Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Hairlines on circulated Gold

AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
One aspect of collecting that I have had some difficulty with is determining whether hairlines on circulated gold are from a cleaning, or from being in circulation. I have seen many examples in all grades that have some hairlines, but are in problem free holders.

What should I look for in differentiating between circulation and cleaning? I know cleaned coins usually show unidirectional parallel lines, while circulation lines are more haphazard.

Please post examples of both if you have them.
Thanks image
All coins kept in bank vaults.
PCGS Registries
Box of 20
SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!

Comments

• Options
    nagsnags Posts: 793 ✭✭✭✭
    Great question and I hope that people will respond to this. I also have a huge problem in telling the difference between cleaned/uncleaned AU gold.
  • Options
    Would not there be, under good mag, great similarity with lines from a wiping or cleaning and less observable similarities between random lines from hairlines gained in any number of ways? Location and all must be a factor too, having seen so many (the OP).

Eric
  • Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    I don't think it's a matter of determining the source of the hairlines (cleaning vs circulation) but rather a determination of the quantity and placement and whether it is market acceptable vs not.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,767 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe the answer has to do with the difference between a hard and soft metal
    such as silver vs gold

and good question for the board

LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought of this same thing the other day when examining an 1866 $5 PCGS XF45 CAC which was bright but had no obvious evidence of over dipping or harsh cleaning. Under 8x magnification the non-directional hairlines were clearly present across the surfaces but were not concentrated. These hairlines were certainly market acceptable and passed CAC but they turned me off to the coin. (I'll post a picture later)

I went home and looked at my collection and had absolutely none of these hairlines present on my gold which are all in XF-AU grades. For context, I collect mostly dirty, very original gold with original surfaces of which most are CAC'd. For me I find that when I buy I am judging for originality, and color in addition to the normal strike, luster, technical surfaces, etc. My internal judgement is that the presence of hairlines on XF-AU gold likely results from improper handling to some degree. While often times not significant nor market relevant, it is a factor for me as a discriminating buyer.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hairline scratches are something that one can expect on any circulated coin, especially gold because it is so soft. The problem comes when the hairlines form a pattern. They might be straight lines which could imparted by a coin brush, or they might be in swirls.

The pattern question is key. If it is just a random line either straight or curved, you would prefer that it was not there, but it falls into the "stuff happens in circulation" category. If it looks like it is the product of the application of a tool, like a brush, then that can be the root of a problem.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are some excellent points made in this thread, including...

I know cleaned coins usually show unidirectional parallel lines, while circulation lines are more haphazard.

and

I don't think it's a matter of determining the source of the hairlines (cleaning vs circulation) but rather a determination of the quantity and placement and whether it is market acceptable vs not.

and

My internal judgement is that the presence of hairlines on XF-AU gold likely results from improper handling to some degree.

and

I believe the answer has to do with the difference between a hard and soft metal such as silver vs gold

I really do not have much to add other than I tend to assess originality on the basis of the color of the coin, first. If I am confronted with a bright yellow gold coin and am trying to decide whether the hairlines are from cleaning or not, it is mostly an academic exercise as I am not going to like or buy the coin. If I have a coin with the correct color, and there are a few hairlines, it does not bother me much. If there are a lot of hairlines, it does bother me.

For historical context, in the early PCGS days, hairlines were considered significant detractions, and I suspect that many of the "undergraded" gold coins in OGHs were docked because of innocuous hairlines that we are much more forgiving of today.
  • Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some excellent points given.
    Here's an example from my own collection, though I did part with this coin several months ago when this visible cleaning became more and more evident as I learned more.
    I purchased this coin as an AU.....not really noticing all the hairlines at the time.....
    As time passed though, and I learned more, and picked up a few more bits of Gold, the past cleaning on this one began to grate on me more and more.
    Note, the darker areas around the devices, the almost scrubbed look with parallel lines running through some of the fields- especially on the reverse.
    Sorry that the pics are less than ideal. I just threw this composite together quick and dirty for this thread.

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nature abhors parallel lines.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice example to learn what to look for and avoid there nwcoast.
  • Options
    AngryTurtleAngryTurtle Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭
    To me NWCOAST's pics above of the 1861 is an excellent example. I would grade the obverse Market acceptable, and agree with his diagnosis of the Reverse as being cleand past the point that I would like to see at least.
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I really do not have much to add other than I tend to assess originality on the basis of the color of the coin, first. ......If I have a coin with the correct color, and there are a few hairlines, it does not bother me much. If there are a lot of hairlines, it does bother me >>

The color of a gold coin tells you as much or more about its quality and any other feature which is assessed. Sticking to coins with the "right color" will invariably lead you to coins of superior quality, perhaps more so than any other diagnostic.
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i'm still trying to figure this out:

link to cleaned silver
  • Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is an example that shows many random hairlines in the fields.

I have not upgraded this one on account of the color.

• Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hairlines from cleaning usually are uniform. they go the same direction, are on the same plane, and do not discriminate from fields or devices. they can be seen all over the coin at the same angle and on both sides. at other angles, you don't see them.

hairlines from circulation are random. everything about them is random.

here's a coin that looks pretty good at first glance. i can tell you it even has swirling cartwheel luster! but, it's cleaned.

imageimage

here's the coin at a different angle:

circulation lines won't ever look like this. i bought this coin knowing it is cleaned...it's a great example to observe.
  • Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's another example from my collection:
    As opposed to my other example, this coin I find less objectionable, with many random hairlines and small dings while still retaining some luster.
    So, for me, this one's a keeper and the other is history....

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file