Home Precious Metals
Options

What do you think of the anti-counterfeiting feature on the new Sunshine Silver bars?

PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
They have a security feature called the "MINT MARK SI" on the back where you can put a special "Decoder Lense" over it and VALID appears and when you rotate it 90 degress a sunburst appears on their genuine bars. It looks neat and it seems like it would be very hard to counterfeit. Anyone seen one in hand? With all the counterfeits coming out of china this new technology may be the future.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

Comments

• Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    perryhall, that sounds like a great idea and incentive to buy their bars as I bet that feature is hard to fake
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I were buying bars now, I'd be investing in a good scale and in practicing the measurement of volume displacement in order to be able to determine the density of the bar. That would limit my ability to buy through the mail or on the road.

I don't know how easily this technology would be to circumvent, but advanced security measures are a good marketing move, imo.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Check out the Sunshine silver bars at APMEX. They show pics of this anti-counterfeiting feature. I'm guessing the "Decoder Lens" is some kind of polarizing filter and the "Mint Mark SI" is some kind of micro-engraving. Looks like it would be extremely difficult to counterfeit.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now that is unique.... certainly a good step forward. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think every step forward in preventing counterfeiting is worth while and I'm happy to see sunshine taking steps to prevent, or at least slow down, the counterfeiters.
    If these refiners do nothing, it will ultimately be to their detriment. Faith and credit, without it you have nothing, isn't that partly why we hold metals. image
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hoping to see one shortly !!! image
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    I bought few Sunshine Minting bars last week but I didn't the get the Decoder Lens. $19 is too much for a plastic card...
    They should be here tomorrow, will let you know how the security feature looks when on hand.
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • Options
    I saw the decoder lense just yesterday in hand. However, I didn't realize what it was. Also the 10 oz bar did not have a serial number. Anyone know why Sunshine is not engraving/stamping serial numbers?image
  • Options

<< <i>I saw the decoder lense just yesterday in hand. However, I didn't realize what it was. Also the 10 oz bar did not have a serial number. Anyone know why Sunshine is not engraving/stamping serial numbers?image >>

Many silver bars don't have serial numbers. They really serve no purpose other than inventory control in an industrial setting.

• Options

<< <i>I bought few Sunshine Minting bars last week but I didn't the get the Decoder Lens. $19 is too much for a plastic card...
    They should be here tomorrow, will let you know how the security feature looks when on hand. >>

Agree that $19 is expensive for a plastic card but it's a one time purchase and it may be expensive to manufacture with the decoder feature.

• Options
    It should be made available free to purchasers, that would promote and encourage stackers to buy that product.
    What now, if 50 silver smelters come out with the same thing, I dont want to have to buy 50 de-coders...

A good start, but a guy could still drill out the guts and fill it like has been done to large bars...
    Support your local Coin Shop
    LM-ANA3242-CSNS308-MSNS226-ICTA
  • Options
    tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    I'm waiting to buy the counterfeit ones, cheaper.
    COA
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I bought few Sunshine Minting bars last week but I didn't the get the Decoder Lens. $19 is too much for a plastic card...
    They should be here tomorrow, will let you know how the security feature looks when on hand. >>

Agree that $19 is expensive for a plastic card but it's a one time purchase and it may be expensive to manufacture with the decoder feature. >>

I thought it didn't make sense to buy it from the same source of the bars...I hope they check what they sell image
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009