. Why stop now?
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The joke around our house is that Thin Mints have only two servings, one sleeve per person. image >>

image I've been saying the same for years.

Not going to touch the coin, though. Good to see that a committee of 4 can come up with a design every bit as vapid and sterile as the Boy Scout commem.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I collect the modern commemoratives so I will get a Proof example to keep up my set. I don't think that there should be a problem ordering from the mint once the intial rush is over.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Negative on the coin purchase.
    Will continue to buy the cookies.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    This is so typical of the modern Mint's kind of pc designs that fall short of inspiration. I doubt they will ever see any numismatic premium. If you want to support the gs then maybe do it directly. Of course as a gift to a young girl in the program, I could see that.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭
    if they came with a box of thin mints I,m in
  • CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    Mint mints? I think they may have missed marketing gold.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll wait for the special collector's set, depending on what is in it.

Thin mints contain palm oil, which is grown from deforested trees in Indonesia. Think of the orangutans!

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    Nothing more from the mint for me. Have not bought anything in over 2 years.
  • kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭
    Not very appealing to me. I will pass.
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Mint mints? I think they may have missed marketing gold. >>

• 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    I will PASS.

The USM with all of it's diversity designs is starting to get OLD. Stop shoving it down our throats on every design they produce...............

Just pick one girl for the design and go with it. I don't care which race, ethnic background, disability, sexual orientation, etc. is shown. Rotate it from year to year or coin to coin featuring a unknown woman or man.

It doesn't matter to me. It probably doesn't matter to many collectors.

This would allow for more design space for much more important things like the "cookie table" that is always outside you local department store or mall - or the "Thin Mints" cookie box!
  • CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    Pass, but I do like the thin mints, never tried the orangutans, they must not be available in my area.
  • CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The reverse leaves me scratching my head.

image >>

Its the Girl Scouts logo..

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not interested at this time ... saving up for the "Field Marshals aka 5 Star Generals"image
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file